The House is currently debating H.R. 3056, which would ban the IRS from commissioning private debt collectors to scare up back taxes owed to the government. Each successful collection earns the private collector a 25% commission, providing a powerful incentive to employ deceptive tactics. The measure should sail effortlessly through the House, but its fate in the Senate remains murky. [GovExec]
- Not Helping At All Advocates: Bill Requiring IRS To Use Private Debt Collectors Would Harm Consumers
- is it worth the cost? Provision In Highway Funding Bill Would Require The IRS To Use Private Debt Collectors
- Legally Skirting The Law Some Debt Collectors Get Away With Shady Behavior When Collecting Debt For Government
- stay dead Is It Time For Regulators To Stab Zombie Debt Through The Brain?
- cfpb New Rules Would Require Debt Collectors Have Proof You Actually Owe Money