Apple Hates Your Kitten Videos, No Longer Pre-Installing YouTube On iOS Devices

When the next versions of Apple’s iPhone and iPad devices hit customers’ hands this fall, they will come without the YouTube app that was one of the initial big marketing points of original iPhone back in 2007.

Since then Apple and YouTube owner Google have been engaged in a bloody battle for smartphone users for their respective smartphone and tablet operating systems.

“We are working with Apple to ensure we have the best possible YouTube experience for iOS users,” a Google rep tells the Wall Street Journal.

Comments

1. HeadsOnPikes says:

I imagine that but for antitrust laws, Google would abandon the iOS market.

• iheijoushin says:

Doubtful. They make four times the money from iOS than they do from their own Android platform (http://gizmodo.com/5897457/google-makes-four-times-more-money-from-ios-than-android).

This is likely as much about Google wanting to serve up ads alongside the video as it is about their souring relationship. Anyone want to take bets that one of the “enhancements” Google will give us will be ads?

• Captain Spock says:

I don’t think there is anything in antitrust laws that say you have to develop for every market. I have games that don’t run on my Mac and vice versa. I think that google cannot afford to ignore almost 25% of the smartphone market being a public company with shareholders and all.

• Cerne says:

Exactly right on both counts. Not to mention that Apple users tend to be richer and spend more on apps.

• Biokinetica says:

Not sure about “richer”, just more liberal with their money. Many Android users are from the open source, free software and hacking crowds, so the culture is different. We just don’t see the need to pay for apps when free or even open source alternatives are available, and that outlook carried over to the android market. Apple users generally don’t see the problem with companies making money off the apps themselves. Android users would prefer the end user pay nothing and use alternative business models to generate their cash. The most successful companies in the play store are those who were gunning for corporate contracts or an acquisition by another company.

2. MutantMonkey says:

It would be really nice if you could get a phone with nothing but the base OS installed so that you can decide what software actually goes on your phone.

• TuxthePenguin says:

Too bad no one has decided to try and force a Microsoft-like settlement onto Apple or Google. If you want something like that, you have to go with a Windows Phone… and pray that the manufactured doesn’t stuff it.

• wombats lives in [redacted] says:

The other option is rooting your device.

• TuxthePenguin says:

Yeah, but that sort of option didn’t save Microsoft in their anti-trust case. To install something other than IE was no more difficult than installing any other program.

• MutantMonkey says:

Also, that hamster ball is disgusting. I have seen porta potties at Bonnaroo on day 3 that were cleaner than that thing.

• Pre-Existing Condition says:

I don’t care about stuff being pre-installed but I hate that I can’t delete apps like Blockbuster and AT&T Navigator from my phone, without rooting it.

• AtlantaCPA says:

Even on my dumbphone I can’t delete certain contacts that they pre-loaded: twitter, facebook, flikr, etc. So annoying.

• regis-s says:

I wonder what the phones would cost then? The justification for installing all this stuff is the companies pay the manufacturer and it reduces the price of the phone/computer for the consumer.

This has got to be one of the few times consumers supposedly get more features and it costs them less.

3. dush says:

Cats sure are dumb. These videos prove it.

4. az123 says:

This does not seem like a brilliant marketing ploy by apple, all Youtube needs to do is go and not introduce an iOS app and then well what was once a major selling feature on the phone no longer exists. If they are not shooting themselves in the foot they are making a good attempt to do so

• terrillja says:

I think you’re missing the whole point that iOS devices can still play youtube videos, they just don’t play in a separate app that you can’t delete. This sounds like a step forward for me, it’s annoying to keep switching between youtube and safari as the youtube app search is terrible and safari is much easier to use for finding videos.

5. YouDidWhatNow? says:

“So rather than get the Apple YouTube app you’ve grown to know and love, you’ll have to go to the Apple App Store to download — presumably for free — a version being cooked up directly by YouTube.”

Or, you know, just go to http://www.youtube.com in your browser.

It entertains me to no end that people think they “can’t do X” without an app. Like Facebook for example. Ohs noes I lost my FB app! How will I tell people that my precious widdle puppy made a poopy? Um…open your browser and go to http://www.facebook.com. You twit.

Kind of like people who find themselves locked out of their cars when the battery in their key fob dies. ZOMG how will I get into my car nao?! *sob*

• nishioka says:

I like how your entire post is based around the fact that you ignored the last line in the article:

> Even those who don’t download the app will still be able to look at YouTube clips within the iOS Safari browser.

Nobody is freaking out about the loss of an app here. It’s noteworthy because something that had been included in iOS since day one, that a lot of folks don’t like because it’s feature-poor, is going away. That’s all.

6. hikari07 says:

That headline is rather misleading… they’re doing it because the app sucks. Not because people love it and apple is spiteful.

• NotEd says:

That’s what I’ve been reading as well. Having barely used the app on my wife’s iPhone I really couldn’t say.
      Besides, there is nothing keeping Google from developing a newer, better YouTube app that iOS users could download by choice, rather than coming on their phone preinstalled.

7. Press1forDialTone says:

Google: Don’t Be Evil
    Apple: Let’s Be Evil
    Microsoft: God I Wish Bill Were Here To Tell Us How To Be Something Again

8. Mr_Magoo says:

There’s a good explanation for this on Cnet.

- Apple and Google were locked into a 5 year contract which said that Apple would include Youtube as one of the base iOS apps.
    - Apple, not Google, was responsible for the coding of the app
    - Google did not like the way the Apple-coded Youtube app looked and performed, but couldn’t do anything about it.
    - Apple didn’t like having to include an app that linked to its biggest competitor’s content.

Now that the contract has expired, if an iOS users wants the Youtube app, it will come from Google and look the way Google wants it to. Or a user can just use Apple’s browser to go to Youtube.

Both Apple and Google are happier this way.

• longfeltwant says:

Yep. Everybody is happy except the users.

• Cerne says:

Except this only helps users. Having to download an app is hardly a horrendous task, it takes what 3 steps and less than 5 minutes?

This is a minor inconvenience for those who want the youtube app, and for those who don’t their phone has less bloatware.

• Veeber says:

Really? That app was horrible. The browser version was significantly better. I just bookmark the site as an app icon to make it easier to get to, but the functionality was way better than the Apple written Youtube App.

9. do-it-myself says:

I was always confused by the different YouTube Icon Apple uses for the YT app. Looking like an old TV, versus the actual YT logo…