Comcast Truck Blocks Me Out Of My Driveway, Blocks My Brother In

Last week, Dan returned home from work to find that Comcast contractors’ vans had blocked his driveway in. Not just one, but two vans from Kabletown had parked across the end of his driveway. Sure, Dan could just park on a neighboring street and walk for an extra minute or so, but his brother had a bigger problem: he was blocked in. What could they do? Call the police? Comcast? The homeowners’ association? Jack Donaghy? Dan wrote to us while the brothers were weighing their options. One interesting piece of information: the brothers are disgruntled former Comcast customers.

Here’s a photo of the two vans in position.

My brother and I moved to a house in [redacted] a year ago. We’ve both had a myriad of problems with Comcast in the past, so we opted for Verizon FiOS after the move. (That didn’t prevent Comcast from wreaking havoc on us anyway, since Verizon was striking at that time, but that’s a whole other story.)

A year with Verizon has gone by with no complaints. But Comcast is still screwing us. In addition to a host of bills we’ve been issued for a service we never purchased from them, today I came home from work to find two Comcast vans parking me out of my own driveway.

You can see from my picture the street alongside my house is not very wide, and shares neighbors on the other end, and the few feet they left me would not be enough space to make it up my driveway, at least not without running over my own neighbors, and only then if they didn’t have a vehicle of their own in their driveway. So I parked at a neighboring street and walked to my home, to find my poor brother had beaten the truck there, and had effectively been parked in.

We’re debating calling a tow truck. I feel like that’s low, but for Comcast, somehow appropriate. If I was forced to walk 5 minutes to my house (from a public spot with PLENTY of parking available), I don’t see why they couldn’t have made the same effort.

That was during the standoff. We wrote back to Dan to see how things went, and who finally made the call to get the vans towed.

We decided to give them an hour or so, and then call the homeowner’s association to see what we should do. They beat us to calling a tow truck on them, but not before my brother could compose this passive aggressive note which left by his windshield. In case you can’t read it, I’ll translate for you:

“Greetings Comcast Technician!

It appears that one of my neighbors has made the wise and prudent decision to partake in your extraordinary services. Although I fully support the continued growth of your company, I must admit to a dissatisfaction with your choice in parking spots. In consideration of your outstanding reputation in customer service, I am confident this incident will be resolved swiftly.

Certainly by now you may assume that I’m speaking sarcastically, and that I have no realistic expectation for this van to be moved any time soon. Your company has caused me countless hours of inconvenience, and though I dropped your services long ago, still you manage to haunt me. I would sooner rely on an intoxicated teenager to drive me across the country than rely on Comcast to provide high speed internet to my household.

Your reputation precedes you.

Sincerely,
A Happy Verizon Customer

P.S. [Redacted] from the [redacted] service promised me a refund for over payment of $20.49 on Ocyober 14th, 2011. I have yet to receive it.”

Well, it probably felt nice to get all of that out of his system, even if the terrible parker isn’t a Comcast employee

Comments

1. dolemite says:

I’m confused…2 trucks means there’s got to be several Comcast guys working in the area, right? So for over an hour they didn’t need to return to their trucks? It just seems to me it shouldn’t be hard to track them down and tell them to move their trucks (even though you shouldn’t have to).

• GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

They weren’t there for over an hour. The OP said they would have called the HOA if they were there for over an hour, but before they could call them or even a tow company, the trucks were gone, but not before the OP could get a picture of the letter(which makes me wonder why there is a picture of the letter, but NONE of it ON the truck. My skeptical sense is tingling!).

• dolemite says:

Heh, I read that wrong. I thought they told the HOA about it after an hour, and the HOA beat them to calling a tow truck driver. “We decided to give them an hour or so, and then call the homeowner’s association to see what we should do. They beat us to calling a tow truck on them”

• DuckNCover says:

I read it the same, that the HOA called a tow truck on Comcast. I think the OP needs maybe to work on their pronoun placement a bit.

• limericki says:

in many cases, the hoa can only call for towing of vehicles in red/no parking/fire zones, handicap spots, etc.. only owners can call for blocked driveways, etc. just how it rolls here in cali… although, here we have red zones painted in front of garages… and so it toes, errr… tows…

• DuckNCover says:

It’s possible the picture was taken at the beginning, when OP was walking from where he had to park. It’s also possible he photographed the note before they affixed it to the van.

• GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

Well why not photograph the note ON the van then, if you are in such a shutterbuggy mood.

• RvLeshrac says:

What the fuck does it matter where the note was? Who gives a shit? It could have been strapped to the MSL for all the bearing it has.

• Bob A Dobalina says:

It is ridiculous to think the Comcast techs could have a couple of beers and flirt with the waitress in less than an hour. Be real

Seriously, I would have been on the phone to the cops the instant I walked in the door

But props to Comcast for figuring out how to piss off people who aren’t even their customers

2. CalicoGal says:

That’s an awful lot of big words to expect to be comprehended by a Comcastic Tech who can’t even understand what a curb cut is for…

We need an update on the faces of the dudes when they came back to no truck…

• Jevia says:

Yeah, I would have written a short note saying “hey asshole, stop parking in front of my driveway or I will call the cops.”

• RvLeshrac says:

Dunno where you are, but parking anywhere but in a driveway is illegal here.

3. citking says:

They should do what anyone would do if it was any sort of vehicle or truck parked illegally – call the police. They’ll be happy to ticket and tow the vehicle(s). It just might not be the top priority at the time of the call if no one has a medical issue or the police are tied up at the moment.

• GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

From the article:

“They beat us to calling a tow truck on them…”

B/c they weren’t there long enough for even a company that solely makes it’s money off towing and fees to respond.

• maztec says:

I interpreted that as the HOA made the call first. Not that they returned to the vans on time.

• Almighty Peanut says:

Yeah. It’s hard to read what exactly he meant. Did the HOA beat him to calling the tow truck and they got towed, or were the techs out of there in an hour?

• RvLeshrac says:

Tow trucks take a minimum of ~30 minutes, unless you have a contract with them.

• GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

Also, can the police ticket a vehicle on private property? I think they’d advise you to call a towing company, and wouldn’t involve themselves.

• Difdi says:

This. Parking your car on someone else’s property without permission or blocking their access to their property with yours is a civil matter, not criminal (unless someone ends up dead due to the problem).

• Velvet Jones says:

No it is not. This is a summary offense in the majority of states. That said, it is usually up to the owners to get the vehicle towed.

• RvLeshrac says:

If you’re illegally parked in the street, it is a criminal offence.

• Anna Kossua says:

A couple years ago I got a warning ticket for parking my car in my front yard. They said it’s illegal to park in the grass. There was no HOA there; a cop happened to drive by and saw it. It wasn’t a junk car, either… the tags and registration were current, it wasn’t on blocks — everything was current.

• Velvet Jones says:

Yes they most certainly can. I know, I got such a ticket. Most states also make it a crime to block a entrance or right of way.

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

Were the trucks on private property? They appear to be on the street, not on the OP’s property. So unless it was a privately owned/maintained road rather than the municipality of [Redacted]‘s, then the police should have no trouble with ticketing and towing the vehicles.

• JJFIII says:

This does not appear to be private property. IN the driveway is private the street is public. A call to the local police would be required, since they would not likely tow an illegally parked car, UNLESS the police authorized it.

The simple solution would be to call the local Comcast office and tell them to move their fucking vans IMMEDIATELY, or you would call the police. It may take them a while to get there, but I would also send the picture to the Comcast corporate offices and let them know their agents had caused you problems and you expect to be compensated for it.

• scoosdad says:

Simple solution? If it’s like my cable company (Charter), the phone number for the truly ‘local’ office is a deep corporate secret and not listed anywhere or given out to customers under penalty of death. You’re usually stuck calling the national or regional 800 number and begging them to get in touch with someone local, right away. And most of the times they’ll refuse to do that for you.

• Kestris says:

Parking on the street is not considered private property in many states.

4. GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

Not sure how that is a picture of “Not one, but TWO Comcast trucks parked across the end of your driveway” but I would assume that truck #1, on the far right, was doing an install, and needed a quick hand or some inventory, like a cable box, that they didn’t have, but truck #2, which was in the area, did. The driver parked there for what they assumed was a quick drop off, but perhaps got stuck talking to the driver of Truck #1, or there was a complication that, delayed them for 10+ minutes.

If this isn’t proof that 2012 are the end times, I don’t know what is. TO MY BUNKER!

• RvLeshrac says:

The solution is to NOT BLOCK SOMEONE’S FUCKING DRIVEWAY. People have shit to do, like get to work.

5. Mr_Magoo says:

So he made the call to get the vans towed….Did that happen, or did the techs arrive in time to prevent that?

• GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

If they did, I would have expected a picture of the truck on the truck. As soon as a tow truck has you in the air, they don’t have to legally let you down.

6. maztec says:

I’m going to go out on a limb here, but . . .

TRADE KEYS WITH YOUR BROTHER AND LEND HIM YOUR CAR!

And leave a grumpy note.

• jjmcubed says:

Some insurance policy’s don’t allow this. Not that he wouldn’t trust his brother, but he shouldn’t trust every other driver out there.

• RvLeshrac says:

The person suggesting they trade keys would also be the first to say the guy is completely at fault on the article where his insurance company refuses to pay out after the Comcast van t-boned his brother.

7. shepd says:

It’d be more fun to block ‘em in… :)

8. kevinroyalty says:

i’ll see you in front of my driveway, and raise you a police call and a towtruck call. your move crapcast.

9. Hi_Hello says:

I think it should be legal for anyone to do whatever they want to any vehicle parked in someone’s driveway/garage.

If it is a life and death situation and they really need to park there, having a burnt down car isn’t a big deal.

10. Red Cat Linux says:

I totally understand hating Comcrap. I also would call a tow truck in a NY minute if some asshat were blocking my driveway for an install, and I could not find them.

However, the letter (though it may have made the guy feel better) will be 100% lost on the tech (we use that term loosely when referring to Comcast installers), who will wad it up, and for extra measure toss it on the brothers’ lawn. It’s full of educated word-rage that a Comtastic tech will not care about.

The worst thing of all though – It looks from this angle that there is enough space behind the truck, with some minor gymnastics, to get a car parked in the garage out. Get a car in the drive way out? Probably not. Doesn’t look like a lot of clearance for and aft for a car stuck in the driveway.

11. Hagetaka says:

I’m sure the tech saw the note, laughed about it, and crumpled it in the trash.

If this guy is so passive-aggressive that he has to write a funny note, leave it on the truck, take a picture, then post the whole thing to the internet, then he’s either too socially inept or too cowardly to simply find the technician and say “Excuse me, can you move your van, you’re blocking me in.”

Seriously. The tech is wrong for parking the guy in, but at some point “complain to the internet about it” has got to quit being people’s first and only choice of action. Quit being a nerd and ask the guy to move. It’s how human beings have handled problems for thousands of years- through social interactions- and it surprisingly still works. And if by chance he gives you attitude, then man, have you got an even better story to tell the internet!

• MarkFL says:

I honestly thought I was going to scroll through all the messages before I got to someone making this suggestion.

Thank you for restoring my tenuous belief that I am not the only person left with a modicum of common sense.

12. Chuft-Captain says:

Nothing low about it, the tech is parked illegally. Call the cops, ask them to send a tow truck for the offending van. Have it towed. Done.

There is a time for mercy and consideration. That time ends when the other party isn’t showing you any consideration to begin with.

• GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

Why call the cops. You don’t need to pester them for something a tow company can handle themselves.

• Chuft-Captain says:

Because as far as I am aware, a private tow company cannot just up and tow you for being parked across a driveway on an otherwise public street – it needs an officer to determine that the car is in violation as a cause for the tow.

• dcatz says:

In my town, all tows that are done in lieu of a “violators will be towed” sign need to be done with police supervision. You call the police and they determine if the vehicle is illegally parked. If the vehicle is illegally parked, then the police make a judgment call to either issue an “intent to tow notice”, giving the vehicle owner 24 hours to move to vehicle, or to tow it right away (in this case, most likely the latter because the vehicle was blocking a driveway).

• limericki says:

if a car i don’t recognize in in my (deeded & assigned) parking space, i’ll take the courtesy to ask my next door neighbor. other than that, the next thing i will hear is the clatter of the diesel engine ‘hookin it up’.

13. ArizonaGeek says:

I lived in a townhouse about 10 years ago for some reason my assigned parking spot always had someone else trying to park there so after my wife came home about midnight one night and had to park 3 blocks away, I called the HOA who said that it was my parking spot, I had paid for it and to call a tow truck. He referred me to the towing company contracted for the complex and every time I had someone park in my spot I had them towed. And it was expensive! Once the tow truck had you hooked, it was $50 just to unhook them if they towed the car, it was about $200 to get it back. Now mind you, this was a year after we kept telling our neighbors to have their guests park in a guest spot not ours. I have no sympathy. As for Comcast blocking a driveway, how dumb? I would have towed them!

• lyontaymer30 says:

I understand. I’m not paying for a spot I can’t park in. I usually ask once not to do it as a courtesy. After that, everybody’s getting towed. If someone is blocking me in and I have nowhere to go, no biggie. I let it be. But if I’m trying to move and they’ve blocked me in, illegally, I’ll ask first. Tow second.

14. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Yeah, call a tow truck, because tow truck operators simply can’t wait to tow without being told to do so by the vehicle owner, especially in places that aren’t posted private property parking lots with the tow operator’s number on a big sign. And the cops – well, there’s a bunch of guys who won’t hesitate to give the tow truck guys the green light in a pinch.

/s

• Velvet Jones says:

I don’t know where you live, but highly aggressive and often border-line legal tow operators are a MAJOR problem in a lot of cities. There are lots where these guys hang out and will tow the vehicle as soon as the person leaves their car. I can guarantee they would race to the scene if a call came in to tow a vehicle. It is easy money for them.

15. El_Fez says:

An hour? Hell, I would have been calling the Meter Maid as soon as I put my bag down inside. The hour that it takes them to respond is more than enough time for them to get out of the way. If not, hey – ticket and tow will look great on your work record Mr Comcast!

• GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

Parking tickets appear on your “work record”?

• MarkFL says:

Didn’t they tell you in elementary school that everything shows up on your permanent record?

• Coleoptera Girl says:

I’d agree with you, except that the car being towed is a Comcast truck. That’s something that’s likely to haunt you for a while.

• El_Fez says:

You’re saying that getting the company van impounded will not be a blemish when raise time rolls around?

• GitEmSteveDaveHatesChange says:

Perhaps a speeding or moving violation, but I doubt a simple parking ticket is listed on your record, as they would have to track down who was using what vehicle on what date via the plate number on the van, and that also assumes that the vehicles are registered to the office they are dispatched from, and your local manager/district manager gets the violations in the mail. I would assume they are registered/insured from a central office in each state and that office handles all the paper work.

• camman68 says:

As an Operations Manager, HR Manager and Safety Manager for transportation companies, I can assure you that if you get any type of ticket or fine while driving a vehicle that my company owns, (moving violation or otherwise) it will definitely appear on your work record…and your safety record.

16. Applekid says:

Ocyober is on a different year numbering convention. We’re still on Smarch 2007.

17. crispyduck13 says:

I read all the way through to the end thinking maybe my initial opinion of the OP would change.

Nope, still ‘whining douchebag.’

• longfeltwant says:

I sort of agree with this. If I were him, I would have simply phoned the tow company, waited for the towtruck to make sure everything went well, and then pulled into my driveway. I would have even tipped the tow man, because I would be so thrilled to take pictures of the van being pulled away.

Then, and only then, is the story worthy of the internet.

• AzCatz07 says:

My feeling is the same. Why didn’t he call Comcast to complain, or let his relative use his vehicle, or find out where the techs were working and ask them to move the van(s), or any of the other things someone with connected brain cells would do?

Between this one and the genius who sat through the entire Ted movie while a kid who shouldn’t have been there ruined it for her bring the passive-aggression levels pretty high today.

18. Peggee has pearls and will clutch them when cashiers ask "YOU GOT A WIC CHECK MA'AM?" says:

Nothing wrong with calling a tow truck. My car broke down one day in front of a driveway and I got out and pushed it so it was in front of a grass strip. This is just downright assholish.

I’ve had this happen a couple of times. Once our neighbors were having a yard sale and someone blocked our driveway like a jerk. I had to leave for work, so I drove as far as I could and leaned on the horn until they came and moved their vehicle. Did the same thing to a utility truck who bypassed a ton of viable parking spots in favor of blocking my driveway so he could work on the house two doors down. Within 30 seconds he was flying out of the neighbor’s house and moving that truck.

19. T. Bone says:

Com Crap sucks!

20. conspiracyae says:

Whoa, thanks for the post Laura!

Just to clear up the confusion, the tech did make it back to the truck before we made a call to the HOA. We placed the note on the truck and then were fortunate enough to catch him returning maybe a half hour or so later, watched the tech read it in his driver seat, light up a cigarette, have a good laugh, and drive away.

There was no way to ask him to move, as someone suggested, simply because we had no idea where the technician was. Whining on the Internet while we considered calling a tow truck seemed like the next best thing. ;)

We took a picture of the note because we’ve had a litany of issues with Comcast and thought those familiar with our woes would appreciate reading it- the picture of the truck was taken before it was delivered. In fact, we were happy the tech got a laugh out of it too, we’re of the opinion most people that work for Comcast know how terrible they are, so something like this probably wasn’t too out of the ordinary for him.

21. longfeltwant says:

If you are parking a Comcast truck, you are a Comcast employee. I don’t care how your megacorp employer structures its payroll, you are a Comcast employee representing Comcast.

22. Weekilter says:

I don’t see what the problem is here. The trucks are obviously illegally parked. Just call a towing company and have them removed. It’s Kabletown’s hard luck that the vehicles were towed and impounded. Perhaps in a future time Kabletown will think carefully before they block someone’s private driveway.

23. Kuri says:

I really hope Comcast doesn’t try this shit where I live.

24. bonzombiekitty says:

What’s with all this “call the cops and have them towed” stuff? Apparently there was plenty of other parking spots near by, and there doesn’t seem to be too many houses nearby. So, the technicians are probably in one of a couple houses.

Wouldn’t the fastest and most effect means of fixing your problem be to knock on a couple neighbor’s doors and see if the technicians are there, and if so, ask them to move the truck? Seems to me that would be faster than calling a tow truck, etc.

25. MarkFL says:

I live in a large apartment complex. The dumpster is right at the entrance of the branch of the driveway I live on. One day I got in my car to go to work as the garbage truck came to collect the trash. OK, the guy is doing his job, I can wait for him to empty the dumpster. Then apparently he got some tree branches stuck in the forks that grab the dumpster. I waited patiently for the driver to remove the branches, then he emptied the dumpster.

Then he got back in the truck…and just sat there. So I got out of the car, walked up to his window and asked him if he could move. He just sat there staring straight ahead. Asked him again, then again. Then I started yelling, “EXCUSE ME!” Finally, he turned his head, looked me straight in the eye, and then turned away again.

That’s when I got his tag number and called Waste Management. I wasn’t going to call the police because I figured he’d be gone by the time they came, and I didn’t think a tow company could deal with it, especially since it’s a huge garbage truck. But after the phone call, he had left.

26. Cream Of Meat says:

Seems pretty passive aggressive.

What about knocking on your neighbors doors and finding the comcast guys?

We have a large gravel parking spot in front of the house, enough for 5 cars, we don’t mind neighbors parking their as long as they leave enough spots for us. During parties they have guests that don’t know our cars and they park without knowing the deal. When that happens I just go knock on their door and have them move.

Also, my gf used to live in some very busy apartments where there was never any parking and we’ve had to walk four blocks some times in not so great neighborhoods. If we were moving something big like furniture or camping gear and needed to use someone else’s parking spot or the fire lane right in front of the unit it seemed very normal that we would hear a honk and we would go move our vehicle ASAP. Seemed like the norm, and no one ever got towed and we were always polite to whoever honked.

I still hate comcast, so your note made me laugh.

27. Symphonie says:

SERIOUSLY?? Thankfully we have the Consumerist blog to keep us informed of such troubling consumer issues. Just because the truck says Comcast, you cover a pic and letter from an adolescent reader who could have just taken the car over the grass to get around the van.

28. Robert Nagel says:

Machinists use a small tool to mark metal at an exact point. The point retracts into the tool for a short distance and then a spring releases, impacts the inside end of the point and marks the metal. When pressed against glass it immediately shatters the glass with hardly any movement on your part. Anybody looking wouldn’t see anything unless they were behind you.
    Therefore, never do this. Ever.

29. oldwiz65 says:

Perhaps they should have quietly let the air out of the truck’s tires? I’ve had people block my driveway, called the police, and the car got towed.

• NickRayko says:

It’s also very quick & easy to clip off the valve stem from a tire. Not that I would ever recommend doing such a thing.

• polishhillbilly says:

your expect comcast idiots to have skill to handle a blown out tire? they can barely install co-ax cable correctly.

30. Kestris says:

I one left a post it note on the driver’s side window of a car that parked in my driveway, dead center, so no one could pull in (two vehicles fit side by side). It said in part, that if the car wasn’t moved immediately, it would be towed at their expense, seeing that they did not seek permission to park there in the first place.

5 minutes later, it was gone.

I know someone who routinely has vehicles that block his driveway towed, up in Philly, Pa. There are street signs that say not to block driveways, but people do it anyway. So he has them towed when his drive is blocked.

31. icerabbit says:

Big deal about nothing, and thumbs down for consumerist to highlight their childish attitude.

For all we know, the second truck was there for a total of ten minutes. Just enough to walk in, call the HOA people and write a letter.

I have a fair amount of experience not being able to get in and out of my driveway in town, especially during winter time, when there is no street side parking due to all the snow. I deal with this several times a year. Yes, it can be frustrating to not be able to get out of your own driveway, or street, but getting yourself all worked up is only bad for your health and accomplishes nothing. Unless there is a medical emergency, you shouldn’t have to leave for anything without a few minutes to spare.

So, just act like a real man, go knock on the neighbor’s door or another house over and ask if comcast is there and if the tech could please move his truck. He’ll apologize and you are on your way. Contractors and delivery guys frequently have to park briefly where it is safe and practical while there simply is no place to park more properly / legally. I’m not saying it is fair, bla bla … I’m just understanding it from both sides.

I’d wager that the first trick (half pictured) arrived to the location and parked properly in front of the green space between two properties. A second guy was called in for something, whether a part or help with an issue and parked behind the first truck, assuming it was just going to be for a couple minutes in/out. No biggie. Unfortunately without pulling up tightly to the first truck and thereby hindering access in/out of the OP’s brother’s driveway. If he’d pulled up an extra few feet (as I would have done) I’m sure a car could get in/out.

As to the OP’s comment about the contractors having to park outside the area. Maybe he should try it when there’s tools, supplies, likely ladders etc and possibly multiple trips to a truck involved – and – you have supervisors counting every minute you spend on an install, and several other waiting customers. Yes, you can drop stuff off in front of a condo building, house whatever and then seek parking elsewhere – been there done that – but for a tiny thing, if that takes several times more time than just getting in and out of the door and verifying something … what would you do?

• shepd says:

No, if you need to park illegally, you park where you don’t block people in. Park in a no stopping zone on a 4 lane road and get your ticket like you deserve. Park on the lawn! That picture shows PLENTY of that.

The one who isn’t “manly” is the man who parked in front of the driveway. Period. No exceptions–UNLESS he died in that van.

And I worked with tools for a living. I installed satellite dishes. I know it’s a pain in the arse to respect people. But I did it. Because I’m not an asshole.

• icerabbit says:

I completely agree with you that it is inconsiderate to block people in, shouldn’t be done, that illegal parking deserves a ticket, that some people should be taught a lesson by getting towed etc.

I literally go out of my way 100% to park legally and am one of the most considerate people on the road (unlike a lot of jerks who we all hate to share the road with) I didn’t even like to park in front of my neighbor’s house when I lived in town when somebody had parked in front of my house.

I just know that sometimes parking is extremely difficult and work needs to get done. I’ve dropped stuff off and gone parking somewhere else plenty of times. The other thing is that I semi-frequently have this big trailer in tow and then typically need to do a fair amount of loading / unloading. At one particular town property I sometimes cannot access the property because parked vehicles prohibit me from backing into the property with trailer & vehicle on this narrow street. So, you have legally parked vehicles blocking my access in/out. What am I going to do? I’m going to park where I can, either double park or parking on the side that I shouldn’t legally park, without blocking traffic or I have to stop in front of another neighbor’s house, which may involve blocking the driveway partially due to the length of the rig compared to the narrow lots; in which case I will alert the neighbor to the situation and ask if he/she would mind, needs to get in/out within a few minutes, that I will actively unload xyz for the next n minutes and be on my way.

Not long ago there was an issue with a heating crew, similar to the story above, where there were extra vehicles. Old parts & new parts everywhere in a driveway, so they were putting their trucks everywhere they could as close to the job. Inconsiderate to be sure, but I’m not going to get all in a tizzy and write a silly letter and post a story on the internet. That’s just childish and accomplishes nothing. Some people are just less considerate to downright a’holes when it comes to parking – like some of the contractors who always park in the covered loading zone at home depot & lowes like that’s their reserved parking area.

So, we’ll say that real men don’t park inconsiderately nilly-willy anywhere without respect for the law and others; and that real men don’t behave childishly when a parking issue causes trouble for them.

32. Moo Strength says:

Parking in front of anyone’s driveway, for whatever the reason is unacceptable, if not illegal. It doesn’t matter if they are parked there for 4 minutes, or 4 hours. It’s no different then having some yahoo park in front of a fire hydrant, or next to a curb that prohibits parking. Parking police don’t have any gray area to grant a parked car a free pass, and so this particular Comcast employee shouldn’t expect one here either.

Several years ago, late at night, a neighbor of my parents in the very back part of their court experienced a rash of teenage party-goers while the kids parents were on vacation in Aruba. After finally deciding enough was enough when several kids decided to park their cars not only in front of my parents driveway, but actually parked in my parents front yard (which in the morning left obvious damaged marks from the people who accelerated too hard upon leaving several hours after the party concluded), my father decided for the best revenge. Instead of calling the cops for such a trivial matter, instead my father removed all the cars license plates.

• Moo Strength says:

sorry, Consumerist needs an edit button lol. I should have had the word casein the part: …..and so in this particular CASE Comcast employee…. my apologies for the dyslexia.

• limericki says:

+1 for thinking outside the box, err.. frame… err.. plate.