How To Fix Your Credit Report When Creditors Won't Admit Their Mistakes

If you find an error on your credit report, fixing it is often a painless process. Notify the credit bureau and if the creditor can’t verify the information, it gets removed. If it doesn’t, here are steps to take towards getting your credit report right, cribbed from the Wall Street Journal.

• Review all three credit reports.
• Start your dispute with the credit bureaus
• Contact the creditor
• Monitor credit reports carefully.
• Maintain records of the dispute.
• Be patient.
• Consider a lawyer.

Check out the article for a more in-depth explanation and some helpful websites. — BEN POPKEN

Making Credit Files Right [WSJ via Consumer World Blog]

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.