Electrolux Introduces $100K Kitchen Range Because Some People Have Enough Money To Actually Burn

The next time you feel like burning some money, you could just grab a wad of cash and light it on fire. Or you could get super fancy about it and fork over $100,000 for a new deluxe kitchen range from Electrolux. Yep, a stovetop and oven for more money than some of the priciest luxury vehicles out there. Hey, we’ve all got hobbies.

The Grand Cuisine range isn’t mean for just anyone, notes Bloomberg News, to which we say, “Uh, duh.” It’s for the richest of the rich foodies, the people who have an eye for professional catering level equipment. There’s a $5.3 billion market out there for just such people.

“This brings a halo effect from a brand standpoint to Electrolux,” said the company’s CEO. “We’re talking very high net worth people with two or three homes. It’s clearly intended to build and reinforce the brand.”

The company thinks it can sell the range — equipped with such things as USB ports and vacuum packers — to potentially 50,000 homes a year, in a bid to compete with LG and Samsung.

“Samsung and LG have taken advantage of their brand recognition particularly among younger consumers particularly in consumer electronics,” the CEO added. “They’ve brought some unique and fun interface technology and good designs, and they’ve penetrated some markets. If you’re in the cooking business, how much electronics do you want. They may be able to put a TV in a refrigerator, but look how many they’ve sold.”

Who needs a TV in a refrigerator? Well, who needs a USB port in a stove? People who want to upload recipes, apparently and are willing to pay for such a luxury.

Electrolux’s $100,000-Kitchen for Foodies to Fight Slowdown [Bloomberg News]

Comments

1. Quake 'n' Shake says:

Sounds about right for a dual-fuel range….

[rolls eyes]

2. SirWired says:

Any home cook who uses anything other than a standard porcelain-topped range (or cooktop) is a poseur. Restaurant kitchens use stainless steel appliances because their stuff gets scrubbed down several times a day with a ScotchBrite and Comet. Unless you seriously do that in your kitchen, Stainless Steel is just extra expense, in addition to being a real pain to keep clean.

And the mega-BTU burners they use? They don’t make the food taste any better; they just cook it faster. And, unless you are an experienced line cook, your food will probably turn out WORSE if you use it at high settings, because you probably can’t work fast enough to keep up with that kind of heat. (Not to mention that far more recipes need a quality simmer vs. a high-powered blast of flame…)

(Really the ideal heat source for foodies is magnetic induction; safe, even heating, doesn’t heat the kitchen as much, and is easy to clean. Gas is second, electric coils third, standard smoothtop last.)

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

I am sorry, but I would kill for a restaurant grade high btu burner or 2. No, I am not a professional. I just like to cook. And there are plenty of times I could use it. Family size stir frys, pan seared steak. large pots of water for pasta, corn on the cob, etc.

• Kuri says:

Don’t be an elitist.

• tooki says:

You’re obviously not a cook, SirWired.

The heat output is critical to many dishes, such as successful stir-fries; the heat DOES make the food taste better. (They call it the “breath of the dragon”.) You can’t simmer a stir-fry. Another example: you need high heat to sear meat; if you have a big pan full of meat, you need more heat to maintain the sear.

And as for your ridiculous claim that “far more recipes” need a simmer: that’s nonsense as a blanket statement. Some types of food need low heat, some need medium, and some need high.

Professional cooks — and smart home cooks — can cook fast because they do a proper mise en place *before* they turn on the burner. If you can’t keep up, it’s because you’re trying to do the prep work after cooking has begun.

I do, however, agree that induction is freaking awesome. (I do not, however, prefer coil-top stoves to glass top. And the very worst are those horrible things with cast-iron burners that take half a lifetime to warm up…)

• LoadStar says:

I’d take an induction or gas if I could… but between coils and smoothtop? I’ll take smoothtop any day.

I hate coils. Most electric coils that I’ve used aren’t completely flat, which means uneven heating of your pans. They also don’t necessarily sit level, which means the pan isn’t level either. Try making a sauce where the sauce keeps wanting to pool over to one side of the pan. Nothing cooks evenly.

Now, granted, most of my coil experience is on “well loved” or cheaper ranges. I’m sure there are coil ranges that don’t have these issues, but I’d guess they’re newer, more expensive ones… and if I’m spending a bunch more money, then I’ll go with gas (or induction, if I could afford it).

• tooki says:

Induction is no longer extravagantly expensive. I am also perplexed by SirWired’s preference for coils. But then again, he’s shown that he’s not a demanding cook, so maybe for his cooking it’s OK.

• SirWired says:

Smoothtops only work if the pan is perfectly flat; coils work better for imperfect (read, nice, heavy, old) cookware. They also have better response to changes in control temp. Not as fast as gas or induction, mind you, but still faster.

I cooked on coils for years and then moved to a house with a smoothtop. I hated every second of it. Temperature changes took ages as the top caught up with the new cycle timing, it was a pain to clean, the pots I have that do not have perfectly flat bottoms heated horribly. It was bad enough that it inspired me to switch to gas, which I much prefer.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I have an induction cooktop, and I love that I can use the smoothtop as a counter. In my kitchen, counter space is a premium and I like being able to put stuff on my stove and it isn’t confined to the coils.

• one swell foop says:

1) Your statement is overly broad and neglects to consider those who cook at restaurants AND at home, or work at restaurants and cook at home.
      2) No, restaurant kitchens do not get scrubbed down several times a day, they get scrubbed down once or twice (maybe three times if you’re talking about a 24 hour place like Waffle House), at the end of a shift.
      3) Specifying scotchbrite and comet is…a little odd. How about a metal scrubby and some soapy water (granted, heavy duty degreasing soap)? Every restaurant I’ve worked at, including the restaurant I currently work at, does this.

When I cook at my parents house, where they have a very nice stainless steel five burner Bluestar range, it’s a pleasure. When I get done cooking and the range has cooled a little, I pull the grates and scrub the whole thing, then wipe off the soap residue. It’s easy, quick, and sanitary. Stoves with elements or the standard gas stoves where you’d have to remove the entire cooktop to clean underneath range from a pain in the butt to completely impractical to thoroughly clean regularly.

As addressed below, high BTU burners are useful for a large number of applications, but you fail to consider that restaurants often have burners that are configured for specific applications put in certain spots on the ranges they have based on their needs, like simmering a big pot of something for 48 hours.

I’ll give you the fact that induction burners are useful, but ideal only for certain applications. I would not want a range that was only induction, I’d want gas as well.

We get it, you know something about cooking. Don’t be a jackass and over-assert yourself with broad statements; there’s always someone that knows more than you.

3. SirWired says:

Oh, and for the question the story tag asks? Julia Child would probably bust a gut laughing at this kind of stupidity. Her kitchen certainly didn’t even vaguely resemble that of a restaurant.

• who? says:

The Joy of Cooking, which in my mind is the best cookbook on earth, specifically states that the recipes are meant to be cooked on a regular home stove. If a regular stove is good enough for the Beckers, it’s good enough for me. That cookbook, my white, 30″ gas range and I have made some awesome meals together.

• tooki says:

Just a tip: Joy, long my old standby, took second place about 10 years ago to Mark Bittman’s “How to Cook Everything”. Bittman’s recipes simply succeed more often than Joy’s.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I never liked the Joy of Cooking because by the time I got my edition, I realized most of the recipes were just not applicable to how I wanted to cook. Mark Bittman emphasizes efficiency, but not at the expense of fresh ingredients or good technique.

4. nauip says:

I was gonna say – it all really depends on what’s included. But then I thought “even with a 30 year all inclusive, everything under the sun is included” warranty that it’s still not worth it.

5. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Let’s see – big fancy stainless steel stove on one hand, 4 year’s take home pay on the other.

Gee, I wonder which one I should choose?

**tears hair out**

6. Bort says:

If it cleans itself or cannot become dirty then its worth a lot of money, perhaps still not this much though

7. ZenListener says:

Finally! A stove top I can make macaroni and cheese on.

8. Emperor Norton I says:

Abt used to sell a $70,000 French range, but all they have in the store the last time I was there a few months ago was a $35,000 one from the same company.

9. Press1forDialTone says:

I just threw up a little in my mouth…..

If I made a range like that, I would make whoever wanted to buy it fork
    over their tax returns for the last 10 years before they took delivery.

10. bluline says:

If people have the money and want to spend it on something like this, so what? It’s no one else’s business.

11. Thnaggle Tooph says:

I wonder if these will be installed in kitchen stadium?

12. eezy-peezy says:

I still cook on a wood stove, so you don’t want to know what I think….

13. Dagny Taggart says:

They irony is that a significant number of these stoves will be installed in homes where the residents either eat in restaurants or order takeout for 95% of their meals that require actual cooking. But they will buy it so they can point to it and humblebrag, “Can you believe the builder had the nerve to charge me a hundred grand for this thing?”