So you weren’t able to convince Harrison Ford to show up at your mom’s door in his Han Solo costume. She’d be the first one to tell you that hey, it’s the thought that counts. If you’re low on cash or just enjoy scoping out good deals with the woman who brought you forth into this world, there are a bunch of options out there to celebrate Mom this year, including another attempt by Hooters to lure women through its doors.
We’ve combed the Internets to find just the right deals for celebrating Mom, and while none of them include Mr. Ford, there are some gems nevertheless. Also? Hugs. Hugs are always free.
• Last year Hooters dangled the bait of free wings for Mom, and this year it’s upped the ante by offering a free entree up to $10 with a drink purchase at any of its locations for mothers who show up with at least one offspring.
• If Hooters isn’t your thing, IKEA has a free breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes and a cup of coffee un Sunday from opening until 11 a.m.
• More meal options that take a little more work include a daily sweepstakes at Red Lobster, with the winner receiving a $50 Red Lobster gift card as well as a $100 gift card for spa treatments, flowers and other niceties for mom. Register until Sunday to win on their Facebook page.
• And then there are the plethora of food contenders in the gift card arena — Macaroni Grill has an offer for a $5 Grazie gift with any gift card purchase of $25 or more, in-store only. Ruby Tuesday will give you $15 extra for buying $50 in gift cards, while Outback has a deal for a free $10 bonus card for every every $50 in gift cards you purchase through June 6, but only valid from May 13 to July 15. So that’s more of a belated gift. P.F. Chang’s, T.G.I. Friday’s and Applebee’s all offer $10 in bonus gift cards if you purchase $50 in cards.
• If your mom has a sweet tooth, McCormick & Shmick’s is celebrating moms with complimentary truffles at brunch or dinner on Mother’s Day, while both O’Charley’s and Shoney’s are offering a free slice of pie to moms on May 12. TCBY is handing out a free frozen yogurt (up to six ounces) to mother’s on Sunday as well.
• The family that watches movies together, stays together, right? As such, Redbox has a free one-day rental offer when you buy an e-gift card for Mother’s Day. The free code arrives on May 13 so you can either treat yourself or give mom an extra present.
• Even a greeting card will bring a smile to your mother’s face because honestly, when was the last time you sent her something int the mail or handed her a heartfelt missive? If you don’t want to give your cash to a greeting card company, I Heart Faces has three Mother’s Day photo-card templates that you can download for free.
• Don’t trust yourself to design a card? Buy a 15 x 7 folded card at CVS and get one free, by using the code MOMCARDS at checkout, valid through May 11.
• Sometimes it’s not just about telling mom you love her and feeding her stuff — at Lowes Build & Grow, kids can build a free Sweetheart Frame for their mothers on Saturday, May 11 at their local store. Pre-registration is required for the 10 a.m. start time.
(H/T to Kiplinger‘s for jumpstarting our desire to root out Mother’s Day freebies.)