Concerned about a recent incident in which his wife’s social security number may have been exposed (by a Bank of America employee, but that’s another story), Christian wants to know if you can change your social security number. In special circumstances, yes, the Social Security Administration will change your number. You need to show proof that 1) you’ve suffered harm from someone misusing your ss# and 2) you’ve made all reasonable efforts to otherwise solve the problem i.e. credit report freezes, closing accounts and changing account numbers, etc. If both of these apply, then you can simply visit your local SSA office, call, or visit www.ssa.gov/reach.htm.
Can I Change My Social Security Number?
By Ben Popken November 3, 2008
- I feel happy Being Declared Dead By The Social Security Administration Is Very Inconvenient
- spamtastic AOL Investigating Spam-Blasting Security Incident
- i feel naked Report: 4.6 Million Snapchat Phone Numbers And Usernames Leaked Online
- once more unto the breach Crowdfunding Site Patreon Hacked, 15GB Of Donor Info Dumped Online
- california thievin' California Tempts ID Thieves, Prints Full Social Security Numbers On Millions Of Mailed Documents