A Florida woman reportedly pulled up to a gas station yesterday afternoon around 2 p.m. with a lighted candle sitting in her cupholder, reports ActionNewsJax.
Workers realized something was amiss when another customer ran inside the station and said that the woman’s car was on fire, the county sheriff’s officer said.
Emergency responders from the fire department arrived on the scene and were able to extinguish the flames that had engulfed the woman’s car and also damaged a nearby gas pump.
“She had a candle in the cupholder,” a rep from the sheriff’s office explained. “She got out, pumped gas and went inside. When she was inside another customer came in and said, ‘Hey, your car is on fire.’ ”
The woman won’t face any charges as officials say it was an accident, but let’s be very, very clear: DO NOT LIGHT CANDLES IN YOUR CAR. Not at a gas station, not while you’re whipping down the freeway and probably texting at the same time, not ever. Nothing good can come of it, and your phone probably has a flashlight app you can use instead.