Woman Suing Subway Because It’s Rude To Write “Big Mama” On Her Flatizza Box

subway-flatizzaA woman in California says she’s planning legal action against the Subway chain of sandwich shops because a Subway worker wrote the words “Big Mama” on her order and because was less-than-thrilled by the company’s response.

According to the NY Daily News, the incident happened on March 27, when the customer placed a to-go order for her and her family. When she got home and began sorting through the food, she noticed that the box for her Flatizza flatbread pizza thingy had the words “Big Mama” written on it.

She called the store right away, where the manager admitted that an employee had written those words.

“The owner said the employee didn’t know better, that he just didn’t get it,” the customer told the Daily News. “He begged me not to go to the media, so I tried to work with him, but then nobody was calling me back. It’s not right. This really hurt me.”

A call to Subway’s corporate office went unanswered, but a subsequent letter — in which she says she suggested better training for employees but made no monetary demands — sent to Subway HQ resulted in an offer of $5,000 if she agreed to sign a confidentiality agreement and waive her right to sue under California law.

“This isn’t about money,” she explained. “This breaks my heart. Here Subway promotes itself as a place for people who need help eating better, then this happens. What if the wrong person got a box like mine? What if they saw that and tried to commit suicide?”

She has rejected Subway’s offer and her lawyer tells the News that a lawsuit is imminent.

The Subway franchisee whose store is at the center of the story tells ABC10 news in San Diego:

“As a small business owner, I do not tolerate discrimination of any kind. When I learned of this incident I immediately investigated and disciplined the employee involved. I also made contact with the customer in an effort to resolve this matter.”

Read Comments8

1. GoldHillDave says:
  2. IMakeMyOwnSnarkAtHome says:

The employee in question was fired, and we don’t live in a world of What Ifs.

Where was the crime? Oh, there wasn’t one? So stop tying up the courts time.

3. CommonC3nts says:

LOL, she was not even insulted. Who cares about “big mamma” written on a box??? How stupid.
    If I were her I would have taken the $5K cash.
    I dont see what she will sue over in this case. It was just a word on a box that no one else publicly saw.
    It looks like she turned down the $5K because she hired a lawyer. I bet you any money the lawyer said turn it down and that subway will come back with a much higher cash payment.
    I hope subway refuses to give her anything now for being ungrateful.

Now she will most likely get nothing for being greedy.

4. C0Y0TY says:

By offering a $5,000 settlement, Subway has already admitting wrongdoing it thinks is worth at least $5,000. This indicates Subway thinks the award would be much more than $5,000 if she did sue, and she probably realizes it. She apparently would have thought it wasn’t such a big deal and been satisfied with an apology and employee discipline if Subway didn’t suspiciously offer her hush money and make it look like a bigger deal.

• CzarChasm says:

All Subway is admitting by offering this settlement is that they think it would cost them at least $5,000 to fight a lawsuit.

5. charmander says:

I don’t understand what she is suing for. The company apologized; the employee was fired. They offered her compensation. What more can they do? What exactly is the motivation behind the lawsuit?

6. LauraNorthrup says:

Obligatory soundtrack for this story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj0KDjE1F1Q