Police Catch Phone Thieves Who Robbed Girl Scouts Selling Cookies

girl_sproutsWhat kind of monster robs Girl Scouts selling cookies out in front of a grocery store? Teenage boys, apparently. Police in Florida have made an arrest in the theft of a smartphone (a Samsung Galaxy S3, if you keep track of these things) from the sales table. The suspect is a 15-year-old boy.

Police were also looking for his companion, but he has not been arrested.

Unlike the Great 2013 Girl Scout Cookie Crime Wave, only the phone was taken in this theft. The suspect left the cookies and cash undisturbed. He’s being charged with grand felony theft because the stolen item was a pricey smartphone.

“We see this as your victimizing these children that are here trying to, you know, better themselves and the community and you’re going to take something from them,” a police spokeswoman told the media.

Always be alert when you’re out selling things to the public, especially if you’re in charge of cash, merchandise, and your personal electronics.

Hungry for Girl Scout Cookies? The online Cookie Locator shows you where you can find them in your area. There’s also a mobile app.

Arrest Made In Girl Scout Phone Theft [CBS Miami] (Thanks, Jerry!)

Read Comments6

1. IrishLad118 says:

I’m certainly not blaming the offended party here, and I hate to sound old, but what’s a girl scout doing with a Galaxy S3? I’m in my third decade and I just upgraded from a flip phone to a slidy one w/ a keyboard a year ago. I don’t even think there’s a category for them they’re so rare!

• MathManv2point0 says:

I’m with you! The ONLY circumstance where a child having such a phone would make “sense” (to me) is if the girls were working with no adult present and no girl had a cell phone. Then one parent might have lent his/her child a phone to call them when they’re done to pick them up or for emergencies.

However… I doubt this is the case…

• MarthaGaill says:

It could be that it’s a parent’s old phone that they passed down to the kid when they upgraded. It could be that she was out with another girl scout and her parents and she was carrying her mom’s phone in case she needed a ride. It could be she saved up her own money and bought one. Also, I’m pretty sure it’s not the flagship phone anymore, so it could even be one that they give away for free or next to nothing when you sign up for a new phone contract.

Just because you don’t care to keep up with the newest technology doesn’t mean everyone else can’t. Also, those girls look to be in middle school, which I don’t think is too young for a phone.

• IrishLad118 says:

I think my point was missed. I’m not saying people can’t keep up with technologies. I own a tablet (not on my cell plan, though, just wifi). I just haven’t yet found a need to to make my phone a smartphone. I don’t want the added expense of the line access fee and data. So, if at 30-plus years, I can’t find a need, I really don’t see where a child, even middle school age, would need one. They should certainly be carrying some sort of phone for emergencies.

• CzarChasm says:

“new technology scares me, I don’t think kids should have it. Also, they should stay off my damn lawn”
      -IrishLad

2. trustnot says:

I see two areas of concern; children who were failed by adults to teach them that want and need are opposites and the unprofitable selling of cookies. Ask your local scout leader(if they’re honest) just how much they actually earn off any sale. Dismally low!! I never buy cookies and help out by donating directly to the troop.