Hot on the heels of Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott’s announcement that consumers are now much safer from identity thieves because they’re making stores shred instead of merely toss customer records out the back door, id theft watchdog Steven Peisner showed how easy it was to steal Abott’s identity through the incredibly insecure Secretary of State Online Access database. [Freakonomics]
By consumerist.com July 12, 2007
- your government at work IRS Tool To Protect Identity Theft Victims Vulnerable To Identity Thieves
- Scummy Scammers Protect Your Refund: Consumer Advocates Warn Tax Scammers Will Steal Your Identity
- steal thyself If You’re Going To Commit $175K In ID Theft, Don’t Do It Under Your Real Name
- cybercrime fighting duo Symantec Buys LifeLock In $2.3B Marriage Of Online Security, Privacy Services
- please enter your 9-digit code What Can An ID Thief Do With My Social Security Number?