Whenever there’s a large credit card or data breach, the companies to which we entrusted our data rush to offer free credit report monitoring to victims. That’s very nice of them, but is it really helpful when someone has stolen your payment information? Nope, say experts. It may be helpful when other personal info is stolen, but not when it’s your credit or debit card number. [Krebs on Security]
Offering Credit Monitoring After A Breach Is Good PR, Not Helpful To Consumers
- not again? T-Mobile, Experian Data Breach Exposes Personal Info For 15M Consumers
- once more unto the breach Eat At Cici’s Pizza In The Last Year? Watch Your Credit Card Statements
- Who Got Hacked? Card Reissued Because Of A Breach? Good Luck Finding Out Where The Hack Happened
- another breach in the wall Kimpton Hotels Investigating Possible Credit Card Breach
- is anyone listening to me Who Am I Supposed To Call When My Credit Card Info Is Stolen?