Journalist’s Twitter Account Suspended For Sharing NBC Executive’s E-Mail Address

As we mentioned on Saturday, NBC is taking a lot of heat in the social media sphere for its refusal to air marquee events like swimming or gymnastics until its prime time broadcasts. Now one UK journalist’s attempts to get some sort of response from NBC’s many, many, many Twitter pages has led to his Twitter account being suspended.

Before his account was suspended, Guy Adams, L.A. Bureau Chief for The Independent fired off a host of criticisms, questions and zingers about the opening ceremonies. You can still see them on Topsy.com but here are a few choice cuts:

*Am I alone in wondering why NBColympics think its acceptable to pretend this road race is being broadcast live?

*According to NBC’s commentary team, the Surrey countryside is full of “chateaus”

*Matt Lauer: “Madagascar, a location indelibly associated with a couple of recent animated movies.” #tosspot

*America’s left coast forced to watch Olympic ceremony on SIX HOUR time delay. Disgusting money-grabbing by @NBColympics

And one of our favorites, in response to @NBColympics Tweet letting everyone know that “Muhammad Ali is one of the flag bearers,” Adams replied, “If only someone had invented a technology to help us actually see this. Oh, wait…”

But apparently it was the Tweeting of the e-mail address of an NBC executive Adams claims is responsible for the tape delay decision that got the writer’s account suspended.

“Your account has been suspended for posting an individual’s private information such as private email address, physical address, telephone number, or financial documents,” a support rep explained to Adams via e-mail.

To which he replied, in part:

I’m of course happy to abide by Twitter’s rules, now and forever. But I don’t see how I broke them in this case: I didn’t publish a private email address. Just a corporate one, which is widely available to anyone with access to Google, and is identical to one that all of the tens of thousands of NBC Universal employees share.

It’s no more “private” than the address I’m emailing you from right now.

Either way, quite worrying that NBC, whose parent company are an Olympic sponsor, are apparently trying (and, in this case, succeeding) in shutting down the Twitter accounts of journliasts who are critical of their Olympic coverage.

Am I to presume, for example, that they decided to complain about me because of my recent article in the Indy’s news page about their various failures?

This apparently did not work to get his account un-suspended. As of this writing, Adams’ page was still on forced hiatus.

Back in January, I used the Consumerist Twitter account to share then-Best Buy CEO Brian “Git r” Dunn’s e-mail address when he voluntarily announced it during a talk at the Consumer Electronics Show. Last I checked, we were never punished for doing so.

NBC’s No. 1 Tweeting Critic Has Been Suspended From Twitter [Deadspin.com]

Comments

1. DaveInBillsburg says:

Wow – can’t believe NBC would have that much power over Twitter. Black eye for them for bowing to the Peacock’s pressure.

• Not Given says:

Probably they clicked the report button and complained they were being spammed.

• DaveInBillsburg says:

There is an update to the Deadspin article that shows the rule about posting private and confidential information is not allowed. The policy page only reads:

“If someone requests you remove information that you posted about them, please respect their privacy and consider taking it down”

Unless Gary Zenkel asked him to take the post down it this policy doesn’t seem to apply

Via – Felix Salmon’s Tumblr page.

• elvisaintdead says:

Let’s not forget NBC’s eeeeevil overlords, Kabletown were most likely pulling the strings on that one. FU, comcast.

2. HeyThereKiller says:

So I guess that means that Twitter should retroactively suspend Justin Bieber’s account for tweeting that kid’s phone number that one time.

3. lyontaymer30 says:

Talk about a spanking, they thought he was getting too cute

4. Cat says:

There’s more than one way to skin a Cat, so to speak. NBC has locked down their coverage in the USA, but there are other countries on this planet with broadcast rights to the Olympics.

Google “roku olympics”

5. jvanbrecht says:

Meh.. The biggest annoyance about the damn Olympics.. is that none of the other channels are broadcasting any new content, have to live with reruns….

While I am sure the Olympics are riveting, I could care less about watching it on TV.. in real life maybe.. but not TV..

6. DaveInBillsburg says:

Or it could be because of this:

From: http://deadspin.com/5930153/nbcs-no-1-tweeting-critic-has-been-suspended-from-twitter

“Twitter’s Olympics hub, part of a partnership between the San Francisco company and Comcast Corp.’s CMCSA +0.05% NBCUniversal that will be announced as early as Monday, is one of the first times Twitter will serve as an official narrator for a live event. NBC will tout the website with on-air promotions and links to athlete interviews or video clips.”

7. dcatz says:

There are plenty of proxies that will allow you to watch the Olympics on the BBC’s site.

8. Portlandia says:

NBC’s coverage of the olympics has been deplorable. I DVRed the opening ceremonies and watched them after and Viera and Lauer’s commentary was moronic, at times insensitive and a complete non-value added experience.

At one point I had to mute it because of their inane prattle. Seriously, shut the fuck up and let me listen to the music.

• tlvx says:

Deplorable is right on point. I watched the BBC version of the Opening Ceremony live, although it was on a site with low res video… which takes a bit away from such an otherwise beautiful spectacle. The fact that I would rather watch it live- in any quality- than in HD- several hours later, should mean something to NBC.

There is absolutely no legitimate excuse for NBC to fail to broadcast Olympic events live, especially considering that they have been made up of volunteer workers, and volunteer talent. People that cannot watch during the day will simply watch the replay, unless of course they have been put off by the particular results of an advance spoiler.

It’s really unconscionable, in this day and age, to deliberately withhold live coverage, when news reports of results are published long before the unnecessarily delayed, and totally incoherent NBC coverage.

Furthermore, I will never forgive NBC for this.

9. Pete the Geek says:

This looks very bad for Twitter and NBC. The email address that the journalist tweeted was NOT personal or private.

• HomerSimpson says:

The iron fist of Comcast will be sending you a nasty letter soon enough (along with everyone who “dared” to complain)

10. Actionable Mango says:

“*I have 1000 channels on my TV. Not one will be showing the Olympics opening ceremony live. Because NBC are utter, utter bastards.”

NBC is to blame for not showing the Olympics live on NBC. As for the other 999 channels, the Olympics are to blame for selling exclusive rights, not NBC.

11. Expat says: