4 Things To Do Instead Of Pulling A Gun When You Can’t Get The Parking Spot You Want

There are things in this world worth fighting over. And while for many a prime parking spot a the grocery store might be one such reason, that doesn’t mean you should pull a shotgun on your fellow shopper for a below par parking job. We’ve got some other ideas on how to handle such a situation.

Police in Manchester, N.H. say the trouble started when a 53-year-old man was pulling into a spot at a supermarket parking lot. Apparently the guy in the next space had made the unforgivable mistake of encroaching into his desired spot, say cops.

So he allegedly started yelling at the culprit, a 38-year-old man with his 2-year-old daughter in the back seat and his mother loading groceries into the trunk.

While the men argued as the guy tried to pull into the tight spot, the man tried to talk his new enemy down.

“I said to him, ‘Look man there’s an infant in this car don’t hit this car it’s not gonna be good. At that point he reached down and pulled up a firearm, which I guess later on was found to be a shotgun and said something to the effect ‘Well how good do you think it’s gonna work out for you?”” the man told WBZ-TV.

He says that’s when the man raised a rifle through the window of his pickup truck and threatened him, although the suspect didn’t point the gun directly at him. Still, scary enough, he told cops.

“He just acted like a complete maniac,” he said.

Police arrived on the scene and found the suspect’s 12 gauge Remington shotgun and 10 shells sitting on the passenger seat, and arrested him on a charge of one count of felony criminal threatening.

4 Things To Do Besides Pulling A Gun When You Can’t Get The Parking Spot You Want:
1. Take a huge, deep lungful of air in slowly through your mouth, and let it out through your nose.
2. Count backwards from 20
3. Go find another spot
4. Make sure you never park less than perfectly in the future to inspire good parking karma

We’ve all been there, we’ve all seen the monstrous SUV taking up two parking spots. But violence, or the threat of it, is never the answer.

NH Man Accused Of Pulling Shotgun On Man In Supermarket Parking Lot [CBS Boston]

Read Comments6

1. CzarChasm says:

Violence is not the answer, but I wish the answer wasn’t “let self centered jerks get away with whatever they want” either.

2. TianaS says:

I have a two year old. In order to get him in his car seat, I have to open the door pretty wide (often putting the door into the spot next to mine). Sometimes people have started pulling into that spot, not realizing I was still trying to strap my son in (and I can’t exactly close the door on myself), so this results in a weird “squeeze” battle where they try and get in, while I’m pulling the door next to me and hoping they won’t hit me.

Patience people! There’s not really much either of us (myself or the driver) can do in this situation, so it pays to just chill.

• SingleMaltGeek says:

The car seat should be in the middle (in case of side impacts). Can’t you kneel on the seat? Not that it excuses pushy people, but I just did that out of habit, and left the door open only an inch or two. Or is he a squirmy worm who requires two hands to wrangle into a 5-point harness? :D

Damn, I miss that age. :’-)

3. Naskarrkid says:

I drive a truck, so I always park away from other cars so I don’t hit any. I also usually park where I can drive straight out, rather than backing out. Makes life a lot easier than worrying about the perfect spot, and it’s great exercise walking further to the store. I think anyone who isn’t disabled, so do this, and parents can open their doors wide open, since there’s usually no one parked on the sides.

• MarthaGaill says:

Me too. I’m not one to drive in circles for hours looking for the closest spot possible. Especially at my grocery store. The lane in front of the doors are so busy if you park there you spend an eternity waiting for the area to clear of cars and people pushing carts before you can leave.

I’d rather park quickly in the back and walk to where I’m going. If I can pull-through, that’s a bonus.

4. FusioptimaSX says:

I always avoid the extreme front of stores. All the people who aren’t thinking when they are driving have a habit parking there. They are also the first to get confused and get road rage when those very spots aren’t available but they stroll down the aisle anyway.