KFC Ordered To Pay $8.3 Million For Chicken That Poisoned Girl To The Point Of Brain Damage

A bellyache after a bucket of chicken is one thing, but in the case of a little girl who fell ill with salmonella poisoning after eating at KFC, things are a lot more serious. The fast food chain has been ordered to pay $8.3 million to the Australian girl’s family after she suffered severe brain damage after being poisoned by a “Twister” wrap from KFC in 2005.

BBC News says the girl was in a coma for six months after she, her parents and brother all fell ill with vomiting and diarrhea after sharing the wrap, but that her other family members recovered.

The poisoning left the girl wheelchair-bound and unable to speak. A judge ruled that KFC had breached its duty of care to the girl when handing over the $8 million in damages.

The family’s lawyer says they’re relieved, as her disability has exhausted what limited resources they had. It’s specially tough since she’s getting older and bigger and it’s harder to lift her and take care of her siblings as well.

KFC says it is “deeply disappointed” by the decision and will repeal, claiming evidence doesn’t prove that it caused her disability. A company manager said KFC feels deeply for the girl and her family, “However, we also have a responsibility to defend KFC’s reputation as a provider of safe, high-quality food.”

KFC must pay $8.3m to poisoned girl in Australia [BBC News]