Amazon Launches Video Streaming App For iPad

While Amazon’s Kindle Fire was initially touted as a low-price iPad competitor for customers who primarily wanted a tablet for reading books and watching video. But today it became obvious that Amazon is not being selfish about its video content, releasing an app that allows iPad users to watch, purchase, stream and download titles from its Instant Video collection.

The move echoes Amazon’s previous tactics for its Kindle e-readers, by not limiting customers to Amazon’s proprietary devices. And just like Kindle books, the company’s sync system means you can pause a video on one device and pick it up at the same position when you switch to a different device.

Since launching the Instant Video offerings, Amazon has pushed it as a bonus to customers who sign up for Amazon Prime service, and the iPad app may draw even more customers to sign up for Prime. Those who pay that annual premium get access to a library of around 20,000 streaming titles at no additional charge. However, it should be noted that Prime titles are not downloadable, so customers with WiFi-only iPads would not have access to the library when they are not connected to the Internet.

Comments

1. Lyn Torden says:

I’m waiting for the Android version.

2. HenryES says:

If this works with AirPlay, that would be awesome.

• icerabbit says:

The AirPlay button is there but unfortunately I’m only streaming sound via AirPlay? Video remains on the iPad?

This is going from iPad3 to AppleTv3. Others are reporting the same issue.

3. Platypi {Redacted} says:

Watching Dead Like Me streaming right now next to my laptop. I already used it on Roku, but now I can watch wherever I am!

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Awesome show! Terrible movie.

• PunditGuy says:

Definitely had its problems, but I was so tickled to see (most of) the cast again that I forgave a large chunk of it.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

Watching the show now, haven’t seen the movie. May have to skip it if it sucks.

• Chuft-Captain says:

Georgia Lass, my favorite TV “young female” ever. Gorgeous, smart, sweet, and has a sarcastic streak a mile wide. If Ellen Muth is anything like the character, I’d marry her in a heartbeat.

4. zigziggityzoo says:

Thanks for linking to the app, so we can all try it out! Oh wait.

• HeadsOnPikes says:

Gosh, how will you ever figure out where to find an iPad app?

• zigziggityzoo says:

Considering it’s not hard to leave an iTunes link, and if they were smart, they could become an iTunes affiliate and link to apps for a cut of the proceeds, they’re not being very smart here.

Why is it so hard to add a link to the post?

• meltingcube says:

There’s an affiliate payout for a free iPad app? It really isn’t hard to just open the iPad and search for the app…

• Kingsley says:

Because they want you to go through their site, logged in as a Prime member, to get the app and the site synchronized and validated with your devices.

I recall a story here recently about a glitch:
          Seamless Apple TV/Netflix Integration Comes With A Catch
          By Laura Northrup on July 19, 2012 8:40 AM

Amazon is pretty good about avoiding this sort of thing.

5. greatgoogly says:

I think we could be waiting a while for the Android version. The absolute last thing Amazon wants to do is help out a device like the Nexus 7 that is currently eating the Kindle Fire’s lunch.

6. Quake 'n' Shake says:

Damn…
    Now my wife is going to “borrow” my iPad.,

7. jcoltrane says:

Where is the iphone version?

C’mon, Amazon. Make it universal!

8. Jchamberlain says:

What, no search capability or am I missing something? This is like starting all over with Netflix.

9. rickduva says:

Would be great if it didn’t say cannot play on this device (new iPad). Emailed them and was told jailbreak devices don’t work. Wtf?

10. pythonspam says:

How dare they try and fuzzy the line between hardware providers, content providers, and throughput providers!
    It’s almost like Amazon doesn’t agree with the vision of Apple (and Comcast, for that matter) where if you buy any product, you are married to that company for life.