Bic Is Of The Mind That A Sex-Specific Pen Is Necessary For Women Stuck In The Kitchen Or Whatever

Perhaps the Bic Cristal For Her pen has been around for some time now — after all, women have had writing needs for at least a few hundred years — but now that Amazon reviewers have gotten wise to the pen’s “elegant design – just for Her!” featuring a “thin barrel designed to fit a women’s hand,” (women’s, not woman’s, eh, Bic?) the company is catching holy hell in the form of hilarious reviews.

Not only is the pen dainty enough so as not to overtire the more delicate sex’s fragile hands, but it also has a “diamond engraved  barrel for an elegant and unique feminine style.”

Some of the top snippets of reviews reveal how shoppers are reacting to Bic’s sex-specific pens, notes The Daily Mail.

“Oh golly, I’m just waiting for my husband to come home from his long day at the office to see if I have his permission to order this dreamy looking pen!”

One of our favorite reviews bears the title, “I am writing this in the kitchen.” No doubt she’s barefoot and pregnant as well, right, Bic?

Another gem:

If you identify as male do NOT use this product.

The “for her” label is not just a gimmick exploiting archaic gender constructs, it’s a WARNING. Even if you’re a boy who likes pastels and glitter (which really I don’t see why you shouldn’t, what kind of moron thinks that only girls would like that kind of thing? seems kind of backwards to me) this pen is NOT for you. I don’t know why they didn’t put a clearer warning on the label, they really should have because if you are a boy and use this pen you put yourself at great risk. My little brother turned into a unicorn after I lent him one, and my friend told me that a boy in her class grew fairy wings in the middle of a test.

Let’s all pause and wait for Bic to hop in a time capsule and fast forward to 2012, shall we?

*High five for the tip, H.G.!

‘Ask your husband for some extra pocket money today!’ Amazon shoppers’ hilarious reviews of Bic’s pen just for women [Daily Mail]

Comments

1. Smiley Massacre says:

“I thought this would work like all the similar products I’ve bought in the past, but I keep urinating on it and it won’t turn pink *OR* blue!”

XD

2. Blueskylaw says:

Bic and all other corporations come up with these crappy “variations” of common products
    in order to gain more shelf space (eyeball views) at the stores they are sold in.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Why don’t they just make the uni-sex pen. It would have two tip: one pink for girls, one blue for boys. That way either sex can use it, they just have to click the right color.

WARNING: DO NOT USE THE OPPOSITE SEX COLOR, OR DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY MAY OCCUR

4. Bladerunner says:

In the 50′s, Sheaffer came out with a “Pen For Men”, so I guess times have changed…before all the other ones must have been for women, and now they must all be for men!

5. Captain Spock says:

I bought a light sparkly purple precision screwdriver “for women” it has been the best precision driver I’ve gotten outside of the REALLY expensive ones (i have long slender fingers)

• Bladerunner says:

And green blood, undoubtedtly.

• Blueskylaw says:

It is green because the oxidizing agent in Vulcan blood, the base element of his hemoglobin, is copper, not iron as it is in humans. Copper oxide (verdigris) gave Spock’s blood its blue-green hue.

• tofupuppy says:

My grandmother bought me a miniature purple flower-print hammer as a gift. I’m not quite sure why I might need a miniature purple flower-print hammer. The normal-sized dull gray metal one with a rubber grip that I already owned suited me just fine.

6. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Oh man. Just when I figured out after much embarrassment that men’s collar buttons are on the right and women’s on the left. Now I have figure out which pen to use.

7. nbs2 says:

Contrary to all the snark, I see value for this. Women, generally, have smaller hands and thinner fingers than men. Finding a pen that better fits your grip is nothing to complain about. Additionally I can’t tell if the diamong engraving is meant to mean hatching or if it is engraved by diamonds, but the former is nice as well. Anything to improve grip is not to be shunned.

Now, the sily colors, I would mock. But, I know a certain little girl that lives in my house – a house where every effort was made to hook her on Transformers and The Ramones and Star Wars – who is so hooked on Princesses and Princess Songs and Princess Movies that the pens could be right up her alley. Of course, they could have just called them “Pastel colored pens” and it would have been just as effective.

• DuckNCover says:

I am female, 6′ tall, and I have fairly large hands. I also have arthritis which makes gripping small/slender things incredibly difficult. I guess I am relegated to a man’s pen world *sigh*

• thenewguy says:

j/k <3

• Michael Belisle says:

Six foot tall puts you in like the 98th percentile for women, doesn’t it? If you were a man, you’d be in the 75th percentile. So yeah, if this product had merit because women are statistically smaller, it wouldn’t apply to you.

But I don’t know what I’m doing bringing statistics into this. Obviously they should have said “Bic Cristal for smaller hands in pastel” or something. Because I can think of literally at least zero men who would buy something like that.

• Libertas1 says:

So what are you doin later….

• Aennan says:

I could get behind this if they weren’t the exact same Big pens that have been on the market for years. The ‘diamond engraving’ is at the other end of the pen that the grip.

The best part is really the commercial, showing a tween walking down the school hallway. She needs a pen, but turns all the boys down until a hand pops out with the pen for women. I thought it was a joke commercial at first.

• sadie kate says:

I have very dainty hands, and I have to say I’ve never had an issue using one of them pens used designed for menfolk.

• nbs2 says:

Fair enough. I have noticed that my fingers are pretty picky as far as pen thickness – too thick or thin and my hand is uncomfortable for long editing sessions. I wear a size 7 or so ring, so I figured a fair number of women would be in the same boat.

• Cerne says:

But then people couldn’t get offended over nothing and who’d want to live in a world like that?

• Darsynia says:

Except it’s not nothing, it’s another in a long line of unnecessary products that reinforce the idea that even everyday items are designed for men except for the few items that are specifically for women. It isn’t that difficult to say ”smaller design!’ or something instead of trying to pretend that the majority of women need a different pen size. Some things are helpful or even necessarily different, but a pen? This is fail advertizing.

• MMD says:

I’m not offended. I think it’s ridiculous. Are you saying this product isn’t ridiculous? Or that the internet is not the place to which we turn when we wish to ridicule?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’m looking at my pens and I see plenty of non-gender specific slender pens that I ignore because it feels like I’m holding a toothpick. There are plenty of pens that are suitable if you prefer a thinner pen. They don’t have to be “for her” or for any specific gender.

8. ole1845 says:

Interesting that it has a clip for a shirt pocket. When buying fancy pen and pencil sets there really is a difference for men and women. The ones for women don’t have a clip for a shirt pocket (I’m not making this up).

9. samonela says:

I’ve got to say MB…best headline of the day!

10. tomok says:

There’s plenty of silling marketing like this. The only difference is that you’re used to it. Why is one soda more for men (Pepis Max, Dr. Peper Ten)? Or why is one cigarette more for women? My guess this probably targeted at tween and teenage girls.

The movie Tangled had three different marketing campaigns. One for girls where the princess was driving the action, one for boys where the prince was in charge and what for adults that made it look “hip”.

• ChuckECheese says:

If smoking were legal and I were a chick I’d so want an Eve right now.

• Bladerunner says:

I found the Dr. Pepper 10 ads pretty offensive…it’s one thing to use imagery that you know appeals to your demographic, it’s another entirely to be such a dick about it.

On a side note, Marlboro’s were originally a “women’s” cigarette, and they decided to market to men, by changing the ads and…absolutely nothing else.

• Chuft-Captain says:

ALL cigarettes were originally “for women”. Cigarette being a very accurate name, as it was meant to be a dainty, feminine answer to men’s cigars.

And now men consider themselves manly and cool for using them. Go figure.

11. dush says:

This is what we get for letting women learn how to write.

12. ChuckECheese says:

ladie’s

13. RandomLetters says:

On a side note, the “hijacked” Amazon reviews for some products are pretty darn funny. The Mountain Three Wolf Moon Short Sleeve Tee has some truely epics reviews.

14. Cerne says:

I assume this blog will soon be changing their mission statement so their about page is no longer a lie. These sort of posts really don’t fit in with a statement like:

“The Consumerist empowers consumers by informing and entertaining them about the top consumer issues of the day.”

15. Press1forDialTone says:

There are a lot of men today who would like these pens and they
    aren’t gay or bi. They just like colors.
    BIC is really full of it on this one and women who fall for it may be too.

16. HogwartsProfessor says:

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

17. GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

Will it melt if left next to the stove, or in the broiler by an absent minded dame?

• Libertas1 says:

Well of course, only stainless steel and titanium can stand up the the stupidity of the average woman. Thank heavens there were men around to figure these things out!

18. evilpete says:
  19. missminimonster says:

The best comment was from the guy who wondered if he was now a crosswriter from using the pens.

When I saw the commercial for the pens, I almost thought they were kidding.

20. Michael Belisle says:

I’ve never heard of those pens until today, I like the colours, a nice change from the standard, blue, black and red. Do Amazon only sell them, or do most stationers do? I ask because I’m going into town on Thursday and I want to buy a set. – Sarah (UKIP supporter and early 1990′s fan), SW Scotland, 28/8/2012 21:42

Sarah, I’m not sure where you go the idea that were were allowed to like “girly” things, especially girly things marketed to women. You are a disgrace to womankind. You show a total lack of respect for all the effort that your mother put into making sure that you, too, could write with the red, blue, and black pens that men write with.

By embracing these pens, you’re setting the feminism clock back by 50 years. No, scratch that, 70 years.

• Darsynia says:

This is almost too spot-on, I almost reacted with anger ;)

• Galium says:

What is wrong with Sarah wanting to use what she considers a feminine pen? I do not understand why you think she is setting feminism back 70 years. I may be wrong in this but I always though feminism was fighting against not being allowed to do things, wear things, etc. etc., because it was only men who were allowed to do them. That feminism was the freedom to be who you think you are not what someone else says you must be. What you are saying is that women who choose to be feminist must follow your idea of feminism, and not actually be a woman that makes free choices. That feminism is doing only the things that other feminist say is ok. How is your idea of feminism any different than the patriarch system of telling woman what they can and cannot do, because women must only act a certain way?

• msbaskx2 says:

I read Michael’s post as if it were sarcasm. Could I be the only one?

• Galium says:

If someone does not use the snark symbol, then they most likely will be taken for what they are saying is a true comment, not sarcasm.The response will be according to what is there. Unfortunately there are many people who actually believe in what Michael said, a lot of them are men.

21. Michael Belisle says:

At this moment Cristal for Her is #4 on Amazon in stick Ballpoint pens. A year of Internet mockery just might be working (for Bic).

22. Mark702 says:

23. Cream Of Meat says:

While the reviews are funny, I think some people are a little too sensitive.

Are you guys also mad when tampons are targeted towards women?

• Darsynia says:

This comment is gaslighting, IMO. No, we aren’t mad when something designed for something only people with uteri deal with is marketed toward women. Some of us ARE mad when items that don’t need to be segregated like that are marketed like women will only use items that are ‘feminine colors’ or something. Sociological Images has a big group of posts about this phenomenon, the most recent of which mentions these pens: http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2012/08/28/is-there-any-product-we-wont-gender-hint-no/

• Cream Of Meat says:

Hey thank’s for the reply, I learned a new word.

I think it’s ridiculous to get all upset because something is marketed towards a certain group. (except alcohol to kids, but that responsibility is also on the parents) Is it racist to use black people in an ad for something mostly black people use? Should we use androgynous mannequins because some men like to wear women’s clothes? I don’t think so. I could use a tampon for a nose bleed /shrug

On a side note, my buddy buys pink tools, pens, flashlights etc so no one steals his stuff. Works great!

24. Gravitational Eddy says:

“I dunno doc, I just started seeing these funny shades of purple and yellow, you know, pastel-like colors. and then there was this little tiny pony that talked and sang. before too long there was a little group of them and they just will not go away.
    I’m worried that I’m losing my mind. My eight year old daughter doesn’t see any problems but them she doesn’t have to work in the day traders options like I do. She tells me it’s only good luck that they bring, but I’m having trouble seeing the quote boards color codes now. If I trade the wrong way, people are gonna get mad….
    Well, it’s been two or three days at least. Started right after I stopped at the office supply store and they had these new pastel ballpoints…..

25. AtlantaCPA says:

Small barrels cause carpel tunnel syndrome! In both men and women, the smaller the barrel the more likely you are to get cramping and then issues like carpel tunnel.

So Bic, you are trying to injure women now?

26. 4Real says:

I would sooo buy them.. I hate plain boring pens..

27. travel_nut says:

I have a couple of these ’cause I like pink pens. Does that make me a repressed anti-feminist?

28. jsibelius says:

If you’ve seen the commercials, you know when Bic says “for Her” they really mean the “hers” that are still in school (college doesn’t count here). These pens are marketed at tween girls who don’t care about women’s lib; they just know that pink and purple and sparkles are cool.