Would You Ever Be Able To Forgo Using Toilet Paper?

Every time you wipe in the bathroom, you’re basically flushing money down the toilet, not to mention creating well, waste with your waste. But is there any way you could ever do away with the whole thing and not use toilet paper?

We know what you’re thinking — it sounds crazy, even laughable. It’s not like most American bathrooms come with a bidet or any other kind of splashy alternative for keeping clean.

But three anti-TP users who spoke on HuffPo Live this week say it’s really no big deal — they just use cut up sheets of old fabric and keep it in a box in the bathroom. Once you use it, it goes into a bucket with a lid and gets tossed in the laundry once a week.

While one woman admits during the program that she and her husband are 80/20 on it — meaning they’ll use regular toilet paper about 20% of the time if they’re out and about — for the most part it seems to be a pretty normal part of their hygiene routines.

HuffPo host Caitlyn Becker seems a bit skeptical about the whole thing, as admittedly many people would be. And if you don’t have a washer/dryer in your home, doing the “bathroom laundry” once a week might be a bit tougher.

So we want to know:

Yes, There Are People Who Don’t Use Toilet Paper [HuffPo Live]

Read Comments12

1. SpeakBob says:

But I already use the 3 sea shells, why would I need TP or cloth?

2. MarthaGaill says:

I would be afraid the poop and pee would get in my washer and eventually taint my other laundry. The very idea grosses me out. And what if it leaves stains. I would hate for someone to come over and see my skid marks…

3. Mint says:

Or, if Americans were more accepting of the idea, a bidet/washlet.

• Airwave says:

Sure, give the Europeans another reason for hating us! A bidet is not for washing your nether regions directly after using the bathroom. They do have TP in Europe, you know.

• SuperSpeedBump says:

A Bidet is a fantastic solution that has saved my family a LOT of money over the years. Especially when combined with the above concept, except that my reusable cloths are not covered in feces.

I have always felt that Toilet Paper was really only designed for emergency use, kinda like hand sanitizer. It was never meant to 100% replace soap and water, and the unseen residue TP leaves on your bum is proof of that. But, like all convenience technologies in America, it has become “the norm” with people doing it and not even considering that it could be incorrect.

Oh, and “Airwave”, a bidet is specifically designed for washing your nether regions. I have no idea where you got the impression that it wasn’t. I am curious though, what did you think it was for?

4. RupturedDuck says:

Clearly the majority have never been taught the method of using a single sheet per wipe. :)

A standard roll would last you close to nine months!!

5. FusioptimaSX says:

I’d gladly give up toilet paper, but that requires me to purchase a $10,000 Japanese toilet. A friend of mine has one and it’s amazing!

6. C0Y0TY says:

Perfect solution: An easy colostomy system I’ll call Colosto-Me! Discreet, odor-resistant, and you don’t have to worry about bathroom urges. Who wants to jumpstart me?