Comcast, Abercrombie, Chase Victorious In First Day Of Worst Company Competition!

wcia2014headerThe 2014 Worst Company In America competition got off to a big start today with readers turning out in droves to vote on the tournament’s first three match-ups that saw a former Golden Poo champ flexing its muscle, a tournament mainstay making its case for the WCIA title, and the year’s first upset.

comcastvyahooCOMCAST VS. YAHOO!
Things got off to a huge start with Comcast’s bloody trouncing of Yahoo. In spite of the fact that Yahoo has many more users than Comcast has cable subscribers, or that even Yahoo employees refuse to use its glitchy e-mail system, the public’s image of Comcast as an all-devouring, cable/Internet/broadcasting behemoth was apparently enough to propel it to a nearly 90% of the vote. Comcast won the whole enchilada back in 2010 when it acquired NBC. Could its greedy attempt to merge with fellow competitor Time Warner lead to another title for Kabletown? Next up for Comcast will be the victor of the first-round showdown between Facebook and DirecTV.

abercrombiedeltaABERCROMBIE & FITCH VS. DELTA AIR LINES
When we peeked into the WCIA crystal ball, we did not see this one coming. Even though Abercrombie & Fitch has irritated people with its rude CEO, alleged mistreatment of disabled customers, questionable treatment of employees, and other complaints, we didn’t think the retailer had enough detractors to beat a huge, established airline like Delta. And yet, A&F walked away with nearly two-thirds of the vote.

Looking ahead, Abercrombie is destined to test its mettle against another, larger retailer — either Walmart or CVS Caremark.

chasevsgmCHASE VS. GM
This just goes to show you how much people apparently still dislike big banks. Even though GM is currently going through a PR nightmare –recalling oodles of cars with a defect that the carmaker acknowledges resulted in at least a dozen deaths, but which could be a lot more, all while investigators continue to turn up evidence that the car company knew about the problem for a decade — it still wasn’t enough to beat out JPMorgan Chase, which managed to earn 61% of the vote in today’s closest battle.

In the next round, Chase will go up against one of two companies, each of which is currently the center of controversy — either the massively hacked Target or wage-war-waging McDonald’s.

Voting continues tomorrow with another three matches coming your way.

The WCIA bracket has been updated to reflect today’s results:
2014wciabracketdayone

Read Comments10

1. JoeBlow says:

Wow, I guess the question now is this: Just how many people would GM have had to kill, while aware of and not acknowledging the underlying safety issue, to have been rated as being worse than Chase?

• ReverendTed57 says:

Depends – kill enough of the right people and you can get yourself elected.

• Raekwon says:

My guess is the GM thing isn’t too big in the public eye right now and everyone hates credit card people. I did vote GM.

2. oomingmak says:

Based on the number of comments this site gets I can’t help but wonder if it’s only about 10 of us voting. :) Are all the daily votes in one place? I came by a few times throughout the day and only saw 2 of the 3 votes.

3. RupturedDuck says:

So those of us who live out yonder West miss out on voting much of the time. I only managed to vote in your last pole today, at lunch (Noon, PDT). Like “live” television that’s really tape delayed, we never get a chance to vote someone off of the island (or the stage). At least the Oscars wised up and we can now watch them live, instead of three hours later (and after the media splashes us with all of the winners).

So how about keeping the polls open later so we can vote, mmmkay? Yes, that means you have to stay up past your bedtime calculating the returns and posting the results early the next morning. Is that asking too much?

• StevenB says:

+1 I’m upset at the fact that I seem to miss out on much of the voting. I live in Seattle and the only ones I got to vote on so far is Comcast and Walmart polls. What is up with this new way of doing it?

4. SpeakBob says:

I’m not liking the only available for a short period for voting this year. I only voted on 2 of the 3 contests because that was all I saw & I was on the site multiple times during the day. Is there some way to post when upcoming polls will be up? That way we can make sure to check in on the site during those times to be sure to vote.

5. SingleMaltGeek says:

In addition to the really short voting times, I can’t stand the huge banner. It doesn’t go away after I’ve voted, so for the first time in years I’ve re-enabled AdBlock on consumerist.com.

• MathManv2point0 says:

Once I click the X in the top right it goes away on mine and does not come back on refresh. I must have cookies enabled or something.

6. FusioptimaSX says:

The voting should be in individual topics like always. You never know when the companies to vote on will rotate.