Apple Is Having Trouble Getting Enough Screens For The iPhone 5

If you’re planning on getting and iPhone 5 when it launches in a few weeks, you might want to be proactive about pre-ordering, because Apple is allegedly having trouble getting enough screens.

A source told Reuters that Sharp, the maker of the screens, has fallen behind schedule. The screens are allegedly different from the screens in previous iPhones in that they are 30% bigger, thinner, and have the touch sensors built into the LCD. The current screen has a “touch layer.”

Sharp declined to acknowledge that Apple is a customer.

Computerworld said that each iPhone launch has resulted in more phones sold on the first weekend, and an analyst for Robert Baird speculated that this could be the biggest product launch of all time, let alone the biggest Apple launch of all time.

Sharp’s output of new iPhone displays lagging -source [Reuters]

Comments

1. fsnuffer says:

Time to lower the minimum working age in China to 12 so they can boost production of new Apple screens.

2. Invader Zim says:

Oh joy, another prepublicity attempt b4 prelaunch. Please spread the news that there will be a “shortage” so more workers can leap out of windows and more people can pay more money to get the newest. Oh scarcity where forever art thou.

• Ekopy says:

I doubt this source was Apple and I doubt it was for publicity. Get off your high horse and put away the Apple pitchforks.

• Invader Zim says:

I own apple products and there always seems to be a issue just before launch.

• dulcinea47 says:

That’s kind of when you would have a publicly noticeable problem, is when you’re trying to make lots of them at once. You don’t tend to have launch problems when you’re not actually trying to launch anything.

• Invader Zim says:

I see what your saying. However, they arent really making them all at once. They are making them in the span of several months. Besides, looming scarcity, drives prices up and makes some people want the item more, right? A launch occurs when you send something out for the first time such as an iphone5 or a newly released video game. :o)

• Press1forDialTone says:

Quit drinking Apple Kool-Aid and read the “Steve Jobs and his wife approved”
        bio of Steve by Walter Issacson. Everything we thought was true.

• Rocinante says:

I read it, and yes he was a big jerk who belittled his employees and ignored his family, but his business decisions were almost always correct: iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, Apple Stores, Next, Pixar, etc.

3. Marlin says:

The most amazing iPhone yet

4. Galium says:

Maybe they should ask Samsung for a few screens. Oops, forgot that Samsung was on the top of the Apple sue everyone list.

5. sqeelar says:

Perhaps they can sue Samsung or Google or your mom since now they surely must have a patent on “Not getting stuff made/done in time.”

6. Press1forDialTone says:

Announcement From Apple to Chinese Workforce from Steve Jobs (via seance):

“The beatings will increase in intensity until you make enough screens for the iPhone 5
    And don’t think you can avoid them by committing suicide!!”

7. Press1forDialTone says:

Anybody ever wonder why so many Apple things are white?
    Especially those obnoxious cords?
    It was Steve’s favorite color and to him it represented “purity”.
    I wonder what the suicides in his Chinese factories represented to him.

• Invader Zim says:

• RayanneGraff says:

What I find funny is that all the original iCrap was in white. I bought an iPod back in 2006, and you could NOT get a black ipod anywhere in my state. They had an abundance of white ones though. Now, it’s the white ones that are in high demand. Marketing ploy much, Apple? Yeah I think so.

8. GreatWhiteNorth says:

Wouldn’t it be fun if they were sourcing these from Samsung!

• nauip says:

iPhone 4 & 4s were sourced from Samsung. Samsung has been able to get Apple the volume they required in the past, but it seems the new screens will be coming from 3 new sources, possibly due to the Apple vs. Samsung kerfuffle? LG, Japan Display and Sharp. But Sharp hasn’t yet shipped any displays to Apple.

9. dush says:

Is that a Foxconn QA employee in the picture?

10. DanKelley98 says:

Do they buy the screens from Samsung?

11. tlvx says:

Meh… I’ll wait till the untethered jailbreak is confirmed.

But, I definitely need more memory in my phone.

12. Bodger says:

[sarcasm]
    I’m certain that the acolytes of the Cult of Apple will be able to pray sufficient screens into existence before it is too late. They are called to meet at the sunrise service on St. Jobs day next and will perform their miracle then. Alternatively, Apple will convince the faithful that devices without displays are kewl and patent the idea of the non-display and sue every company making any device without a display in a cooperative court.
    [/sarcasm]

• RayanneGraff says:

Its comments like this that makes me wish Consumerist had a reddit-like comment system, cause I’d upvote the shit outta this.

13. NotEd says:

Maybe Sharp should have waited on firing 2000 employees until after they had enough iPhone screens?

14. MarkFL says:

I recently read (maybe here?) that FoxConn was improving working conditions.

Connection?

15. nolitt242 says:

Are they going to blame that on Samsung too?

16. Kuri says:

Eh, my main problem with Apple stuff is how damn clean it all looks.