The Humane Society of America has sued the USDA in an attempt to close a loophole that allows downer cows who aren’t otherwise ill into the food supply. They claim the loophole increases the risk of introducing mad cow disease to humans, and leads to abuse against the cattle—like with, oh, say, a forklift. [Wall Street Journal]
By cwalters February 28, 2008
- malk: now with vitamin r Big Dairy Settles Claim It Killed Cows To Keep Milk Prices Up; Are You Due A Piece Of $52M?
- it's a start Cargill Cutting Back On Antibiotics In Its Beef
- the more you know 7 Things We Learned About Food Safety Oversight From A Foodborne Illness Expert
- gobble gobble gobble Turkey Talk: What Do Labels Like “Young,” “Fresh” And “Natural” Actually Mean?
- great eggspectations Target Will Sell Only Eggs From Cage-Free Hens By 2025