Irish Cafe Tells “Loud American’s” & Other Tourists To Stay Away

(Twitter: @mauricecampbell)

(Twitter: @mauricecampbell)

Perhaps it’s a form of anti-publicity that the owners hope will turn them into the next Amy’s Baking Company, with people just coming by to see what all the hubbub is about, but a restaurant in Ireland has irked a good portion of its potential customer base with a sign telling tourist — and specifically American tourists — to get lost.

The sign in the window of the cafe in Waterville, County Kerry, clearly “No Bus/Coach” customers, but what’s less clear is why the owner originally wrote “or Loud American” before changing it to “Loud American’s.”

Perhaps he was ticked off by some American pedants who nitpicked his writing?

Regardless, since the cafe is apparently located in a part of town frequented by tourists, and since other businesses in the area rely on these visitors, others in the area are rushing to say that the crudely written sign does not represent the local sentiment. According to CNBC, the Waterville Business Association is planning to “celebrate their unique Waterville-American relationship.”

Meanwhile, I’d like to enact a ban on Irish guys who angrily kick in the glass doors of McDonald’s and pepper spray the staff.

[via Eater]

Read Comments9

1. SingleMaltGeek says:

My wife and I travel a lot, and we’re very quiet, soft-spoken people. If I saw a sign like this, I would immediately take my Euros elsewhere. We would actually prefer a quiet place like this to dine, but if instead of asking for patrons to keep it down they just put up a sign saying “No loud Americans”, I would not feel welcome there, despite my soft-spokenness.

They need to specify the GOAL they want (no shouting, please keep it down, please be considerate of other patrons) without generalizing about who does these things. Stupid Irish. (See what I did there?)

• MathManv2point0 says:

Sadly it sounds like the shop owner’s goal is no Americans so… mission accomplished?

2. SuperSpeedBump says:

American’s tend to be somewhat loud and inconsiderate when on vacation, so I totally sympathize with the shop owner. However it’s never a good idea to single out American’s as being anything less than perfect… we have a really difficult time taking criticism from anyone… ever.

3. theoriginalcatastrophegirl says:

i ran into this in the netherlands and belgium a few times. i was there with my parents and sister, all of us over 30 at the time, no indication that we would be anything other than a calm party of 4 adults for dinner or lunch. but several times we went into a restaurant that wasn’t more than half full and as soon as an employee heard us speak english (mid atlantic accent but clearly not canadian or british) we would be told they didn’t have a table or they kitchen was closing. at lunch time. on a saturday.
    unfortunately, considering the behavior of other american tourists we encountered on the trip, i felt that the restaurants probably were pretty justified in their stance
    overwhelmingly those restaurants were on quiet, less traveled back streets, out of the main tourist drag though. which was why we wanted to eat there also.
    in an area known for a lot of tourist traffic, this seems like a bad idea

• MarthaGaill says:

I’d probably adopt a fake British accent until my meal was over and I had already paid (I’ve heard of bills being inflated for American tourists).

• KevinBlah says:

Good luck with that, the Irish are pretty good at picking out a fake “British” accent. They’re a lot more familiar with them than Americans are.

• furiousd says:

I’m with you, it sucks if you’re not part of what makes the stereotype but if that’s how they choose to do business then they should reap what they sow. I also like [MarthaGaill]‘s sentiment, as I’ve been in plenty of countries where there was a white tax. It was always fun in the places where I knew the language and knew what something should cost, they would get quite upset when I couldn’t be taken advantage of. Memories…

4. Thorzdad2 says:

It’s pretty bad when the Irish think you’re loud.

5. KevinBlah says:

If you want to be obnoxious, tell them you’re from Canada when you arrive, and that you’re American when you leave.