Woman Hospitalized After Eating Single Bite Of Tainted Dog Food

A Canadian woman who was trying to entice her newly-adopted dog to try dog food (the dog will only eat table scraps) ended up in the late-night ER. From the Edmonton Journal:

Elaine Larabie said Saturday she ate some dog food last week in an effort to convince her terrier, Missy, to do the same. Soon afterwards, both Larabie and Missy found themselves in hospital — Larabie at an after-hours emergency room, and Missy at Ottawa’s Alta Vista Animal Hospital.

Initially, the devoted dog owner did not think dog food made her sick.

“I thought I caught a virus, but then I realized I ate the food, and put two and two together,” she said.

For three days, she suffered a range of “confusing” and “embarrassing” symptoms, including loss of appetite, vomiting and foaming of the mouth.

She also had problems urinating. She had blood work done last Wednesday and is now awaiting the results of those tests.

The pet food recall has been expanded following confirmation that the food was tainted with rat poison. Check the updated list at www.menufoods.com/recall —MEGHANN MARCO

Eating poisoned dog food sickens pet lover
[Edmonton Journal]
(Photo: bradleypjohnson)