Heather at The Greenest Dollar read How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer earlier this summer, and it made her see Costco in an entirely new way. The point behind all that crazy luxury stuff for sale at Costco isn’t just to sell it, she says; it’s to prime your brain with feel-good dopamine so that you’re far more likely to splurge on the more affordable items deeper in the store.
Why Costco Taunts You With High-End Luxury Items
By cwalters September 18, 2009
More From Consumerist
- Is Costco’s “Meh” Attitude Toward Online Sales Hubris Or Good Business?
- Costco Shrink Rays Bins Of Detergent Pods Ever So Slightly
- Federal Judge Finds In Favor Of Tiffany In Costco Imitation Ring Case
- Costco’s AmEx To Visa Transition Isn’t Going Great For Some Customers
- Costco Won’t Sell Genetically Engineered Salmon