The CSPC Hates Kids’ Chemistry Sets

Speaking of ridiculous product bans, chemistry sets and model rockets for kids are probably the next thing to go.

United Nuclear is imploring help fighting a CPSC criminal action against them for selling chemicals to unlicensed hobbyists… chemicals that could be used against the heartland of America in a terrorist attack! Or to teach a kid the wonders of science. Same thing!

The United States CPSC has initiated criminal legal action against us and other chemical suppliers. In short, the CPSC would like to ban the public from all access to chemicals. This would mean an end to hobbies such as model rocketry, pyrotechnics and of course chemistry. One by one, our freedoms are slowly being taken away from us – this action must be stopped now.

They’re asking for donations to fight the charges, from $25 to $1000. We’re with them: safety paranoia goes too far when anything that can be dangerous is criminal. Especially when what they are trying to outlaw is a ten year old building a battery for a science fair, or fondly remembering constructing a model rocket in the backyard with his dad one Halcyon summer weekend.

United Nuclear Legal Action Page

Comments

1. airship says:

Chemistry sets are a vital force in encouraging America’s youth to pursue careers in science. Banning them would just be wrong.
    I myself remember making many interesting scientific discoveries with mine. My very first scientific observation was noting that filling the house with sulphur fumes had the biological effect of making my mother develop instant Turretts Syndrome. Fascinating.
    In my day, you could not only purchase the legendary Gilbert’s Chemistry Set, but they also made an Atomic Energy set. That’s right, in the 60’s they let grade school children experiment with nuclear energy right in their own bedrooms.
    I miss the good old days.

2. I remember getting a book from the library with instructions on how to make a model volcano for a science project in 3rd grade. My mother and I went to several local stores looking for the ingredients, but the one we could not locate, the elusive potassium nitrate, we later learned was a controlled substance because it was a primary ingredient in gun powder. I concluded that kids in the 50’s (the book was published in 195~) had way more fun.

3. Josh Cohen says:

When I was a wee lad, I had both a chemistry and a biology set. All I did with the former was mix stuff up and see what fizzed or melted things, and all I did with the latter was start a brine shrimp farm. (The little suckers always got lost when I dipped them in the cocktail sauce.)

The safety thing also caused my high school chemistry class to suck. We had to use micro-pipettes and micro-test-tubes, so not only did we have to do complex math problems to figure out the amount of chemical x that went into the solution, but we had to do them in weird fractions because the micro-test-tubes held less than half a thimbleful of liquid.

4. Bubba Barney says:

Ah, science class memories. My middle school science teacher was showing us how sodium and water are a volatile combination.

He had a chunk of sodium, and as he was trying to shave off a piece to throw in a beaker of water, the entire chunk fell in to the beaker. He ran, we sat there wondering why he freaked out.

Then the glass beaker exploded and the sodium/water mix gurgled and bubbled and smoked as it exploded, leaving a layer of it anything in the immediate area.

Good times.

5. AcidReign says:

…..Or someone steals the sodium, flushes it down a toilet, and blows the school’s plumbing to kingdom come!

6. limiter says:

I agree with the CSPC. You won’t be bitching about this after some terrorist buys a chemistry set at WalMart and blows up your city. Water should be banned too because I heard it has enough energy to power a city from a single glass of water. Just think if terrorists made cold fusion work, they could destroy all of america with a single bucket of water!

7. Kat2 says:

Oh geez. I had a chemistry set. After a friend and I were playing with it, she had little blue dots up her arm… so I dialed poison control. (We were maybe 11 and home alone.) They said it was just a dye, methylene blue, and that anything in a kids’ chemistry set probably wouldn’t hurt us, especially if we didn’t drink it or get it in our eyes.