How To File A Federal Tax Extension

My Money Blog tells us how to submit for a federal tax filing extension if you’re still waiting for some forms or you just don’t think you can get it together in time.

Sending in IRS Form 4868 by April 16th will land you an automatic six-month extension until October 15, 2007 to file your tax return…

…You must still pay at least 90% of your total tax due by April 16th in order to avoid penalties for late payment.

Don’t forget to extend your state taxes, either. Forms vary by state so call up up your accountant, dig in your tax software, or call the state tax office for the proper forms. — BEN POPKEN

Stressed About Your Tax Return? File an Extension [My Money Blog]


Edit Your Comment

  1. mopar_man says:

    Call me a moron but how does one go about paying at least 90% of their total tax by April 16th if you don’t know what it’s going to be? Just send off some money and hope it’s enough?

  2. RandomHookup says:

    Pretty much. The IRS doesn’t want the extension to be an extension to pay, especially for those folks who just don’t like the government to have any of their money, ever. You have to make an estimate and it’s usually better to overpay a little

  3. Sudonum says:

    Those of us don’t have witholding are well aware of “Estimated Payments”. Four times a year baby!

  4. BII says:

    I had to file an extension, FYI, in California you don’t need to file a separate extension, you get one automatically.

  5. mkamenski says:

    April 16th and 17th MMKSC is sponsoring a two day extension marathon. We will be filing extensions for individuals at no charge for 48 hours straight. If you would like a CPA to help you with the process, visit our website at for information about how to contact us.