Unless Filene’s Basement can renegotiate its rents, they’re set to close 11 of their 36 stores by February’s end. 3 of their stores in MD, one in NJ, NY, and VA, 2 in IL and PA, and one in MA, are on death row. If you’re a bride-to-be in one of the affected areas, guess you’ll have to travel out-of-state if you want to take advantage of one of their famous “Running of the Brides” sales, where hordes of women descend in teams to try on and buy wedding dresses marked down from the thousands of dollars to the hundreds.
Filene's Basement Closing 11 Stores
By Ben Popken January 21, 2009
- zombie retail Filene’s Basement Rises From Retail Graveyard As Zombie Brand
- the poochie of department stores Macy’s Opens A Bargainless Basement Store Targeting Millennials
- slow sales equals fewer stores Macy’s Will Close 40 Stores This Spring: Here’s The List
- going online Bebe Reportedly Closing Stores, Going Online Only
- weddings The Amazing Wedding Dress Deal That Wasn’t