The world’s greatest bank thief is in custody. For ripping off over 45.7 million consumer’s credit cards from TJ Maxx, and other retailers, authorities pressed charges on Miami mastermind Albert Gonzalez and 11 others. The stolen numbers were sold to other scammers who manufactured fake debit cards and drained their victims’ accounts. The breach stemmed mainly from TJ Maxx stores using an unsecured wireless router.
TJX Credit Card Theft Crew Busted
By Ben Popken August 5, 2008
More From Consumerist
- TJ Maxx Parent Company Considering Opening Thousands More Stores
- Why Are Home Depot & TJ Maxx Bringing In Customers Other Retailers Can’t?
- Banks Mail Out Pre-Activated Credit Cards, Don’t See The Problem
- TJ Maxx And Marshalls Are Doing Great Because Bargain-Hunting Thrills People
- Target Agrees To Pay Visa $67M Over 2013 Data Breach