Hot on the heels of Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott’s announcement that consumers are now much safer from identity thieves because they’re making stores shred instead of merely toss customer records out the back door, id theft watchdog Steven Peisner showed how easy it was to steal Abott’s identity through the incredibly insecure Secretary of State Online Access database. [Freakonomics]
By consumerist.com July 12, 2007
- your government at work IRS Tool To Protect Identity Theft Victims Vulnerable To Identity Thieves
- cybercrime fighting duo Symantec Buys LifeLock In $2.3B Marriage Of Online Security, Privacy Services
- steal thyself If You’re Going To Commit $175K In ID Theft, Don’t Do It Under Your Real Name
- is anyone listening to me Who Am I Supposed To Call When My Credit Card Info Is Stolen?
- data brokers Your Prescription Information Isn’t Really Private