Thanks to AT&T settling a recent class-action, the era of third-party scammers cramming consumers with fraudulent subscriptions to ringtone, hookup text and other stupid content services may soon be over. AT&T Customers can claim refunds for wrongful charges from up to 3 of their bills between 1/1/04 and 5/30/08. The lawyers will get $4.3 million. AT&T will now require subscriptions to 3rd party-services with recurring fees to be confirmed by responding to a text message. 3rd party services will also have to send a monthly reminder with unsubscribe info. The firm has filed similar suits against Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. Claim forms and more info at thirdpartycontentrefund.com.
ATT Settles Class Action Over Fraudulent Ringtone Charges
By Ben Popken June 4, 2008
- dispatches from the death star AT&T Penalized $7.75 Million For Allowing Scammers To Charge Bogus “Directory Assistance Service” Fees
- well that's settled Verizon, Sprint Customers Have Until Dec. 31 To Claim A Piece Of The $158M Cramming Settlement Pie
- Placing the blame Supermarket Chain Sues Credit Card Companies Over Costly Chip Card Delay
- more lawsuits for Wells Fargo Former Wells Fargo Employees Sue Bank For $2.6B, Claiming Wrongful Termination
- Million Dollar Safety Uber To Pay $28.5M To Settle Allegations It Misled Customers On Safety Practices