The Humane Society of America has sued the USDA in an attempt to close a loophole that allows downer cows who aren’t otherwise ill into the food supply. They claim the loophole increases the risk of introducing mad cow disease to humans, and leads to abuse against the cattle—like with, oh, say, a forklift. [Wall Street Journal]
By cwalters February 28, 2008
More From Consumerist
- Lawmakers Call On USDA To Reduce Farmers’ Reliance On Antibiotics In Chickens
- 7 Things We Learned About Food Safety Oversight From A Foodborne Illness Expert
- USDA Issues Public Health Alert About Aspen Foods Stuffed Chicken Products Produced Since July Recall
- Farmers Say They’re Making Too Much Money Off Beef To Go Drug-Free
- Big Dairy Settles Claim It Killed Cows To Keep Milk Prices Up; Are You Due A Piece Of $52M?