KFC Franchise Exec On Rotten Chicken Allegations: We Had Some Expired Meat But I'm Not Saying We Cooked It

Back in April we reported on a lawsuit brought by a KFC manager in Oregon alleging that he was fired by a franchisee for refusing to serve rotten chicken, and instead throwing it out past its expiration date. In another case involving former employees crying foul fowl, Texas health officials found no evidence that chicken past its “kill date” was served to customers, even if the franchise’s owner says such expired meat has been on the premises.

The “kill date” is just what it sounds like — 10 days after a chicken is killed, it’s either time to cook it or toss it. The county’s investigation into the complaint brought by either a former employee or a “friend of employees” (it’s not clear who brought the allegations up) has been closed.

The complaint alleged that “KFC is selling boxes of rotten chicken,” reports YourHoustonNews.com, but officials are done looking into the matter after visiting a few days after the initial complaint on March 28.

“There was no evidence found (of rotten chicken),”  said the director of consumer health services for the county. “We get these all the time.”

Even though an inspector noted a foul odor emanating from the back of the kitchen and in the walk-in cooler, all food products were within the dates of use.

And so what if there was to be expired chicken there, notes the executive vice president for a group that owns 34 KFCs in Texas, including the one at the crux of the complaint.

“The kill date is literally the date the chicken is killed at the plant,” he said. “The mandate is that we sell that chicken within 10 days (of the kill date). We have had some chicken expired, but I’m not saying we cooked it.”

Does not saying you cooked it mean it never happened because you aren’t saying it did, or it just never happened? Now I’m confused.

No evidence of rotten meat at KFC, officials say [YourHoustonNews.com]

Comments

1. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

Every other time I eat at KFC, I end up with a storm raging inside me. But I can never remember if I got sick last time, or the time before, so the Circle of Diarrhea continues…

2. infinityspiral says:

I’d be every kitchen has had something expire, but yeah it doesn’t mean it got served. Oh bag of salad shipped partially rotten- throw it out. Meat marinated in the walk-in didn’t sell as well as you thought? Just saying stuff happens. It’s only bad if you try and sneak it by to customers, which is what it looks like they couldn’t prove happened.

3. jrs45 says:

So, someone made allegations, and no evidence of wrongdoing was found. So this makes Consumerist news? Yeah everyone likes to make fun of fast food restaurants, but there is, literally, no story here.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

It’s a follow-up story. I don’t just want to hear if the franchise was found guilty… it’s nice to know if they are found by investigators to be not guilty. Would you rather be wondering, later on, about what happened to that one franchise that was accused of selling rotten meat?

4. humphrmi says:

I always love how “investigators” can determine no evidence of foul play, five months later. So it didn’t happen, because (A) the chicken that the manager threw out five months ago isn’t still in the dumpster, and (B) they haven’t done it again.

What a great system.

• GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

“…but officials are done looking into the matter after visiting a few days after the initial complaint on March 28.

You should try to get a refund on that Hooked on Phonics set you bought.

• crummybum11 says:

But “five months later” COULD BE a “a few days”, since as far as I know there is no legal definition of “a few”.

And you know, everything’s bigger in Texas anyways.

5. who? says:

That foul odor was probably bad chicken that was thrown out back just as the inspector walked in the front. I’ve seen that before at better places than KFC.

Unless the chicken was frozen at some point, 10 days is starting to push it. It may not be unsafe at 10 days, but …..oh hell, this is KFC. A 10 day old chicken is probably as good as anything else they sell.

• cactus jack says:

This is from ages ago from when I was a teen working there, but the chicken would come in plastic tubs frozen and left to thaw and drain (bottom of tub had holes) in the cooler.

Every once in a while a case would go bad a little early and we were told to throw it in the freezer until the delivery guy came back for a refund. Pretty easy to tell when one went bad as it smelled like a ripe turd.

Unfortunately, I do know that on at least one occasion we ran low on chicken and we were told to pull it for marinating. Absolutely disgusting.

• who? says:

I never worked at KFC, but I worked at a Wienerschnitzel as a teenager. Much the same. It was 20 years before I could eat a hot dog.

6. Starrion says:

I see a lot of Taco Bell hate online, but nothing makes me feel intense gastic distress like a full serving of original recipe with potato wedges, corn and biscuits.

Even thinking about it makes my gut ache.

7. Blueskylaw says:

The inspector noted a “Fowl” odor, yet no evidence of rotten chicken was found?

8. AdAstra says:

I worked at a place while still in college where there was horrible smelling, rotting chicken in the freezer and the manager refused to let me throw it away. Needless to say, for at least a week and a half, we had to smell rotting chicken because the manager said, “It’s not yours to throw away.” Thank goodness he didn’t make me cook it and sell it.

9. AdAstra says:

What would concern anyone who would choose to eat at KFC would be the comment the manager made: “We had some expired meat but I’m not saying we cooked It.” Should expired meat be lying around any restaurant? Absolutely not. This increases the chances that the expired meat could/would be sold. Sounds like bad management practices.

10. Aliciaz777 says:

I can’t understand why anyone would eat at any fast food place. The food is disgusting. I much prefer going to the grocery store and preparing my own food. It tastes a lot better and I know for certain it’s not rotten.

• shepd says:

Wait wait wait! I can answer that one!

For exactly the same reason I don’t understand why anyone would want to eat at a place serving “healthy” food. The food is disgusting. I much prefer going to the grocery store and buying Hungry Mans (or just going to McD’s). It tastes a lot better and I know for certain it’s not rotten.

Well, I’ll be honest, I do understand why (because their taste buds are different) but because I know why I don’t bother to wonder publicly about it. ;-)

• RvLeshrac says:

I can’t understand why you’d go to a grocery store and prepare your own food when it costs substantially more to prepare single-servings of food, unless you’re willing to eat the same meals over and over for a week or more.

11. impatientgirl says:

I have meat expire at my house way too often. Its there until I throw it out and its not cooked. Isn’t that what he’s saying? Its there but they didnt cook it.

12. RiverStyX says:

KFC is low-budget trash compared to Popeyes.

13. HogwartsProfessor says:

I quit eating at KFC after getting sick twice. The first time, I thought it was just a fluke and I wasn’t sure it was the food that made me sick. The second time, I was. No more KFC. Since I’m trying not to eat so much junk, it’s not much of a loss.

Dammit, now I want chicken planks from LJS…