Parents Of Twin Tots Appease Fellow Travelers By Handing Out Bags Of Candy, Ear Plugs

There is nothing like the experience of being stuck thousands of feet in the air in a tiny metal tube with screaming newborns. Knowing this, it appears that the parents of one set of twin babies wanted to get in the good graces of their fellow travelers by handing out bags of candy — and offering free earplugs to — the people around them.

In a photo posted on Reddit over the weekend, the note inside the bag of candy reads:

“We’re twin baby boys on our first flight and we’re only 14 weeks old! We’ll try to be on our best behavior, but we’d like to apologize in advance just in case we lose our cool, get scared or our ears hurt. Our mom and dad (AKA our portable milk machine and our diaper changer) have ear plugs available if you need them.”

The traveler who posted the pic wrote, “The parents were fantastic and the kids were better than would be expected. Mom was super nervous and obviously very tired, but still extremely nice to everyone around her. Not a mean or frustrated word from dad either.”

Of course, this could all be the fantasy of someone who thinks parents of young children should be showering airplane passengers with sweets and cute notes, but we think it’s a step in the right direction. It’s certainly a nice change of pace from the stories we hear of parents who ignore their bawling babies while everyone around them thinks nasty thoughts.

[via Daily Mail]

Thanks to Harper for the tip!

Comments

1. Velifer says:

Terrible parents! At fourteen weeks old, their children are still missing commas in lists? What is this world coming to?

• GuJiaXian says:

Well, to be fair, not all styles use the serial comma (even though I’m a proponent myself).

• chatterboxwriter says:

Maybe they were following AP style (no comma in a simple list). The faulty parallelism, however? Unforgivable.

• shepd says:

British newspaper, so I assume British parents, in which case the serial comma is not commonly used.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

But they spelled “behavior” without the “u,” as in “behaviour.”

• shepd says:

That is also common for newspapers in areas that normally use the “u”. Many (okay, at least one major one… I rarely pay an attention and on “The Sun” bothered to say they do this in an editorial) newspapers in Canada will drop the extra “u” to save space and ink.

I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if that happened in the UK also.

• shepd says:

I also rarely bother to read what I wrote.

I rarely pay anY attention and onLY “The Sun” bothered to say they do this in an editorial

• lauren6318 says:

my god people! dont you know its called the ‘oxford comma’. DUH. don’t you watch “boss”?

2. MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

That’s a great idea…but I would have included disposable earplugs in the baggies. You can buy a container of 50 pairs for about $10.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

But some people probably brought their own. Given the option, I’d rather use my own than a cheap disposable pair. I definitely appreciate the thought, though.

• MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

Yeah, true, but some people on the flight may have been diabetics, right? I’m not trying to take away from what they did, they deserve an A+ for effort, but asking people to come see you for earplugs just seemed to me to be a little self-defeating when they’re 20 cents a set. It’s possible they were stretching their budget as it was with providing the candy, and at least they offered earplugs, but unless the issue was cost (which it might be if you just had twins), I would have included them.

• STXJK says:

Yes, or if the little ones start screaming, I’d have Dad start walking down the aisle tossing them out like peanut packets. Don’t make people have to ask and have the “awkward moment.”

3. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Minus 1 point for the “this is from us babies!” cutesy crap, but otherwise well done.

• STXJK says:

Right. Was I the only one grossed out by the “portable milk machine” comment?

• NotEd says:

It was a little bit odd and I thought another cutesynickname could have been substituted. Still it was better than calling her “the Womb”.

4. Mr_Magoo says:

…mom….portable milk machine….come by to get a pair….

Sorry, but my mind went there.

5. yankinwaoz says:

What about duct tape to cover the screaming brats mouths? :-)

One has to wonder what is earth is so important that you have schlep two 14 weeks babies on a plane? Seriously… if the grandparents want to see the kids, then they can come over and visit.

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

Maybe she was 7 months along and visiting relatives at the time, and the babies decided they wanted out early.

• Errant Venture says:

My family immigrated to the US when I was 12 weeks old and my brother was 18 months. We flew.

• jvanbrecht says:

Sometimes, when you have to travel.. you have to travel. We also flew this past weekend, only a 2 to 3 hour flight, with out almost 4 month old. For the most part, baby was well behaved, and did not bother any of the other passengers.

What is even more interesting, is that those passengers around us, were very understanding.

Side note, at least according to my wife (I am a horrible father apparently), you cannot place a infant in a baby seat for extended periods of time. Flying is the better option since they sit on your lap.. and don’t end up with a flat head that is still developing.

Life does not stop when you have a kid, but you do need to adjust.

• Geekybiker says:

Just pinch their nose, blow in their mouth and that dent will pop right out.

• alana0j says:

Just throwing in my two cents…I did take a trip from Clarksville, TN (my hometown) to Dallas, TX with my daughter when she was about 4 months old. My (now ex) boyfriend and I would take a trip to Dallas each year to see relatives, and we didn’t want to miss out or have to fork over a ton of money for a flight. I assure you my daughter’s head is in great shape and she is a healthy, happy four year old!

Also, I LOVE this story! Yes, it’s a teeny bit corny making the note from the babies, but I greatly appreciate fellow parents who are considerate of others.It’s no one’s business to question why they flew…babies aren’t anchors that keep you forever in one damn spot…but too many parents are completely oblivious to the ruckus their kids cause and make a bad name for all of us. Either way, KUDOS to these parents!

• VintageLydia says:

It’s possible it was a risky or complicated pregnancy and they had to travel to a particular doctor or hospital to give birth. Often multiples have a lower birth weight and need to spend a little time in a NICU, anyway, plus their chances of other complications are much much higher than singletons. It’s possible they had one of those complications that required a specialist.

• Stickdude says:

Enter text…

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Oh get over it. I’m so sick of the baby hate.

Sometimes traveling with kids is unavoidable. Also, you were a screaming brat once. We all were. If you want to fly without babies, rent your own plane and spare us from your self-righteousness.

• TacoDave says:

When my grandmother died we had to fly to go to her funeral. We had a one-month-old at the time and she was great on the trip.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: just because *YOU* have never had a good reason to fly with a baby doesn’t mean *NOBODY* has a good reason.

• msbaskx2 says:

Do you have a list of reasons that you find acceptable? And a list of those you don’t?

6. George4478 says:

“Oh, look. Cupcakes.”

7. Torchwood says:

Kudos to the parents who were proactive on this issue. There are enough parents who, when they receive complaints about their kids, tell you to STFU.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Those are the ones who need the complaints the most, unfortunately, but who are least inclined to listen. Really, I see far more people whose kids ARE under control (for the most part) than those who aren’t. I think the indulgent-snowflake thing is starting to swing back the other way.

8. MissPinkKate says:

I think that’s cute, very nice, but I don’t expect it as a passenger and I wouldn’t put something together like that as a parent. Whatever happened to everyone giving each other the benefit of the doubt? I don’t need a goody bag.

• chancyrendezvous says:

I think proactive parents get the benefit of the doubt, but they seemed to be (sometimes vastly) outnumbered by inattentive parents.

• longfeltwant says:

What would the benefit of the doubt mean?

If you are an adult screaming on a plane, you are annoying me and I wish you weren’t on the plane.

If you are a dog barking on a plane, you are annoying me and I wish you weren’t on the plane.

If you are a baby crying on a plane, you are annoying me and I wish you weren’t on the plane.

There’s no “doubt” involved. We have one set of rules in society. In my opinion, only in rare exceptional circumstances should disruptive creatures be on a plane. Medical emergency? Okay, I’ll abide. Want to go see grammy? Sorry, you want that, and I want a quiet flight, and there are 200 more people on the plane who want what I want.

9. Momma Be Thy Name says:

I’m not above bribery, and when I decide to take that first flight with our twins, our grab bag will be bigger and better. I’m thinking iPads and Nutella.

10. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I would have been happier and more tolerant had they passed out pints of Bell’s 20 instead of candy.

11. Quirk Sugarplum says:

Pfft. Amateurs. Professional parents would have drugged the candy.

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

Who says they didn’t?

• Banished to the Corner says:

I have a friend who would give her children Benadryl at the beginning of long flights, especially when they flew to Europe or The Philippines. She told me her son would complain when he was 6 or 7, saying “Mom, I feel fine, I don’t need my allergy medicine!!”, but would take it. This year, just before starting high school, they went to France. When he asked about taking the his allergy meds before the flight, Mom said, “Oh, you don’t need them, you’re old enough to behave properly – I just didn’t want to deal with a grumpy child on a flight”. She said he was so mad that she’d lied to him that he didn’t speak with her the whole flight and sat with Dad.

• nopirates says:

my son is part of the small number of kids who react horribly to benadryl. instead of calming him, it makes him freak out. i’m glad we tested this technique at home instead of just giving it to him on his first flight.

• longfeltwant says:

Thanks for the tip. I’ll make sure to test with my forthcoming firstborn.

• mmmveggies says:

omg NO. Don’t drug your kids!!!! How are more people not outraged at this??
            I heard one great tip I’m going to try should I need to fly: take a pacifier and dip it in maple syrup. The baby sucks and swallows and her ears acclimate to the pressure difference.

• eezy-peezy says:

a friend used to give his toddler paregoric on flights – this is a LONG time ago. That stuff was great.

• shepd says:

I love that the child’s punishment gave mom exactly what she wanted, a quiet child! :^D

I bet he didn’t think of that one.

12. Hoss says:

In another year, when they’re kicking my chair and asking the same questions over and over…. little nips of vodka would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

13. Sarek says:

Seems classy to me. Though I’d prefer a child-less flight.

14. STXJK says:

I’m now picturing the newest uberMom crafty category on Pinterest for these sorts of goodie bags for every potential child-offensive occasion, in Martha-Stewart-esque lacy lockstep.

15. Snowblind says:

*loads the 12-Gauge with #5 comma-shot*

Definitely, needs, more, commas,,,

16. beachcomber says:

You people are a tough crowd. At the end of this month, I…we…my grandson will be that child. I have asked my daughter, who is on maternity leave, to accompany me on a genealogical expedition. Does she HAVE to bring my grandson? No. But, since he’s only 8 weeks old, it seems better than dumping him in daycare. Believe me, we are WELL aware that we will be THOSE people. We have our fingers crossed that he will sleep, eat, or be otherwise quiet (were there enough commas in that?) so we don’t disturb other passengers. I’ve been on flights with babies and have been far more bothered by the toddlers who are allowed to run, yell, kick chair backs, and whine while their parents do nothing to correct the behavior of kids well old enough to know better. I have also listened to an inane electronic game turned up loud enough that I couldn’t hear my iPod.

I apologize in advance. We will do everything in our power to not disturb other people. However, if you are so intolerance that you can’t even empathize a tiny bit, can I suggest you just chill and be grateful you aren’t the ones dealing with a sad child at 30,000 feet who doesn’t understand what’s happening. (*off to Booze Warehouse to load up on mini-bottle bribes for the travel bag now….*).

• scoosdad says:

Good luck with your flight, and just be sure the booze is in 3 oz. or less bottles and what booze you bring all fits comfortably into just one quart-sized ziplock bag. Otherwise we will be forced to confiscate it and subject it to closer examination.

Thanks,
      The TSA

• richcreamerybutter says:

Make sure the booze is clear or light aqua, then place in a 3 oz-or-under toner bottle with accompanying cotton pads so it looks legit. :)

17. Budala says:

They brought candy on the airplane, that just screams that this didn’t happen in the USA with the TSA almost strip searching everybody.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

I wouldn’t be surprised that, if in a more friendly airport in the USA, that a TSA employee would be happy to let the candy through, if only he got one or two…

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Pish, I had a whole backpack full of food, including a little tiny cream cheese container that was NOT in my quart bag, and they didn’t even NOTICE IT.

18. Aliciaz777 says:

I’ve only flown about 3 times, all 3 times there was at least 2 or 3 children on the plane under the age of 4, and all 3 times the flight was quiet as could be. I’m very grateful for the parents on those flights because I’m terrified of flying and screaming/rambunctious children would’ve made my experiences so much worse. If anything, I’m usually the one who starts crying on a flight (not hysterical, just a quiet, 5 minute “omfg please God don’t let anything happen to this plane” I’m scared cry). But in my defense, all 3 times I flew, I was flying to or from a very stressful situation (once was after a huge fight with a family member and I just up and left, the other was round trip after my sister suffered a severe head injury). So yea, extenuating circumstances that anyone might break under.

The flight attendants and the passengers next to me we’re so, so nice. One lady held my hand every time the plane hit turbulence. So as far as the “fellow passenger” part of my flights, they were the best as could be.

19. eezy-peezy says:

Jolly Rancher candy wouldn’t do it for me. I need chocolate.

• AllFriedBreakfast says:

There’s TCHO – branded as luxury chocolate – in there ! So except possibly for some diabetics, it looks like they tried to think of everyone. Note’s a bit too cutesy, but I think it’s a nice gesture, and demonstrates thinking of others. Me likey.

20. richcreamerybutter says:

Wow! I’ve made this suggestion a few times over the years, and I love that they one-upped me with the addition of candy. Nice work.

I don’t even have an interest in raising children, but definitely realize there are circumstances in which travel with infants might be necessary. I can’t imagine new parents would put themselves through the flying procedure with babies unless there was a very good reason.

• longfeltwant says:

“I can’t imagine new parents would put themselves through the flying procedure with babies unless there was a very good reason.”

Really? I can imagine it, and I can think of a zillion bad reasons.

21. HogwartsProfessor says:

This is GREAT!

Sometimes flying with little ones is simply unavoidable. What an imaginative way to ease the situation. :)

22. SilverBlade2k says:

Maybe airlines should take notice and start to offer ear plugs on flights when children are around.

23. fleef says:

Earaches cure for kids on flights: Vicks VapoRub in ear. Opens their little baby fat ear canals. It works. Trust me. No more screams.

24. Trjgul says:

Seeing as I’m the spouse of a soldier stationed overseas, we HAVE to fly when we get stationed back in the United States. I have two girls, and I have flown with the older one four times before. She was fine for the most part, I made sure to take care of her ear popping so she didn’t scream during takeoff and landing (Protip: blow a puff of air into your baby’s face every now and again to force them to swallow and help equalize the pressure in their eardrums).

And no, we don’t have any other options- I’ve actually had someone (who was not military, of course) call me an idiot for not considering taking a boat. Seriously. a 3-4 month trip, that wouldn’t be covered by the government, and get my husband in trouble for showing up to his duty station WAY late.

Look, I’ve been the person irritated by the screaming child as well, but I’m not one of those parents that will let her own kids raise hell without trying to calm them. We’re not all jerks, so how about giving us the benefit of the doubt until shown otherwise? It’s not like shooting all families the stinkeye is going to magically guarantee their kid won’t cry or act up.

25. Halloween Jack says:

They’re putting Tcho in their goodie bags? That’s some fancy gourmet shit right there!

26. soj4life says:

Looks like someone was watching frasier.