Neighborhood Residents Can’t Get Mail Delivered Because Of One Chihuahua

He looks kind of sheepish, eh? (KCRG-TV)

He looks kind of sheepish, eh? (KCRG-TV)

In the latest round of that ancient fight between man and beast that is the tense relationship mail carriers have with residents’ dogs, a Chihuahua (to be fair, a Chihuahua mix) is effectively holding one neighborhood hostage. The United States Postal Service says the local mail carrier can’t deliver mail to a block in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, because the little dog’s reign of terror makes it impossible to do so.

A spokesman with the USPS tells KCRG-TV that officials had no choice but to stop bringing the mail to the block over safety concerns for the carrier.

“The dog has interfered, on a number of occasions, with the delivery of the mail in that particular neighborhood,” said a spokesman.

The tiny pooch’s intimidation tactics have some residents ticked off after the Post Office sent them letters saying that the mail is on hold and they’ll have to pick it up instead, after the mail carrier said he saw the dog off the leash for a fifth time.

“It’s a bunch of poop. I think it’s got stamps on it and it says to deliver it, they should deliver it,” said one neighbor.

The owner of the dog says sometimes it gets out but usually stays inside and is friendly, calling it a “nice dog” that plays with his kids. But one of his neighbors disagrees.

“We got chased a couple times just bringing groceries into our house in our own driveway. And then, we called Animal Control at that point and they did come and seize the dogs because it did not have its vaccines up to date,” the neighbor said. “Two weeks later my five-year-old was bit in the leg in the back of our own yard.”

Mail delivery is on hold until Cujo (not his real name) is contained, the spokesman says.

“Once we know that the dog owner has taken responsibility and make sure that dog is not running free in that neighborhood, the mail delivery will continue,” he said.

Dog Causes Mail Delivery Holdup [KCRG.com]

Follow MBQ on Twitter where she will never suspend mail delivery: @marybethquirk

Read Comments7

1. CzarChasm says:

There has to be some way to deal with clearly irresponsible dog owners without resorting to refusing delivery of the entire street. This who thing sounds strange.

• MathManv2point0 says:

I’d love some tips for dealing if irresponsible dog owners. Us and our neighbors frequently find dog poop on their front yards (neither of us own dogs). I had my suspicions about a particular neighbor (dog owner) and one time I finally caught their dog in the act, off the leash. I informed the neighbor his dog just pooped in my yard and I would appreciate it if he came over and picked it up. I also took it as an opportunity to say it wasn’t the first time and would appreciate it if they picked up after their dog now and in the future. The neighbor “thanked” me for letting them know and to this day NEVER came over to pick up the poop. I did a couple days later.

• MarthaGaill says:

Trap the dog and take him to animal control? Sounds cruel, but if they have to pay a fee to get their dog back, maybe they’ll think twice about letting it off the leash.

• SingleMaltGeek says:

I’d position a webcam out the window on that part of the yard/street, and let them know you’re doing it. We’re lucky, where I live the county takes that kind of thing moderately seriously. But we’ve also only had problems with our deadbeat, drug-dealing neighbors and their unsocialized pit bulls who constantly got out, which was more of a safety issue for us and the dogs anyway. But everyone else is very good about it, and the crappy neighbors got foreclosed on, so we haven’t had an issue with that in years.

2. MarthaGaill says:

That’s just bad dog ownership, right there. You let your dog roam the neighborhood and anything could happen. It could get run over, it could bite someone, it could get stolen. Even if it’s an overreaction from the mail carrier, it’s still bad dog ownership. If you can’t control your dog, you shouldn’t have one.

3. pguyton2 says:

hmmm…. how did they get the letter telling them to pick up their on hold mail if they aren’t delivering mail ?

easy problem to fix, call the pound and have them pick up the animal – people need to be more responsible with their pets

4. CommonC3nts says:

“Two weeks later my five-year-old was bit in the leg in the back of our own yard?”
    Did they not call animal control?? That dog would be gone now if they did call over biting a child.