T-Mobile Introducing 500MB Plan For Casual Smartphone Users

Right now, T-Mobile’s lowest cost individual smartphone plan is $50/month (plus the cost for your phone) for 1GB of data and unlimited talk/text. For people whose monthly data use is minimal, the company will soon be offering a $10/month price cut for those willing to cap their usage at 500MB.

T-Mobile announced today something called “Simple Starter,” which will be $40/month when it becomes available on April 12. It has the same unlimited talk/text as the 1GB plan.

The new plan doesn’t automatically hit users with overage charges if they cross the 500MB threshold. Instead, it cuts off data service until the next billing cycle, though customers can purchase additional buckets of data if they need it.

Of course, the cost for the plan doesn’t include the cost of the device. If you already own a phone that works on the T-Mobile network, then there is no additional cost.

If you get a phone through T-Mobile, the effect on your monthly rate varies widely. A new iPhone 5S or Samsung Galaxy S5 will add around $27/month to your bill, but there are older devices like the Galaxy S 4G that will only tack on $5/month.

[via GigaOm]

Read Comments7

1. ShadyTrust says:

500 MB on T-Mobile is actually a lot considering 98% of their coverage in my state is 2G. It’d take me all month to even use half that.

2. SingleMaltGeek says:

I wish I could sign up for T-Mobile, but they don’t seem to want to Shut Up and Take My Money! They now claim to not be able to use a PO box for a billing address…well, my bank/credit card has already accepted it, which I told them when I placed my order. But they put in the shipping address I gave them as the billing address, and the bank declined it of course because it was the wrong address. This all apparently happened on 4/3, but I didn’t get the order cancellation emails (2) until 4/8.

D:<

3. CommonC3nts says:

LOL, even a casual users can easily exceed several GB a month.
    These companies are funny. They will do anything to charge by the byte overages to rip people off.

• TheyLive says:

I average less than 350mb of cell data per month.
      Most of my data use comes from a wifi network.

4. DrRon says:

When I was with TM, the data usage included data utilized while connected with wifi. Been with Straight talk for over 1 1/2 years.

5. TheyLive says:

T-Mobile rocks!
    They really are the most customer friendly provider I’ve found (for individuals).
    One thing that they fail to mention is the added tax (almost $10) to “post-paid” plans.

Below is the best deal I’ve seen from a major carrier:
    -T-Mobile Pre-paid $50/month (no added tax)
    -Unlimited Talk/Text/Data
    -500mb of 4G data
    -No wireless tether fees
    -Free VOIP backup for calling over wireless networks