Personal Finance Roundup

Say no to tax-rebate gift cards [MSN Money] “Hand over your check to a retailer and you’ll get a 10% bonus to spend. It’s tempting. But wouldn’t you rather buy your freedom than power tools or a few extra groceries?”

Antique shoppers’ best-kept secret [CNN Money] “Estate sales can be treasure troves for deeply discounted art and collectibles.”

For Many, Thrift Shops Are a Wardrobe Essential [New York Times] “More consumers are concluding that brand new is not necessarily better.”

The Savage Truth: How to Pay for College [The Street] “Given the tough economic times, and the relatively high interest rates on student loans, it’s no wonder that families are questioning the costs.”

Another Family? Keep the Money Straight. [The Wall Street Journal] “Tying the knot in later life also can bring financial complications, which — for most people — weren’t an issue the first time around.”

(Photo: corsec67)

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.