Delta Crash Kills 49 People, Pilot Survives

A Delta aircraft crashed yesterday shortly after trying to take off from the wrong, shorter runway. Of the plane’s 50 occupants, only one, the pilot, lived.

Times may be tough, Delta declared bankruptcy last year, but using the shorter runway is not a justifiable a cost cutting measure…

Comments

1. Kluv says:

I’m not usually the “overly sensitive” type, but guys — making a joke about this is outta line.

2. Nifle says:

I’m supporting Kluv on this one. I know people’s whose primary job fuction is to go in and do recovery and analysis when events like this occur, not a joking situation.

3. Hawkins says:

I’m the biggest insensitive clod you’ll ever meet, but even I must respectfully concur with Mr. Kluv.

4. Anonymously says:

Wow, and here I thought that he was being serious about the short runway being the cause of the crash.

5. Please, why are you guys so freaking insensitive? It’s obviously Popken and Brownlee’s constitutional RIGHT as a FREAKIN’ HUMAN BEING to make obnoxious jokes at the expense of people who died in a horrible conflagration. Remember the plane was mostly intact on the outside, just remember how those people died. Smoke and fire burned it from the inside out. There was a scramble of people trying to call out on their cell phones…

Maybe Popken and Brownlee can link us to an Arab T-shirt with the “Delta costcutting measures” joke (complete with picture of burning plane) right on the front written in Farsi/Arabic/English/and French.

6. Where’s the “Delta cost-cutting measures” T-shirt complete with picture of burning plane on the front? You can have it written in Arabic/French/Farsi and English.

Come on guys, it’s Popken and Brownlee’s right as a FREAKIN’ human being to make a joke about a terrible conflagration that slowly burned people alive from the inside out.

(I apologize of this is a duplicate)

7. Do’h… stupid back button.

8. Triteon says:

On the Kluv-wagon…this is way out of line.

9. That’s just cheap… like Delta.
    The cause of the fire will likely turn out to ther be a terrorist… or something Delta cut corners on.

10. Triteon says:

Gents remember, Comedy=Tragedy x Time.

11. RandomHookup says:

Didn’t Howard Stern get his start nationally making a similar bad taste joke?

12. Plasmafire says:

I thought it was only the Copilot that survived, not the pilot.

13. aka Cat says:

I took it as the sort of humor one uses when you have to either laugh or cry. As such, I wasn’t offended.

However, it really is the sort of thing that belongs on a private blog, not The Consumerist.

14. homerjay says:

Wow, see how one bad decision can negate years of quality journalism, Ben?

Give the guy a break, he made a bad judgement call.

15. Joel Johnson says:

Lighten up, freaks.

16. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

I must have missed the memo to wear my sensitive pants today. I didn’t find that at all harmful or tastless.

Of all the stuff that gets posted here I’m not sure why so many of you found this one in particular to be so offensive. As far as tastless humour goes I thought this one was pretty mild.

17. Kluv says:

Guys — I have much love for the Consumerist guys and the work they do. All I’m doing is, like any good consumer, providing feedback (which they can take or leave).

18. Ishmael says:

You’ve hit that elusive “Funny, but Wrong’ category. Bravo!

Keep it up!

19. Nice S_A!

20. Chi says:

Oddily I thought the paper this morning said that the “co-pilot” was the only surivor instead of the “pilot”. Either way, hopefully when the “pilot” recovers inquiring minds can ask him what went wrong.

21. Bobbwa says:

I know this is an old topic but if anyone cares, the first officer was the one in control of the plane when it crashed and it wasn’t a delta flight it was comair. There is a difference.