Is your salad bar ripping you off? The New York Times Magazine investigated and found that ingredients at the salad bar, like cucumber, were 70% more expensive at the salad bar than if you had bought them from elsewhere in the store. So how do you get the best deal when you’re forking lettuce down your gullet? For one, go for the baby spinach and mesclun to get the best value, ladle on the cost-effective sun-dried tomatoes and go nuts on the toppings. These little guys will take a far bigger premium from your wallet off the shelf than from the lettuce trough.
How To Game The Salad Bar At Whole Foods
By Ben Popken March 25, 2011
- food waste Why Bagged Salads End Up In Landfills Instead Of Compost Piles
- meet the salad beetles Oh, Good: Four More Reports Of Iron Cross Blister Beetles In Salads
- the hard truth Just Because One Guy Has Raised $52K For Potato Salad Doesn’t Mean Your Kickstarter Food Campaign Will Too
- toss that salad Dole Recalls Italian Salad Mix Due To Possible Listeria Contamination
- the green stuff Domino’s Is Adding Salads To The Menu Nationwide