Despite Anonymous Realtor’s Angry Note, Couple Plans To Keep Parking On Their Lawn

(NBC 10 News)

(NBC 10 News)

The best way to ensure your complaints won’t be taken seriously? Leaving an angry, anonymous letter detailing why you’re ticked off. Just such an unsigned missive from someone claiming to be a realtor has one elderly New Jersey couple pledging to keep parking on their own darn lawn if they want to.

“I’m trying to sell million dollar homes in the neighborhood,” the person wrote in a letter that had no return address or signature, according to NBC News 10 in Philadelphia. “I drive my clients around and they see your car parked sideways on the front lawn! You have a driveway — use it!”

But the couple — both of whom are in their late 70s — take exception to this bit of unsolicited advice. The man explains that it’s often easier for him to park on the grass, which is closer to the door, when he’s bringing in the groceries, because he has a bad leg.

“It’s like a sneak attack,” he said. “No name. They didn’t say who they were.”

The couple’s grandchildren posted the letter to Facebook (because that is how rage is expressed nowadays), and it’s since been shared more than 700 times.

“I was very angry,” said one of the grandchildren. “They shouldn’t have gotten this letter.”

One local real estate agent admits that while it’s not great for curb appeal if homeowners are parking on the lawn, a snippy unsigned note isn’t the way to ask for that to change.

“The letter itself is a little disturbing,” he said. “I think the realtor who wrote that is probably regretting that he did. I think it’s a very negative vibe for us.”

Meanwhile, the anonymous letter writer will have to stew in his or her own wrath for the foreseeable future.

“I can do whatever I want to do,” the woman says. “I’m not moving the car. I don’t know of any million dollar homes in this neighborhood.”

Angry Letter Criticizes ‘Curb Appeal’ of Elderly Couple [NBC 10 News]

Read Comments10

1. CommonC3nts says:

In the US the only place I have ever seen where it is socially acceptable to park on your lawn is in Louisiana.
    No where else do people do this and I am surprised there is no city ordinance preventing doing this.
    They could make a driveway so they dont have an ugly dead spot on their lawn.

• mongo says:

My village does have an ordinance that bans parking on your own lawn. The stuff under your car has to be of driveway-like material.

We had a village truck threaten my neighbor across the street with a $500 fine for filling his lawn with vehicles.

I have driven on my lawn temporarily when loading heavy stuff to get nearer the back yard or side doors.

I have a very wide driveway that can hold 6-8 cars if I try. I’ve amused myself by inviting the neighbors to park in front to fill it up.

• CzarChasm says:

You must not see a lot of places. There are loads of places in the north east where people don’t have driveways period. Try visiting Cape Cod sometime.

2. webalias says:

The realtor’s actions were cowardly and ineffectual, but the couple is also being selfish, and their outrage is as misguided as the realtor’s. The realtor should have initiated a respectful conversation with the couple and asked them to please not park on the grass. If that failed, he should have contacted city officials. In my city and probably in the couple’s hometown, it’s illegal to park a vehicle on your own grass or anybody else’s: city code declares that parking a vehicle on the grass is a “nuisance” for a number of reasons — it decreases adjoining homeowners enjoyment of their property and neighborhood, it affects neighborhood property values, it creates unsightly clutter. Also, when a vehicle is parked on the grass, fluids such as antifreeze, oil, and transmission fluid can leak into the ground and contaminate the soil. I don’t give this couple a pass to break the law, create clutter or pollute the soil because they’re old. And their rant against “million dollar homes” seems cheap and irrelevant. No, sir, you can’t “do whatever you want to do,” nor can your neighbors. If they could, some of them might be blasting rock music every night, disturbing your enjoyment of your property, and you’d be the one complaining.

• CommonC3nts says:

I think it is stupid for them to park on their lawn, but I LOL’d when you said a car on their lawn ruins their neighbors enjoyment of their own lawn. That makes no sense at all.

• EducationalGeek says:

Some stupid people need to be called out on their stupidity. Namely the idiots who park on their lawn. I’m sure there’s some ordinance against it as most cities worth anything have them.

3. dullard8 says:

The people who own this car are a good example of thoughtless and indifferent people. The car is an eyesore and degrades the appearance of the neighborhood. They need to be taken to task.

The neighbors need to band together and contact the appropriate governmental agency to see what can be done. Many agencies have a dispute resolution procedure designed to mediate neighbor disputes. If that fails, perhaps legal action might get results.

4. llamalluv says:

I’m surprised that the Realtor didn’t just call the non emergency number and report him to the police. I had that done to me once and I got a ticket for parking on my own yard (no grass, just a dirt lot.) It was in Phoenix, which has rounded curbs. How is he even getting it up there? Just jumping the curb? Do they have rounded curbs in NJ?

5. SingleMaltGeek says:

OK, if anyone is still reading the comments, I watched the video and can answer @llamalluv’s question. They’re driving it up their driveway curb cut, then across the sidewalk/lawn and their front walk to part it there. The SUV with the red arrow pointing to it is in their driveway:

Personally, whether there are ordinances against what they are doing or not, I don’t even see how it’s any closer to their front door. I think maybe they’re doing it because they don’t want to have to move the SUV, which makes me a little less sympathetic: