Walmart, Koch, McDonald’s All Move On To Round Two Of Worst Company Tournament

wcia2014headerTwo of today’s WCIA battles were dominated by household names, proving that being the biggest doesn’t mean you’re the best. Another showdown featured companies that aren’t necessarily on the tip of everyones’ tongues, but are no less hated than the big brand names.

walmartvscvsWALMART VS. CVS CAREMARK
This one wasn’t even close. Even though CVS is the country’s second-largest drugstore chain and operator of one of the nation’s biggest pharmacy benefits programs, it just didn’t really stand a chance against the mass of unhappy consumers, many of whom shop at Walmart but only because they feel they don’t have many other options. In the tournament’s second-largest drubbing thus far (only to Comcast’s monster thumping of Yahoo), Walmart coasted to an 81.9% victory.

Up next for Walmart is the surprise winner of Day One, fellow reviled retailer Abercrombie & Fitch, which earlier pulled off an upset defeat of Delta Air Lines.

kochvssallieKOCH INDUSTRIES VS. SALLIE MAE
Sallie Mae handles (and occasionally screws up) a good chunk of the more than $1 trillion in student loans that are out there. But apparently that wasn’t enough to hold off Kansas-based Koch Industries, which has its hands in everything from cattle to fertilizer to carpet fibers to asphalt to pipelines to… Brawny paper towels, Dixie cups, and Quilted Northern toilet paper. It’s one of those companies that not everyone knows, but whose products touch just about everything we do. In the tightest contest of the tournament thus far (granted, there are 10 more bouts to go in Round One alone), Koch eked out a 58% win over Sallie Mae.

The true test of Koch will come in the next round, when it faces either the two-time reigning WCIA champ EA or potential dark horse contender Time Warner Cable.

mcdonaldsvstargetTARGET VS. McDONALD’S
The second day of WCIA competition came to an end with another tight contest featuring two big brands that would probably rather they weren’t in the news as often as they have been of late. Some had predicted that the massive hack of Target’s in-store payment system would carry the retailer to at least the third round. Perhaps the fact that the breach has had, relative to the sheer number of people whose info was stolen, resulted in few negatively affected consumers turned some votes toward McDonald’s, which often ranks low on food quality surveys, isn’t exactly known for its customer service, and has been widely criticized for the way it allows franchisees to deal with employees’ paychecks. McDonald’s detractors put some special sauce on their voting buttons and pushed the fast food giant to a 58.4% win over the beleaguered Target.

McDonald’s had better get greased up it it wants a shot of repeating this success in its upcoming Round Two showdown against Chase, which crashed GM’s car in an earlier contest.

For those who don’t feel like filling in their brackets at home, here’s the latest and greatest version of where things stand now:
2014wciabracketdaytwo

Read Comments10

1. StevenPierce says:

Wow, I had Target going to the final round. Oh well, I am done.

2. StevenB says:

I wanna know why in the hell for the last couple years or so haven’t I been able to vote in all the polls? I see one and vote and never see another. Then at some point during the day, I see how these different companies won or lost and I never seen any poll with them in it. WTF is going on here? I emailed twice about voting and no one has even bothered to answer. You would think they would address this or even respond as to avoid looking stupid.

• TRUTH12345 says:

Ya, I am wondering about this too. I maybe get to vote on one, two if I’m lucky then several results show up. I don’t like the system they have set up, its like a pop up. I think the consumerist should write about the voting on consumerist. Yes, it does make them look stupid.

3. Pacer says:

Yeah – the voting is pretty bad. If you don’t check in at the right time several times a day you will miss voting on some items. This excludes a lot of people who would want to vote. Pretty cruddy since I check in maybe twice a day and that means voting is over and done for some companies.
    Stinks.

4. oomingmak says:

I agree that the voting system is disaster this year. You would think after all the years of doing this that Consumerist would have it down to a science.

I checked multiple times throughout the day yesterday and kept getting the same two votes … never the third. Kinda breaks all the rules on how a proper survey should be handled. Why not just have all the votes for a certain day available at all times so everyone can vote?

I’d also like to see exact voting numbers rather than just percentages. It makes me wonder that some of the categories are getting so few total votes as to be statistically irrelevant.

I’m not sure I’m going to bother to vote anymore until these issues are resolved.

5. MarkyMark says:

They need a better voting system for sure. What was wrong with just listing todays contenders and just tallying the votes at the end of the poll?

• Pacer says:

Yes. And I notice now that the ballot appears at the top right edge of my screen and reappeared again after I voted. I refreshed the page and tried voting again and it took the second vote and reappeared again and I refreshed the page and voted a third time and it took the vote and reappeared again. I guess I could vote many times… it’s strange.

6. Cheapocabra says:

I’m not happy that McDonald’s and Target were in Round 1 against each other. They both deserve to be here, but that’s a bad comparison. Honestly, Target should have gone to at least the final 4.