Police Offer PlayStation 3 As Reward For Return Of Guns

Police in Snellville, GA, are trying to recover a pile of recently stolen guns and ammunition, but rather than offer the usual cash reward, cops are offering Sony PlayStation 3 video game consoles.

“We thought by offering something that might be more enticing to the age group that we are targeting other than just some money might bring somebody forward,” a police sergeant tells WSBTV about his department’s attempt to recover the dozen guns, which include an AR-15 assault rifle and an SKS assault rifle. “We did that to try and sort of pierce the veil of this culture of not wanting to inform or snitch as they say on somebody.”

Of course, if you’re involved in the local criminal element and don’t want the baddies knowing you had anything to do with getting the guns back, you might want to have a good explanation for why you suddenly have a new PS3.

But what if the person already has a PS3? Or maybe they would rather have an Xbox 360? For those people, cops are offering a $350 gift card.

The homeowner from whose house the guns were stolen says he’s considering using some of his insurance money to add a cash reward for the return of the weapons.

Comments

1. TheMansfieldMauler says:

LOL there is no such culture, those police must be watching fox news and reading brietbart.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

What do you mean, the culture where if you tell law enforcement about the wrongdoings of your fellow criminals, those criminals might take offense? That actually seems to be a very realistic response, so I think it exists.

• cantiloon says:

I think it’s part of the culture, but more so in theory than in practice. A lot of times, when someone does get picked up they will be quick to drop a dime in order to save their own keester.

2. deathbecomesme says:

I wonder what the procedure is if insurance pays you money for the stolen goods and then you get them back? Gotta give up that property?

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

I would expect refund the claim money. But if one had to use insurance proceeds as a reward to get it back that would probably be ok. As long as you have mitigated the insurer’s loss.

3. Zowzers says:

Ha! that’s probably the first time in the history of the universe that an SKS was referred to as an “Assult Rifle”.

• George4478 says:

Any time a journalist types the word ‘rifle’ in their word processor their software automatically adds ‘assault’. It’s in their autocorrect dictionary.

• dangermike says:

Unfortunately, we’ve been dealing with that nonsense in California for literally decades. I forget how long it took to revise, but the current set of laws actually banned thompson contenders and broomhandle mausers as assault weapons, as well, until a big enough ruckus was thrown to update the laws to exempt single shot pistols and federally listed C&R’s.

4. keith4298 says:

Tens of thousands of dollars in firearms and they are offering a PS3? Do they not understand how incentives are supposed to function?

• Quirk Sugarplum says:

“Hey kids! It’s fun to shoot people for real, isn’t it? You bet! But you know what’s even more fun? Shooting them in PLAYSTATION! Yeah! Take that, Pac-Man! That’s what we’re talking about! So come on down to the Snelville PD and trade your boring old guns for a free video gaming console system with controllers and bonus cords. See you there! Pow-pow-pow!”

• Velifer says:

It might not take very much incentive to push someone into providing info on someone they don’t really like. Seems like a great way to get the competition out of the way if you want to make a play for his girl. First date, play GTA on the PS3. Oh YEAH!

You think they should offer the full value plus gratuity? I don’t think THEY are the confused ones.

5. Applekid says:

From the article: “He said he’s considering offering his own reward from insurance money. He admits the weapons were not locked in a safe. ”

*facepalm*

6. dolemite says:

The average gamer is 35. What age group are they talking about? 0-70?

7. HeadsOnPikes says:

This reminds me of the time I won a free motorboat and I had to go to the police station to pick it up. When I got there, there was no boat and I had to pay unpaid parking tickets.

8. cactus jack says:

How will they protect their PS3 from robbers?

9. Not Given says:

I think I’d rather trade in my PSP (if I had one) for a new gun.

10. newfenoix says:

The Clinton administration called the SKS an assault rifle. They also called the Ruger 10/22 an assault rifle.