Ebay: No But Seriously, Our Newly Redesigned Logo Is Totally Different From What It Used To Be

Listen, everyone: you might think that eBay’s new logo is pretty much the same as its old one, but really it’s totally different and is definitely going to launch the company over its competitors. At least, that’s the thinking behind the update, which keeps eBay’s signature colors but lines up all the letters in a straight line instead of the previous jumbliness it had going on.

A company executive explains how the change will help the company to boost itself over competitors like Amazon and establish it as more of a full-priced online retailer instead of an online auction feel, reports Reuters.

“The eBay logo is known the world over, so changing it was not a decision made lightly. The time felt right,” said the president of eBay Global Marketplaces in an email to employees. “It’s eBay today: a global online marketplace that offers a cleaner, more contemporary and consistent experience.”

The eBay of yesterday was all about bidding on whatever you fancied, from a set of rare coins to cases of cheap pens. But with behemoth Amazon breathing down every e-tailer’s neck, something had to change.

“Auction-style listings, used goods, vintage items and quirky, one-of-a-kind finds are still a big part of what makes buying and selling on eBay special,” the exec admitted. “But we’ve evolved a lot in the past few years, and eBay is much more than auction-style listings today.”

EBay redesigns logo, reflecting marketplace shift [Reuters]

Comments

1. MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

I love how executives think anyone but them cares about their logo.

• Captain Spock says:

OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!111!!!! i am totally going to use ebay now!

• ashley440 says:

A while back, when Gap changed their logo, customers seemed to care and they ended up changing it back. Still, I don’t see how this is going to make much of a difference in sales.

• MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

OK, let me amend that; I love how execs think customers will decide to use or not use their company/service/product based on the logo. I hated the Gap logo as an abstract, but it had no effect on whether I would have shopped there or not.

• ashley440 says:

This I agree with. I didn’t use eBay with their old logo, and I don’t intend to start now just because they changed their font.

• El_Fez says:

Hello! Times New Roman! That’s a font that SCREAMS quality!

• momoftwokids says:

Not Times New Roman. I think it is the even seedier Arial or Calibri (default word font).

• El_Fez says:

Egads! You’re right – the Y is all wrong for Times New Roman. Looking at word side by side with the logo, I’m going to have to concur with the Calibri assessment. The Y is the telling point.

• galaxirose says:

Times New Roman is a serifed font. This is obviously sans serif.

Hope my sarcasm detector is just broken today.

• bluline says:

GE did a similar thing a number of years back. They spent over $1 million on cosmetic changes that absolutely no one outside the company would have noticed. And even many inside couldn’t tell the difference. It was a total waste of money. But they had money to burn in those days, and probably still do.

2. George4478 says:

Do the thinner letters signify that sellers no longer sell at their own risk, with a chance of ebay dealing fairly with you over an unscrupulous buyer?

Didn’t think so.

3. kranky says:

Why is the logo all lower case but when used in text the “B” is capitalized?

• BFSEsq says:

Now THAT is a great question. And in both the old logo and the new one, that discrepancy exists.

I suppose I’ve seen this in other places, like with JCPenney, but it is weird when you think about it.

4. failfailfail says:

I don’t understand the snarkiness. The new logo is very different from the old logo. It has a much more serious look.

• BFSEsq says:

I do think that from the standpoint of graphic design, this was a good call. I mean, they couldn’t have gotten away with changing it substantially, so this is a good compromise. But the old one definitely looked very “web circa 1998,” after all.

• Banished to the Corner says:

I’m not an eBay user, so the change isn’t a big concern to me, but I do like the new one better. It’s lost the childishness and ‘screaming in your face’ aspects, but kept the signature colors and name. I agree, it’s a good call.

5. YouDidWhatNow? says:

“definitely going to launch the company over its competitors”

…what competitors? eBay/PayPal is a funcitonal monopoly when it comes to online auctions.

6. hexx says:

I disagree that the new logo is “pretty much the same as its old one”. It’s the same idea in terms of using the 4 colors, but the fonts are different, the letters don’t overlap, and all the letters are on the same baseline. The new logo sucks. It’s boring and generic.

• redskull says:

Sadly, “boring and generic” seems to be the trend in logo design these days. You have no idea how many logos I’ve seen just this year that look nearly identical to this one.

• PercussionQueen7 says:

Torrid just did this. From a nice script logo with a flaming heart to just the word TORRID in block capitals. Why would they do that?

7. Blueskylaw says:
  8. Abradax says:

Dear eBay.

Comic sans or GTFO.

9. samonela says:

*Now with 25% less Sellers’ support!

10. do-it-myself says:

ebay? Now it looks like “Google”

The Jumbled Mess look is very fitting…now it’s too neat.

11. eezy-peezy says:

“The eBay of yesterday was all about bidding on whatever you fancied” — no, the ebay of yesterday was all about listing items and actually getting BIDS on them!! Imagine that. I have been listing the same kind of stuff since 1999 and I have NEVER seen such stagnation. Not only no bids, very few page views. I can list a similar item on Etsy and get MORE page views in a 7-day period than I do on Ebay.

• lvdave says:

The eBay of old, back when Meg Whitman ran it, endlessly told everyone who would listen, that eBay was a simply a venue. This translated to eBay collecting a fee from YOU, the seller, for listing your auction and another percentage fee when the item sold. You, as the seller, were free to run YOUR business as you saw fit. If you had a buyer who screwed you, you gave him bad feedback, and hopefully this told the next seller that this buyer had issues..

Then Meg left and gave the reins of power over to John Donahoe, who, over the last few years, has become your silent partner in your eBay business.. Arguably the worst of his changes was to eliminate the ability of a seller to leave ANYthing but positiive feedback for a buyer. This caused sellers to be unable to determine if a buyer was good or bad.. With all the rules that JD and his ilk have come up with since about 2008, eBay seems to think you, the independent seller ON eBay, are an employee OF eBay. Of course, don’t forget all of the increased fees.. eBay has now become a very toxic place for the small seller, of which I WAS, prior to about 3 years ago. My wife and I started selling on eBay in 1998, but when JD took over and all the b.s. started coming down, we decided to give it up.. If the eBay board of directors ever decides enough is enough and cans JD, and brings back some sanity to the venue, we might reconsider selling there again…

12. twritersf says:

So eBay spent some hundreds of thousands of dollars on consultants and materials to make their logo look like Microsoft’s new one, but with colors. I wonder how the millions of sellers like that waste of their fees.

• MarkFL says:

Probably went through focus groups, too. Nobody does anything without focus groups anymore.

The worst is when a giant company changes its logo to some trend of the moment. Back in the 1980s, every hip company had to have a logo that was basically a meaningless scribble. (I didn’t like it then, but hey, I was just a copywriter, so what would I know about graphics?) FPL (Florida Power and Light) changed their logo to one of those at that time. It’s now 2012 and they still have the same logo, which I think makes them look like, well, an ’80s company. Oh, and also the new logo cost a huge amount of money (corporate logos usually do), which I though was way out of line considering any mediocre art student would have come up with the same thing.

13. Extended-Warranty says:

I don’t like it.

However, knowing that there’s usually more to the story than an executive throwing a dart at a board full of possible logos, I’d be intrigued to know what the expected outcome is of this.

• SilentAgenger says:

I don’t like it either, and as a graphic designer I’m inclined to slam it…but like you said, “there’s usually more to the story”, so upon further reflection I’m more inclined to believe that this reeks of the typical design process I’ve experienced over the last decade or so (a maddening mix of focus groups and wayyyyy too many chefs in the kitchen, most of whom feel the need to force their opinion &/or direction into the mix in order to create the illusion that they’re actually contributing something positive to the product when in fact they’re diluting it).

/rant

• MarkFL says:

You left out the part where everyone in the approval process has the authority to say no or tinker with it, but nobody has the authority (or balls) to just say “do it.”

14. Weekilter says:

For the life of me I don’t understand companies that change their logo just for the sake of changing their logo. UPS had a great logo (a package tied with string) and changed it for some other thing that doesn’t look catchy at all. Seattle’s Best Coffee changed their logo to look like an ad for a blood bank.

15. ericadam says:

From a marketing standpoint, it looks great

16. Sunrisecarole says:

Why didn’t they just change it to p a y p a l ??

17. Obtruder says:

Then why change it to look nearly like Google? This just makes ebay look like it doesn’t have confidence in its own brand if it has to copy others.

Regardless, what is up with these massive companies rolling out these lame 5 minutes-in-Illustrator logos? People get paid for such a lack of imagination? They must give this job to their newest graphics interns or something.

I put a few weeks worth of time tweaking my business logo until it was solid and unique, and it hasn’t even made a dime yet.