Confessions of a Generic Magazine

Rony over at Are You Generic? sent us a link to these disestablishmentarianist stickers he hopes you’ll print out and plaster all over those three hundred page advertisement magazines conservatively injected with gray pablum content that people — for whatever incredible reason — actually pay good money for.

The stickers read:

The confessions of a generic magazine: “We loaded this issue with more advertising than content. The content we did publish was edited, censored and manipulated to please our advertisers or as lame filler between the product pushing ads. We got paid quite handsomely to produce this issue and are glad you will pay to read what we already got paid to print.” Are You Generic?

Should you go into your local Border’s and start defacing property you don’t own, just to send a snarky message to a surprised People Magazine reader sitting on her toilet one afternoon? No. Should you deface your own property with these stickers? Why not just punch yourself in the face instead?

Confessions of a Generic Magazine [AreYouGeneric.org]

Comments

1. Transuranic says:

While I love the idea and implementation, I don’t think anyone’s going to SEE it in one of those mags unless it comes with luscious lash photos, pull-your-own-bootstrap bra footage, or eau-de-sluttoire slahtered all over it.

2. MrEleganza says:

Maybe one shouldn’t go to Borders and start defacing the mags with these stickers, but my hat is off to anyone who does.

3. misskaz says:

Call me crazy, but I love Lucky magazine, which I’m sure would qualify to get plastered with these stickers. But a couple times a year it’s downright fun to see not only the articles (it’s a magazine… about shopping!) but also the ads. I like to gawk at what awful fashions will once again not look right on me (or just about anyone else) this season.

4. trixare4kids says:

I fail to see why anyone would care so much about what other people are reading or looking at. Don’t like it or don’t agree with it? Don’t read it and don’t buy it. Same for TV and radio you don’t like: Turn the channel. Consumers have the ultimate say so; they are making this crap because someone is buying it. Get off your high, snarky horses and go make some content yourself, or save some whales or spend time on something that actually matters.

There are magazines out there with loads of content which leads me right into a shameless plug for my personal favorite and vote for the most amazing magazine out there: The Sun

“Founded in 1974, The Sun is a non-profit, ad-free monthly magazine that publishes an eclectic mix of personal essays, fiction, interviews, poetry, and photographs.”

5. ADM says:

I agree with trix. People who read these dumb magazines know they (the magazines) are dumb. Who needs a snotty sticker campaign to point that out?

ps. I think this is the second time recently that you guys have badly misused “disestablishmentarian”. I think you mean “anti-establishment” or similar.

6. OkiMike says:

If I want to feel unattractive and unfashionable then I’ll pick up the latest issue of GQ dammit.

Thankfully, it comes and goes in phases.