Sprint To Roll Out 4G LTE Network To 100 Cities Over Coming Months

While Sprint may be a distant third place in the wireless wars, the folks in yellow are not going down without a fight. Earlier today, the company announced a plan to roll out a new 4G LTE network in more than 100 cities during the near future.

Right now, Sprint only has LTE service in 19 metropolitan areas, mostly in Georgia, Texas, and Missouri.

The full list of areas set to be upgraded to LTE is below, but the company says the following major cities are set to receive the faster service in the next few months: Boston; Charlotte; Chicago; Indianapolis; Los Angeles; Memphis; Miami; Nashville; New Orleans; New York; Philadelphia; and Washington, D.C.

Sprint says that customers with LTE-compatible devices in these areas may begin seeing LTE service pop up before an official turn-on announcement is made in that city.

This news comes as Apple is set to announce its latest iPhone, which is expected to be LTE-compatible. Sprint has invested heavily in iPhones and continues to push its unlimited data plans, which competitors AT&T and Verizon no longer offer to new customers.

The company says it aims to have the full build-out of the network completed by the end of 2013.

Here is the full list of coming LTE sites from Sprint:
Aguadilla-Isabela-San Sebastian, Puerto Rico
Albermarle, N.C.
Anderson, Ind.
Asheville, N.C.
Athens, Tenn.
Athens, Texas
Austin, Texas
Barnstable Town (Hyannis/Midcape), Mass.
Baton Rouge, La.
Coamo, Puerto Rico
College Station, Texas
Columbia, Tenn.
Columbus, Ind.
Cookeville, Tenn.
Crossville, Tenn.
Daytona Beach-Deltona-Ormond Beach, Fla.
Elkhart-Goshen, Ind.
Fayetteville, N.C.
Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach, Fla.
Gainesville, Fla.
Kinston, N.C.
Knoxville, Tenn.
Lakeland-Winter Haven, Fla.
Lancaster, S.C.
Lawrence, Kan.
Lincolnton, N.C.
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, Calif.
Lumberton, N.C.
McPherson, Kan.
Memphis, Tenn.
Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, Fla.
Morgan City, La.
Morristown, Tenn.
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
Muncie, Ind.
Nashville, Tenn.
New Orleans
New York-White Plains-Wayne, N.Y.
Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, Va.
Ocala, Fla.
Topeka, Kan.
Tullahoma, Tenn.
Tupelo, Miss.
Warrensburg, Mo.
Washington, D.C.-Arlington-Alexandria, Va.
Waukegan-Lake County, Ill.
West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Boynton Beach, Fla.
Wichita, Kan.
Wichita Falls, Texas
Wilson, N.C.
Worcester-Fitchburg-Leominster, Mass.
Yauco, Puerto Rico

Comments

1. Tatdude806 says:

This is typical that small towns get the services first, while mid-size cities suffer. What I find funny and disturbing, is that Lubbock, Texas is not on the list. Yet tiny little towns like Athens, TX are on the list.

Population:
    Lubbock, Texas – 2010 – 229,573
    Athens, Texas – 2010 – 12,710

Sheesh, we get everything dead ass last!

2. MrMongerty says:

I would be really interested in getting Sprint, but I always seem to have a better signal on my Verizon even though I live in Kansas City, (where Sprint HQ is).

I am not even talking about 4 or 3G, but I know people who lose service completely in certain areas surrounding the metro (basically once you get 20+ miles outside of downtown, the service gets really spotty).

Anyone other KC residents able to vouch for Sprint? Have they gotten any better recently?

• scoutermac says:

Sprint Service is really spotty in some parts of Indianapolis. Once you get outside of Indianapolis forget it until you hit the next city.

• MrMongerty says:

Sad to hear it. I really REALLY want to like Sprint, but they just don’t have the infrastructure I need (as my job requires a ton of Traveling between midwestern states).

• scoutermac says:

About two years ago Sprint had better coverage than AT&T. Today AT&T has much better coverage than Sprint.

• Chuft-Captain says:

I’m not sure what scoutermac is comparing with, but I’ve had Sprint for over a decade. I’ve never, never had any kind of trouble with a signal over long distances if we’re talking about phone calls. Data? Sometimes, some places. But I’ve been to Boston, Skaneateles, NY, San Diego, LA, Richmond VA, Louisville, Owensboro, Lexington, Paintsville and Frankfort KY, Indy, Cinci, Columbus, Cleveland, Nashville, Knoxville, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, Flagstaff, St. Louis, Little Rock, Raleigh NC, Orlando, Atlanta, Evansville IN, Chicago and Rockford IL, Dallas, Dallas, Providence, State College PA, and a fair few more in that time. Unless the building itself was causing reception issues, never a problem, and vith very rare, short distance exceptions, most of the spaces in between when driving have been good as well.

• luxosaucer13 says:

My company switched from Sprint to US Cellular for the following reasons:

1. Unless you live in a metro area (population 100k+), their coverage sucks ass.
            2. Data speeds are slow no matter where you go (130 kbps according to speedtest.net).
            3. Despite all “data” to the contrary, their customer service is abysmal. Their retail employees “coach” their customers to give them perfect scores on the surveys in fear of their managers’ retribution if they get a non-perfect score.
            4. Their retail store employees act more like used-car salesmen than wireless “consultants” (as their name badges imply).
            5. As with the rest of the “big four”, if you want to buy a phone at a discount, you have to sign another 2-year contract, which is a steaming pile of BS.

With US Cellular, my company gets far better customer service, coverage, faster data speeds and this:

No other postpaid cell company comes close, IMHO, and I’ve tried them all.

• Bob A Dobalina says:

Every provider has spotty service in some areas. It just depends on where they got a license to put the cell site

Coverage issues are another thing LTE is going to mitigate

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

No Denver? The largest city in Colorado?

Or is it already there?

• MrMongerty says:

I am fairly certain that they have 4G in Denver.

• Rexy does not like the new system says:

I’ve gotten 4G on Sprint in Denver, but that was a suburb and I may have been roaming. I know the Springs has it downtown for testing, so I would imagine they have it up in Denver as well.

• Bob A Dobalina says:

Sprint has two “4G’s”- LTE and WiMax. Your phone would have to be equipped with one of these to access 4G

If you do have LTE you are probably right that you are getting signal from sites that are not officially turned up yet

4. TrustAvidity says:

Nice to see WI getting some love… oh wait..

• eirrom says:

Yeah, no shit! Glad to see the Virgin Islands is getting LTE ahead Wisconsin.

There must be tens of people there with Sprint service.

• drmk says:

Michigan is also conspicuously absent from the list.

• Inglix_the_Mad says:

Tell me about it. If I didn’t get a 30% discount due to my employer, I’d leave for a different carrier.

• ZachPA says:

I got a 25% discount on Sprint, and yet I still left for Verizon. It turns out that with a few adjustments to my usage pattern, I was able to get the same level of service for $5 more per month, though the quality of service seems like it’s worth $50 more per month.

On Sprint, I had the 450 minute, all-you-can-eat text/MMS and unlimited data plan. I never went over a gig of data (wifi at home and work), and I paid $73 a month after taxes and fees. On Verizon, I picked the 450 minute plan with 2 gigs of data, but with no text/MMS plan. I pay $78 per month now after taxes and fees, and that’s with no employee discounts or anything. So, for $5 a month extra, I get a service that is usable *everywhere* I go.

That said, I did have to make one adjustment that might be considered “out of the ordinary”. When leaving Sprint, I ported my number to Google Voice. Google handles all my incoming calls, any outgoing calls I choose, and all SMS/MMS functions. It works pretty seamlessly. The main advantage to porting your number to Google Voice is that you can forward calls to any phone you choose (mobile, hard line, etc), and you can select that forwarding on the basis of groups and/or individual contacts (calls from Mom go to hard line only, calls from ex-girlfriend go directly to voicemail, calls from current girlfriend go to mobile and hard line at the same time, etc).

5. and_another_thing says:

Still nothing for Oklahoma, but lots of small towns elsewhere. Hopefully that means they’re getting upgrades because they need them most.

• ChuckECheese says:

Nothing in Phoenix AZ either. Phx never got Sprint’s WiMax either. Sprints rolling out this service in cheaper to build rural-ish places. Wichita Falls, really? This is why I gave up on Sprint in April.

6. PunditGuy says:

Must be a typo. Minneapolis isn’t on the list. (*cries*)

Be that way. I’ve still got nine months on my Nexus S nearly-4G anyway.

• nbs2 says:

This list is only the new places (I live in Houston, and I think we got it a couple months ago).

So, it may already be there? Maybe?

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Nope, my husband would’ve “squeeeee”-d if we had gotten 4G here in MPLS.

I recall they’ll start working on it about Q2 of next year (about 50% completion by April). But yeah no definite dates yet. :(

• PunditGuy says:

We’ve got WiMax, not LTE. Sprint thinks that 1 to 3 Mbps is good enough for 4G here.

7. scoutermac says:

From the sprint press release “Eventually, the markets will fill in until coverage largely matches the existing nationwide 3G footprint.”

I guess since my Sprint phone does not work at my home in Indianapolis I guess the 4G LTE upgrades won’t help me any.

• tsume says:

When they replace hardware at sites (via the “network vision” upgrades) they state that you should see a signal improvement of 5-15% even on 3g. Not sure how accurate this is as although Johnson City is on the list, the upgrades have not come my way yet.

8. dolemite says:

So, only 2 cities in VA, and both are some of the most densely populated areas in the state.

• tsume says:

Kingsport-Bristol is on the list, so I assume Bristol, VA and Gate City / Weber City, VA are included as well since those are both in the Kingsport-Bristol MSA.

9. GearheadGeek says:

Ugh… rolling out more cities before they’ve gotten things under control in the launch markets.

I live in a launch market and it’s only been in the last couple of weeks that I saw much 4G connectivity at all, and it’s still quite spotty.

• eirrom says:

Sprint would not be Sprint if they didn’t handle the rollout poorly.

Did anyone really expect this to go smoothly? This is Sprint we are talking about.

10. wombats lives in [redacted] says:

For my fellow MN people, which may notice the lack of us in the above list, we may be lucky and still included by next year.

11. Willow16 says:

“New York-White Plains-Wayne, N.Y.

This should be New York City-White Plains, NY-Wayne, NJ area.

12. Bladerunner says:

There was exactly one place in all of Tucson that got 4g reception. And I mean one place…like 10 square feet, and I don’t know why or what network it was hooking up to.

And reception was spotty in a lot of places. And then they were rude to me about the EVO 4G…so now I have AT&T, where I have 4G everywhere I go (which, granted, isn’t a lot of places).

13. Fozzman says:

I live in Wichita, KS. Home of Spirit, Boeing, Ratheon, etc. Population 350,000ish. Sprint still doesn’t even have normal 4G service here yet!! My wife has a Sprint iPhone 4S and is stuck on 3G! I have a Galaxy S3 with AT&T. AT&T has LTE here. We went to my mother’s in Estes Park, CO (Population 4,000 on a good day) and AT&T even had 4G there.. my wife was once again in 3G.

She is counting down the days until she can switch over to AT&T with me.

14. glopezz05 says:

I’d be happy if MORE of San Antonio got the roll out. Right now I can only get it in two spots, and that changes if I move more than 10 feet from where I first pick it up.