Is This 9/11 Casino Promotion A Nice Tribute, Or Just Tacky?

Reader Bearcat44 spotted this ad in the Spokane, Wash. Spokesman-Review. It’s from an Idaho casino running a promotion tomorrow, September 11th. To honor the 11th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in New York, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, they’re offering special rates to law enforcement, medical personnel, and other first responders in order to honor “heroes who protect and serve our community.”

Special deals for eligible “heroes” include hotel rooms for only $91.11, food vouchers for $9.11, and $10 in play credits. What? Not $9.11 in credits?

Comments

1. PragmaticGuy says:

It seems even more tacky because it’s a pretty shitty deal. In Atlantic City you can get room rates for about $50 mid week on special so I guess they really don’t care about the people who protect and serve.

• Almighty Peanut says:

They sure don’t! Their regular rate is probably $50, but the troops get the 911 deal!

• dulcinea47 says:

This isn’t Atlantic City. You’d really have to compare the room rates to *where the rooms actually are* in order to get any idea if that’s a good rate or not.

• Bernard says:

It’s supply and demand.

Casinos are not legal in Washington State or Idaho unless they are on tribal land. With very few other alternatives I’m often surprised their prices aren’t higher.

Note: I’m a Spokanite

• missminimonster says:

The food voucher doesn’t seem like much, either, but I’ve never been to a place like that so I really wouldn’t know.

• msbaskx2 says:

This casino isn’t in Atlantic City, so why would you compare the two??

2. TerpBE says:

The mall near me is having a “9/11 Kids Klub”. I think they’re having patriotic-themed crafts for kids, but seriously, who thought that the name was a good idea?

3. golddog says:

You’re only supposed to double-down on 11 in Blackjack, not terrorist attacks where thousands died.

4. MutantMonkey says:

If a good portion of the proceeds were going towards some affiliated 9/11 support group, I would probably be OK with something like this. Profiting off of this, however, is extremely tacky

• StatusfriedCrustomer says:

Agreed – if this were a real charity that people could get behind, I could understand it.

• RandomLetters says:

I’m with you. Instead of all the 9/11 pricing gimicks, just offer a reasonable discount and say that for everyone that uses the offer you’ll make a donation to a worthy 9/11 charity. Getting all “cutesy” with the pricing like that is just sad.

5. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Absolutely disgusting and disgraceful.

6. Snowblind says:

What kind of deal do they have for Dec 7th?

7. Sarek says:

Great idea! Let’s reward our first responders and military by addicting them to gambling.

Who designed this promotion, Rudy Giuliani?

8. Abradax says:

All they need now is a twin stack of pancakes with a plane shaped fork for breakfast to complete the trashiness.

9. Tristan Smith says:

I just looked up their normal room rate. $99 for the 11th. So overall not that much savings.

10. ovalseven says:

I voted “tribute”. This is a casino, after all. They’re not exactly hotbeds of morality to begin with. What else are they going to do if they want to cut a break for the heroes?

They could have skipped the pricing gimmick though.

11. Obtruder says:

It’s been 11 years, can we just let it go now?

• RvLeshrac says:

We’ve killed twenty times as many civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan as were killed on 9/11, so probably not. We’ve got a few thousand more children to maim.

12. Chris Long says:

Gee, Laura, figger it out and let us know, willya’…

13. july18 says:

no tackier than SIXTY MILLION DOLLARS a year for the 9/11 moneypit … memorial

14. carterpeartford says:

I’m sure all first responders have a sentimental attachment to the numbers 9 and 11, I bet that promotion makes them feel right at home.

• RandomHookup says:

As a continuing part of the tribute, the numbers 9 and 11 on the roulette wheels have been changed to black.

15. tinyhands says:

Does any Police department in America have uniforms like that? It’s definitely not Spokane PD’s uniform. It looks British/European to me.

16. Press1forDialTone says:

Tacky is too light a word for this new low in gambling advertising.
    Reprehensible. Tasteless. Sleazy. What are some other apropos
    word to describe what these cretins have done?