Christmas Creep In July Emerges At Warehouse Clubs

Sure, it’s not glittery Christmas trees or holly-laden wreaths, but two readers shopping in warehouse clubs were still surprised to see the earliest signs of Christmas creep. At Sam’s Club and a Costco in greater Washington, D.C., the festive holiday ribbons have started to appear.

Jerrod spotted this ribbon at Costco:

Len saw these ribbons at Sam’s Club:

These are our earliest true Christmas Creep sightings to date. Readers have submitted photos from craft stores and from Hallmark, but these don’t count. Craft stores begin to stock supplies for Christmas crafts so crafters can begin their red and green monstrosities early. Hallmark, meanwhile, has introduced their Christmas ornament collection in midsummer for their loyal collectors for years now.

Comments

1. Marlin says:

WHAT!!! Why the hate consumerist???
    HAS THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS ALREADY BEGUN???

/bill oreilly/fox/etc…

2. Velifer says:

Some may defend this as craft supplies, saying that people might need a few extra months to make something special for th ones they love come Christmas time.

But they are the people you don’t want gifts from.

3. Jacquilynne says:

Some year, Consumerist is going to remember that Warehouse clubs supply small businesses, who need to prepare for the Christmas shopping season before the Christmas shopping season.

But apparently not this year.

• DarrenO says:

Thank you! We were both posting the same message at the same time!

• StarKillerX says:

Excellent point.

• cactus jack says:

Yep. Warehouse clubs aren’t just for the gray hairs.

• Duffin (Ain't This Kitty Cute?) says:

Oh, please inform me about consumers who need Christmas ribbon in the middle of summer.

• Duffin (Ain't This Kitty Cute?) says:

I misread that comment, so please disregard. Consumerist, damn it, every other site lets you edit or delete comments. Y not u?!

• cactus jack says:

It’s not unreasonable for a business to prepare 3 months ahead of time (Aug, Sept, Oct, sell Nov/Dec).

If your business revolves around Christmas (Nov/Dec) I don’t see this as unreasonable at all. Unless you still believe in Santa, then his elves manufactured, prepared, and wrapped all of those fancy gift boxes.

• poco says:

True. That’s probably why he immediately posted to ignore his comment, which you’ve chosen not to do.

• suezahn says:

They do if they MAKE decorations and wish to have them completed in time for the holidays.

4. DarrenO says:

Every year the same story here on the Consumerist. Is it really THAT hard to understand for the Consumerist writers that warehouse clubs supply items to businesses that might actually need some time to use Christmas wrapping supplies for their products? Does the Consumerist really think businesses shouldn’t be prepared and, you know, do some prep work in the weeks and months leading to Christmas? It’s a tired non-story, please next year can we skip it??

5. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

It’s worse than you think – this is actually the Christmas 2013 merchandise!

6. umbriago says:

I don’t know, although I didn’t notice the ribbons and such, I did notice that the toys are already out at my local Costco, and to me, that’s a sure sign of The Christmas Frenzy.

But usually, Christmas starts when the lights and trees go up in mid-September. I don’t really “do” Christmas, so I tend not to get worked up over it….like some folks.

7. suezahn says:

To be fair, if you’re a person who does crafts and you’re planning on either creating decorations or gifts, now is when you’d be buying this sort of thing to begin making those creations. I wouldn’t sent out the alert just yet.

8. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I don’t mind the Christmas Creep so much when it’s just products appearing here and there. As a previous poster said, the warehouse clubs provide for small businesses…so that’s necessary.

What I DO mind is when they start playing wall to wall Christmas music waaayyyy before November. Because by the time December rolls around, I absolutely want to stab someone if I have to hear “Holly Jolly Christmas” one more time.

9. SerenityDan says:

Screw it, just set up a permanent “Holiday” section on all the stores and be done with it.

10. HenryES says:

This is nothing new, Costco basically has two seasons, summer and Christmas. As soon as Christmas is over, they’ll start stocking fertilizer.

11. El_Fez says:

Meh – Costco always has next season’s stuff out really early. The summer wading pools always show up around the end of January. . . .

12. HogwartsProfessor says:

One of my online friends posted a pic she took at Walgreens of Halloween candy. It’s Halloween Creep!!

13. strouthesm1 says:

I personally have made it a habit to turn around and walk out of a store if I hear Christmas music before Thanksgiving. I save money, too!

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

This depends on which side of the US/Canada border you live on. If on the Canadian side, I hear you full well. On the US side? Face facts, the “holiday” season to a retailer begins about the moment kids dive into their Halloween candy.

• PercussionQueen7 says:

In my memory, it’s before that. Christmas goes out before my birthday (mid-october).

14. JF says:

Costco sells to businesses as well as individuals. Some businesses (off the top of my head, a mom who makes holiday hair bows) need this type of product this early to produce their holiday merchandise……

Just because you don’t need it doesn’t mean that there aren’t reasonable reasons for early holiday stuff.

15. zippy says:

Oh FFS, ribbon is craft stuff, if you’re going to exempt craft stores, why not craft stuff in other stores too?

16. movalca says:

OK, to all who think small business’s buy their christmas ribbons from sam’s club and costco.
    If a small business cannot find a cheaper place to buy ribbons and christmas stuff, they deserve to overpay.

17. MarkFL says:

I can’t be the only person who has heard of “Christmas in July” (said the Jewish guy). It’s even a Wikipedia entry:

That stuff will go away soon, if it hasn’t already. In fact, it’s actually late.

• muceybbds says:

Yeah, the problem with that is that in some stores (Michaels), they get a whole “Christmas in July” aisle, but when that comes down, up goes the actual Christmas stuff. So, Christmas starts in August.