Parents Television Council Calls For Crackdown On Pixelated Nudity And Bleeped Profanity

Did you know there was a 2700% year-over-year increase in the amount of pixelated and/or blurred nudity on prime time broadcast TV? How about a 2409% rise in the use of bleeped profanity between 2005 and 2010? Probably not, because the only people who watch out for and keep track of this sort of thing are the folks at the Parents Television Council.

“Contrary to what executives from NBC, ABC, and CBS told you in 2004 and 2005, and contrary to what attorneys for the networks recently argued before the Supreme Court, they are not acting in the public interest; they are aggressively pursuing a dangerous agenda to completely obliterate any remaining television taboos,” writes the PTC about its recent findings.

According to the report, NBC was the most skin-friendly broadcaster in the last year, airing 37 instances of full nudity during the 2011-2012 TV season. 33 of those instances were aired with the offending parts pixelated while the remaining four used objects to block bare bottoms, boobs, and bits.

The PTC claims that isn’t clever rule-skirting but blatant flouting of the Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act.

“The networks have made it abundantly clear they have no intention of respecting either the broadcast licenses they’ve been granted or the public in whose interest they are licensed to serve,” writes the organization. “Therefore the American people, whose values are being assaulted on a nightly basis, must insist that the Federal Communications Commission vigorously enforce broadcast decency laws, as mandated by the Congress and affirmed by the Supreme Court.”

For those that want evidence of the offending TV not-quite-nudity, the PTC has reels of the stuff for you to “review.”

We feel bad for the people that had to tally these results. Not because they had to look out for blurred out private parts or bleeped-out F-bombs, but because it means they actually had to watch NBC’s prime time line-up.

Comments

1. That guy. says:

What is the difference between covering a naked body with an object, blurring, or clothing? You still don’t see anything.

• ospreyguy says:

“Oh no! There is a box covering those boobies!” VS “Oh no! There is a shirt covering those boobies, that shows the outline, curve, and cleavage while also giving a little chilly temperature reading!”

Yeah – clothes are much better…

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

I think parental responsibility is the key here. I don’t let my kids watch this stuff as it’s not so much the naked bodies and swear words but the poor behavior these people show.

Someone streaking through the house isn’t something they should see. People using foul language isn’t something they need to be aware of. It doesn’t matter that the words are beeped, nearly every child in America has heard these words. It’s the way they get used.

• fleef says:

That’s nice and all, but we are taxpayers and we legally are supposed to own the airwaves. No one can deny how awful television has gotten with the crude sexual jokes, the absence of any sort of morality to the extent that pedophilia is joked about like it’s harmless (family guy) children simulate oral sex with a penis shaped drinking cup (HBO, sure it’s not OTA tv but whatevs) we SHOULD stand up for decency, yet when someone tries to make a perfectly good argument there’s a troublemaker aligning us with “gun nuts” and religious zealotry. If we care to read the comments on this board, it’s replete with anger and ridicule for anyone standing up for what is right. NO one is asking for completely G rated stuff here, just DECENCY. And that should NOT be met with mockery and personal attacks- in fact read Harry greek’s comment associating the decency advocates with “gun nuts”. Give me a break. And no, the parents are not there 24/7 to hover over every kid to comment on every program. It would be nice if parents had that much power, but admit it, they don’t.

• Azagthoth says:

Do you not know what ratings are for? I’m willing to bet that you asked for them in the first place. Don’t watch something that you morally object to. It is pretty easy, really. Asking for DECENCY is pretty ludicrous considering it is such a subjective term. I would love to watch some shows with my kids that I’m sure you would object to and call indecent. Oh, and I’m a taxpayer too, so shouldn’t my voice be heard as well?

• JJFIII says:

Ok define what is decent to YOU? I could give two shits what YOU do not like. If you are offended and find it indecent TURN OFF THE FUCKING TV. If you do not know how, there is a button on your remote control. It says off. PUSH IT.
          Nobody is forced to watch anything. Of course you are for censorship and banning things. Remember that first amendment?
          “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech”
          The FCC IS congress (established and funded by them). There shall be no LAW abridging my freedom of speech. So if I get on TV and tell you to suck my cock, I am free to do so.
          Your kids are not my problem. If you are so easily offended by words, get a life. They are WORDS, They are speech. If you are so uptight because some girl have a nicer body than you, get over it. If you hate looking at a dick. Maybe you need one.

• sagodjur1 says:

But with the blur you KNOW that they’re naked and that knowledge corrupts your soul! Omigod, I just realized that everyone is naked under their clothes! We’re all going to hell! Think of the children! Nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure! There’s LSD in the temporary tattoos, digital drugs in the sound files, and witche’s poison in the Halloween candy!

/moral panic

• fleef says:

I know, morality is so awful for us all, isn’t it..

• wombats lives in [redacted] says:

There are variations as to what different people accept as morally okay.

• Zmidponk says:

I’m sorry, but the simple title of ‘Parents Television Council’ immediately brings to mind a gaggle of pointy-nosed, grey-haired biddies screaming, ‘someone think of the children’ if anything even remotely unsuitable for children gets shown on TV. Which means TV would be reduced to a carefully screened selection from Nickelodeon on all stations 24/7.

• RayanneGraff says:

Define morality.

I guarantee nobody on this site has the same definition of it, and therein lies the problem. What is moral to you is prudish to others, and what is immoral to you is normal to others.

2. deniedbeef30 says:

Chris have to disagree a bit on your last sentence. NBC is normally the only network I tune it to for the prime time comedy block on Thursdays. 30 Rock and Parks & Rec are perhaps some of the funniest shows on television.

3. dwasifar says:

In my experience any public advocacy group starting with “Parents” or “Family” really just wants whatever they’re mad at to be returned to whatever condition it was in during the 1950s.

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

More accurately, what people want to think the 1950s were like.

Okay, maybe the 1950s were more conservative than other “olden days” decades. But can we retaliate by wanting things to return as they were in the 1920s, where bordellos advertised in the newspaper?

• RandomHookup says:

Let’s not forget 90% marginal tax rates on high earners.

• Draw2much says:

I was about to say, let’s go even farther back to the good ol’ 1920s… People have this misconception about the past. I guess this is what happens when all most people have to go on is TV. (I say that because most grandparents were born in the 40s-50s, and were thus kids during that time. They were heavily influenced by movies and magazine, and maybe some TV. Most parents, however, were born in the 1970s or later, and only know what the idealized 50s were like by what they saw on screen..)

4. aaronx says:

So, these people are against pixelating the nudity and bleeping out the swearing?

Change we can believe in! As long as it’s, you know, hot chicks. And not dudes.

5. Harry Greek says:

I think their best course of action would be to call the local police when the TV networks send goons to break into their house and force them to watch their shows. I mean, that right there can be stopped. They even have the right to shoot them.

And, I am 100% sure they have guns. Because every person who screams about morality and God usually has a gun somewhere, loaded and ready to end the life of anyone who threatens them. And pro-life,… at the same time of being pro-death penalty.

6. Invader Zim says:

I almost alway equal pixeled, blocked, or blackened parts with poor show selection by broadcasters and myself.

7. Runner says:

These types of groups will not be happy until only religious programming is on. And by religious I mean “Christian Only”.

They think of the 1950′s as their golden age.

I’m also so tired of hearing “Think of the children”. Most of these TV shows are rated as mature. They shouldn’t be watching them anyway.

• Duffin (Ain't This Kitty Cute?) says:

This exactly. That’s the problem. They demanded ratings. We got ratings. It comes down to people like this don’t want to have to actually /parent/ their children anymore. They want to be able to set them in front of a TV and let them watch whatever they want without having to worry about them seeing pixelated body parts. It’s BS anyway. Do they not realize that kids nowadays see and hear worse on the internet and on the school playground?

• aaronx says:

Where do you live that nude people are running around school playgrounds!?!?!

• JEDIDIAH says:

Don’t ever travel to Europe, your head might explode.

• Runner says:

Or 3/4ths of the rest of the world. I see more skin walking down the streets in Tokyo than I do on public TV in the states. Goto the clubs there and you’d think you walked into a strip club.

Kosovo… yeah. What people wear at night in the privacy of their bedrooms in the states is daily out and about clothes there.

European.Beaches.Are.Awesome.

• Kenshiroh says:

In addition to the ratings, they also demanded and got the V-Chip.

• spamtasticus says:

Scenes of bestiality, polygamy, infanticide and murder with rocks? I would probably not tune in.

• dvdchris says:

I looked at the list, and none of the shows referred to are rated as mature.

8. dana scully says:

Prime time TV is no place for any nudity or profanity. This crap is not necessary. If the writers and producers of these shows can’t come up with anything worth watching without the crap, then maybe they need to look for other work.

• Overheal says:

If you dont like it dont watch it.

• Runner says:

Or maybe the <2% of the people that object to these types of programs shouldn't watch them?

• Zowzers says:

I disagree! I demand more pixelated body parts and more bleeps!

actually, I just demand a show that is nothing but a bunch of random pixels and bleeps!

• chefboyardee says:

Or, if you’re “thinking of the children”, you can watch tv with your kids and explain the OMG SCARY NAKED PARTS, and you know, BE A PARENT.

If you’re an adult and you’re offended by it, grow the F up.

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

Coming from an X-Files character. That show was always the most reliable source of gore on broadcast TV.

• Duffin (Ain't This Kitty Cute?) says:

I always knew you were a prude, Scully. It’s why you never had sex with Mulder. He’s too kinky for you!

• That guy. says:

But there ISN’T nudity or profanity.

Just because something is omitted, or is implied, doesn’t mean it is actually there.

• JEDIDIAH says:

The notion of “Prime Time” has been outdated since at least the 90s.

There are 500 channels with most stuff being viewable on demand. No one is a captive audience of the broadcast networks. What they do at a certain time of day is pretty irrelevant.

The rest of us will just record it, stream it, or ignore it entirely.

• Kuri says:

So, how much does the PTC charge for membership?

• kathygnome says:

Says someone with a name from a show which featured jokes about penis shrinkage in the cold and auto-erotic asphyxiation.

9. Overheal says:

So first they wanted us to bleep everything

now they want us the bleeps that they wanted in the first place?

I think it’s time to get parent councils to the curb. You want the definition of parenting? Turn off the fucking television.

10. Barefoot Dude says:

“Therefore the American people, …, must insist that the [FCC] vigorously enforce broadcast decency laws, as mandated by the Congress and affirmed by the Supreme Court.”

Note to PTC: I am part of “the American people” and I don’t recall nominating you to be my spokes-group. GET OFF MY LAWN!!

11. momoftwokids says:

And to think the 2409% rise in the use of bleeped profanity DOESN’T include Gordon Ramsey!

12. Hi_Hello says:

end plxelation and bleeping!!
    I don’t see the point.

In Europe, there’s nudity everywhere…and guess what…nobody cares.

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

But in Europe, people are thinner.
      /just changed the scope of this discussion board

• That guy. says:

Is that because they are more aware of their bodies, due to nudity being more common?

Is it because there is a tradition of the lovable fat American sitcom character, thus it’s viewed as perfectly normal? (Starting with Honeymooners, Rosanne, King of Queens, The Simpsons, etc).

13. Budala says:

Who cares what a crazy bunch of folks think. This is a nanny nation and they want it to be expanded even more. These folks need to grow up and start letting the kids live in the real world and not nanny state. While we are at it make sure that all kids events keep score and no throphy is given to the looser.

14. nishioka says:

I’m calling for a crackdown on the Parents Television Council.

15. Duffin (Ain't This Kitty Cute?) says:

Anyone else want to start a new council with me? I’m thinking, “Not Easily Offended Adults Council, or NEOAC. We’ll fight to end pointless censorship on television, radio, and the internet.

• pab61 says:

I’m in. What I think is funny is none of these groups complain about the amount of violence on TV. I guess they are ok with ‘the children’ watching people killing and beating each other but if they see a bare tit or, god forbid, a nipple (gasp!) it will ruin them for life.

16. dolemite says:

“completely obliterate any remaining television taboos”. Good.

17. coloradogray says:

Really have to think how much reality tv has to play in this. There seems to be more of it on every year.

18. Cerealmom says:

I knew my kid was watching too much TV when the Jackass Movie was on prime-time TV one evening with pixelated breasts and my kid asks me “Where are the titties at?”

19. El_Fez says:

*sigh*

I wish we were like the rest of the world, where seeing a breast was no big deal. . . .

20. The Beer Baron says:

Bah! Why must there always be someone out there trying to ruin others’ fun? I say there is not enough pixellated nudity on the public airwaves! My word, these nancies would not have known how to handle the Victorian era. Ribaldry everywhere! Why, one could be propositioned by a lady of the evening at high court in front of the Queen herself, and no one would have batted an eye! But now, all these Old Maids clutch their pearls in shock should someone even hint that the human body has parts specifically designed for naughty adventures. Gone are the days of such storied publications as the Pearl, which, if you were old enough to carry it to the counter, you were old enough to buy it. Again, I must ask what they are teaching in schools these days.

• axhandler1 says:

Beer Baron, I just wanted to stop by and say how much I enjoy reading your comments. Keep up the good work, sir! I also support more nudity on television.

• The Beer Baron says:

Why thank you, sir. I do my best to make everyone’s day just a bit brighter and add to intelligent discourse!

• RavenWarrior says:

More asbestos, more asbestos, more asbestos!

21. Hartwig says:

I agree slightly, i think we need less pixelating, black bars and bleeping. I just think we should let the broadcasters air these shows without these concerns. Let the P part of their organization decide what their kids should watch. Those of us over the age of 18 who don’t feel offended should be free to watch what they like.

22. callenjr says:

The PTC probably still supports Todd Akin as well.

23. Kuri says:

Oh please, the last time any of these cronies probably did parenting was asking Consuela to get their snowflake to stop bothering them.

How else would they have the time to fight a once sided culture war against windmills?

24. Gambrinus says:

The only thing I’m offended by here is the suggestion that the PTC represents the public interest.

25. NotEd says:

Hey, how about use your v-chip or Set top box rating control to keep your precious spawn from seeing or hearing a hint that they shouldn’t see or hear something and let me watch my damned show?

26. SilverBlade2k says:

oh for fucks sake..

If the Parents Television Council has their way with everything, Television would be nothing but kid-friendly educational shows with absolutely no entertaining qualities whatsoever.

It’ll be all Spongebob, Rugrats and Barney.

They just want the responsibility of ‘parenting’ to be up to the networks/Government, and not take any responsibility themselves.

Kids *will* see nudity, they *will* hear curse words. It’s called the playground, it’s called the internet. Kids will see and hear this, you can not stop it at all.

27. framitz says:

The censoring is just stupid, especially bleeping language when it is obvious what is said.
    Knock of all the censoring and let people decide what they want to watch.

28. Velvet Jones says:

Attention Parents Television Council: F*ck You!

29. Delicious Spam is delicious says:

they are the only ones that care about this outdated morality they are imposing.

30. do-it-myself says:

Instead of wasting time complaining about shows and channels they are more than welcome to ignore, they should use that extra time they obviously have to work second jobs to stimulate the same economy they also complain about.

31. AngryK9 says:

I [bleep] know that it is [bleep] annoying to be sitting at my [bleep] desk and hearing the [bleep] TV in the other room [bleep] making a [bleep] BEEP sound every [bleep] 5 [bleep] seconds because the [bleep] on the [bleep] “reality show” (which isn’t even [bleep] real any [bleep] way) feel it [bleep]necessary to [bleep] curse every [bleep] other word. It [bleep] drives me up the [bleep] wall, ya [bleep] know what I [bleep] mean?

[bleep]! Now I’m [bleep] doing it!

32. HomerSimpson says:

Oh, I’d thought the religious right jumped off a cliff or something since we hadn’t heard from them in the past couple of hours. Good to know it’s not true! /s

33. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

It’s called being a parent. Learn to use the technology. Don’t subscribe to every cable channel in existence, and if you do, block what you don’t want the kids to see. Use the rating system. This isn’t difficult. Oh, and there is an “off” switch…just pointing that out. And if you’re really offended, cancel the cable all together, and get parent approved DVD’s instead.

Just remember, when your kids go to their friend’s houses, you can’t control what they watch there. :)

• dvdchris says:

The PTC in this article is referring to regular network broadcast television, no cable/satellite subscription required.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Thanks for reminding me of that. I live in a dead OTA area, so if you want TV, it’s Comcast or satellite.

• hobochangbar says:

True. When I 1st became familiar with Tosh.0 I didn’t think I needed to watch it without the kids around. Daily Show/Colbert are about all I watch on Comedy Central which I’m fine with them seeing. So I started watching 1 episode of Tosh.0 with the kids nearby. Luckily I had the remote nearby and didn’t have much explaining to do.

Funny, I never thought for a moment that someone other than myself was responsible for my kids almost seeing a pixelated stripper shooting liquid from her hoo-ha.

34. physics2010 says:

I’m sort of for getting rid of the bleeping. Every time my girlfriend turns on a reality tv show it sounds like someone sending the Encyclopedia Britannica in Morse code.

35. RayanneGraff says:

Funny, I’m willing to bet that these same parents would have no problem with their kids watching a war movie where people get blown apart or shooting an animal & watching it die, but OMGZ they must be protected from hearing a wirty dord or seeing a sideboob!!! God, guns, & family!

Yup, the only course of action is to change the rest of society to fit their delicate sensibilities, baby jesus forbid they just change the fucking channel or something sensible like that.

36. lucyrickyalex says:

To be fair, a naked Howie Mandel would be dangerous to society.

37. Kenshiroh says:

The way they quantify “offensive” material in these studies is ridiculous.

“Halfway through the season [of The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.], U.S. Senator Byron Dorgan singled out Brisco as the most violent show on television based on a study at Minnesota’s Concordia College, in which students watched 132 hours of network and cable programming during a single week. The students tallied each act of violence, and found that Brisco had 117 violent acts per hour. The study deemed Brisco more violent than the film Beverly Hills Cop, which was also viewed for the study. [Creator Carlton] Cuse called the criticism “patently ridiculous,” noting that only one episode of the show was viewed, in which a boxing match takes place. Each punch and jab was counted as an act of violence. Cuse spoke out against legislation to curb television violence, saying that politicians were “chasing a false objective.” He said it was the job of a show’s producer to control the moral content of a television program and the parents’ duty to monitor what their children watch.”

38. ke.gibbons says:

America, with such a thirst for zombies, meat, violence and appeal to righteous authority, juxtaposed with an abhorrence for things natural. I now do not understand mine own country…

39. glopezz05 says:

I agree. Too much bleeping, to many pixilated privates…

Stop bleeping and pixilating. Just let it go. let them curse. show us naughty bits. if you don’t like it, change it. if you don’t want your kids to see it, parent them.

40. Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

Hmm, v-chip, parental controls, show ratings. They have the tools to make this a moot point, through their judicious use.

Oh, wait, right, they’re too fucking brain dead to figure out how to use them. These are the people who have a VCR with 12:00 flashing on the display. They’re expecting the rest of us to accommodate their stupidity.

To which I say: Fuck you. Read a fucking manual. And if you can’t even be bothered with that, televisions are built with an “on/off” switch. If you can’t even handle THAT piece of technology, then get rid of the television. Oh, and never leave the house, you’re a menace to society.

41. Chairman-Meow says:

Ahh yes, the PTC.

The PTC is in actuality two guys & a fax machine which they use to manufacture outrage.

42. Aliciaz777 says:

Dear PTC,

You don’t speak for me or any other person who’s not a member of your censorship loving group. We all have different values. Also, I find nothing wrong with nudity and swearing. Stop trying to force your values and beliefs on me and everyone else who doesn’t agree with you and find something better to do with your time. There’s issues way more important than what’s on TV.

I hate the PTC.

43. Libertas1 says:

Turn the stupidity off and take control over your life.