Who Wins In The Battle Of The Schticky Vs. The Sticky Buddy?

As you may recall, everyone’s second-favorite infomercial pitch guy Vince Offer/ShamWow Shlomi resurfaced earlier this year, selling a reusable silicone roller called the Schticky that claims to pick up everything from pet hair to food particles to coins. Meanwhile, English pitchman Anthony Sullivan has been pushing the similar Sticky Buddy to people who can’t sleep and don’t feel like finding something on Netflix. But which of these items is better? And are either of them any good?

Luckily, our test-happy cousins at Consumer Reports decided to find out the answers to those very questions, pitting the $19.95 Schticky against the $10 Sticky Buddy.

Both devices were put to the test in a house with three long-haired dogs and one cat. And though both items were found to work, you might want to think twice before buying.

“When faced with lots of hair, both rollers filled in one revolution and had to be cleaned before they’d pick up more,” writes CR. “Removing lint and hair from the rollers takes more work than the product videos indicate. We needed to rub them under a faucet and dry them on a lint-free cloth.”

And if you’ve got a whole house full of pet hair, you might want to invest in a vacuum cleaner. Among those that Consumer Reports rates as best for picking up pet hair: $100 Bissell CleanView Helix Deluxe 71V9 or 71V9-2; Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Rewind UH70120 or UH70110; Kenmore Progressive 21614.

Comments

1. Coffee says:

Easier solution to your problem: don’t own a cat. Shave your girlfriend.

• Press1forDialTone says:

Cats rule! Dogs drool. I kid. I like both!

• Coffee says:

One of these days, you’re going to have to pick a side…in the war of dog-lovers versus cat lovers, fence-sitters will be given short shrift.

2. Duffin (Ain't This Kitty Cute?) says:

Really? Going to keep giving prostitute-beating Vince a job, huh? I guess if Chris Brown can win a Grammy, it’s cool for Vince to go back to shilling.

3. GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

Who wins? The world, that’s who.

4. SmokeyBacon says:

I am really surprised that they are selling these in infomercials – they have been around for years (like my dad had one and he passed away in 2003). I have cats and honestly another option (other than a pricey vacuum) is a slightly damp sponge – I use it all the time and it works great (just be sure it is barely damp). You have to clean the fur off but it is a lot easier to clean and doesn’t need it as often. And most people have sponges around the house they can use so it is basically no cost.

5. Press1forDialTone says:

I wish Consumer Reports would spend the money I send them
    for actual consumer protection and testing instead of
    useless products sold on infomercials. It really dings
    their credibility when they try to be “fun” and “hip” wasting
    money on video production. If you are too lazy to tear off
    a used adhesive sheet on the (been out there forever) 3M
    roller, then you’ve got other more serious problems other than
    lint.

• chatterboxwriter says:

I don’t think the idea is that people are too lazy to tear off a sheet. It’s that you have to keep buying the replacement rollers.

• Geekybiker says:

Pretty much this. That and you’re always out of sheets when you need to clean off some hair before heading out to a meeting. The sticky rollers can always be ready.

6. Gornash says:

Vince shall forever be immortalized in World of Warcraft. He is a Goblin named Vinnie Slapchop who sells Volcano Rocks. If you sit for a few minutes and watch him a prostitute appears and he begins to beat her. Best in-game NPC ever.

7. beachdad says:

I’ve found the soles of my Crocs to be very effective at removing pet hair, especially from carpeted stairs. Weirdly effective.

8. ironflange says:

Those are nothing new. I’ve owned the same thing for at least twenty years, and it still does an OK job, on little things anyway.

9. chatterboxwriter says:

I have the Sticky Buddy and think it works very well. I have not had to do anything extra to get the cat hair off of it. You just run it under the faucet and maybe rub it a little if it’s really sticking.

10. steam says:

Just love that video, really great presenter and really to the point!

11. Telekinesis123 says:

Yes these things don’t work. These were being hawked in the 80’s and 90’s and my father bought a set. They become not sticky when rolling something extremely quickly and pick up remarkably little for that to happen. They are a pain to clean and as mentioned have to be cleaned under water and as they age they get progressively harder to clean and gummy. They only work when they are *completely* dry so yes you have to have some sort of lint free cloth. To fully clean a shirt when you have a cat as a pet you may have to do this 2-3 times.

If you have a pet you’re much better off buying these rollers with detachable sticky sheets. You roll and use up a sheet then it detaches much like a paper towel then you use the next. You can buy them and refills quite cheaply if you look around and nothing works better then them.

Often when you want some clothing cleaned you are in a hurry to leave the house and you do not have time to fiddle around with this thing by putting it under water and drying it and such. Your time is much more valuable then the supposed saving these will bring. The amount of time they waste, and their ineffectiveness/frustration factor makes them quite expensive.

12. Sad Sam says:

I vac and then use the Scotch Brand Fur Fighter which I’ve found to be the best combo to get rid of puppy hair (I’ve got a two year old black lab in Florida).

13. Kuri says:

I’d get a Sticky buddy only because Anthony is less annoying to me and he worked with Billy Mays.

14. Red Cat Linux says:

I have one, though not of either brand, and it works well.

Though I would never suggest anyone use it as the ONLY means of picking up dog hair. If you have that much fur all over, you have more problems than a lint roller can handle.

These things are meant only for quickie clean ups. If you have ever messed with the rolls of sticky tape lint/fur catchers, this is a perfect replacement.

If what you’re cleaning can’t be done in 1-2 passes, then you are using the wrong tool.

15. Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Duct tape FTW!. Reverse roll it around your hand and throw it away when full.
    $10 gets a LOT of duct tape

• Pagan wants a +1 button says:

I used to use masking tape. Even cheaper, easier to tear off and works just as well!

16. Cream Of Meat says:

Wow she was pretty punny

This is funnier