Don’t Try To Sell Your Target Gift Card For Cash Inside The Store

When Heather tried to sell her son’s old crib, she learned that it had been recalled and contacted the retailer, Target, to find out how to get a refund. She was told that if she brought the crib to a Target store, she would receive a refund on the spot. What she wasn’t told is that the refund would be in the form of a Target gift card. With the nearest store an hour away, she doesn’t visit regularly and has no use for a gift card. She’s on a tight budget and has more use for cash. She tried to find a fellow customer to buy it from her until store management asked her to stop. From their point of view, she brought in a recalled item without understanding Target’s policies, and was soliciting customers inside the store, attempting to sell her gift card for cash.

She writes:

I live 60 miles away from my nearest Target store, and am a single mom on a very limited income. I was selling my son’s convertible crib in the paper and discovered that it had been recalled. My Mother had purchased the crib at Target in early 2007, so I called them up to find out what I needed to do.

So I made the trip and returned the recalled crib. When I went to the counter to get my refund, I was told that I could only get a gift card to the store. I haven’t shopped at Target since gas has skyrocketed and I can no longer afford to make the 120 mile round trip! I tried to explain this to them, that I was under the impression that I would be able to get cash and when I didn’t know the girl’s name, to whom I had spoken, they accused me of being a liar.

Well, I believe there is always a way so, I decided that maybe I could find someone who would be willing to trade my $260 card for $200. I approached a handful of people and had little luck. Then, the managers came out and told me that I had to stop, kept insisting there was nothing they could do, kept telling me that I was a liar, had me in tears and did not care AT ALL that I WAS one of their customers. All they had to say was that I was disrupting their customers. I won’t ever go in that store again… Worst. Experience. Ever.

It would make more sense to find a friend or relative to take the gift card, or to sell it on a reputable gift card exchange site. Target’s recall exchange policy isn’t surprising considering their ironclad return policy, and it’s too bad that Heather had to be stuck this way.

Comments

1. Captain Spock says:

i would buy a 260 dollar card for 200… but Laura is right, a reputable gift card exchange site is the way to go,.

2. Blueskylaw says:

“kept telling me that I was a liar”

A liar about what?

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Either by claiming she has to drive 120 miles round-trip, or that she did not know the name of the girl she had spoken to prior to driving to Target. At least that’s what I think.

3. scoutermac says:

Target.com states otherwise.

“q: if I purchased a recalled product from Target Stores or Target.com, can I return the product to the store and receive a refund or store credit?
    A: Guests who wish to return recalled product to a Target Store or through Target.com will be accommodated with a refund. A receipt or proof of purchase is not necessary to return a recalled product. There may be some exceptions to this policy.”

– Source:

• oloranya says:

That doesn’t say anything about it being a cash refund.

• George4478 says:

Store credit, in the form of a Target gift card, is not a refund.

• scoutermac says:

It states refund or store credit. Read between the lines.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

That implies that ‘refund’ and ‘store credit’ are two different things. When it goes on to say “will be accommodated with a refund.” it certainly is NOT a store credit since that is a completely different thing. Handing her a live chicken is not the same thing either. A refund is a refund, a store credit is a store credit even if it’s on a plastic card.

4. oloranya says:

They told her to stop because returning an item for store credit and then selling it in the parking lot for cash is a common scam run on an almost daily basis by shoplifters.

5. Citizen says:

If she was willing to take that big of a loss on it, she could have also used it to buy a VIsa gift card that they have at the registers, or just used the gift card to buy what she needed while she was at the store.

• bikeoid says:

Exactly – they must have carried *something* that she needed if she was on a tight budget.

• naenae78 says:

Exactly. Or there’s this thing call the internet, where she could use the card to purchase items she needs on their website. I understand the whole single mom, limited income thing…but Target sells a lot of items that a single mom would need.

• naenae78 says:

• FatLynn says:

You can not buy a gift card with a gift card, AFAIK.

• The Brad says:

You can. I’ve bought Microsoft points, iTunes cards, and such with gift cards before. There’s nothing saying you can’t trade out one gift card with another.

• vivalakellye says:

You aren’t able to do so at Target, at least not in my state. Says so right next to the display of gift cards.

• Can't we all just get along? says:

As a cashier, I have made transactions like these.

• RedOryx says:

I’ve been able to do that at my local Target. (I’m in Ohio.)

• ovalseven says:

I’ve tried it here in Michigan. I even used the self-checkout to avoid any raised eyebrows from a cashier. The system wouldn’t allow it.

• atrixe says:

Target recently changed the fine print on their gift cards. I happen to have one in my wallet at the moment, and on the back it says the following:

“This GiftCard can be redeemed for merchandise or services (other than American Express(R) and Visa(R) gift cards and prepaid cards) at Target stores or Target.com, and cannot be redeemed for cash or credit except where required by law.”

6. LabanDenter says:

Heather is a liar.

Claiming she’s a customer, and at the same time saying “I haven’t shopped at Target since gas has skyrocketed and I can no longer afford to make the 120 mile round trip! ”

Hmm, which is it? Customer or not a customer.

PS, you made the 120 mile trip already, if you are a target customer as you claim, you just got 260 bucks to spend at the store, buy what you need/want.

• Cerne says:

Hey I think you’re being too harsh on Heather. Maybe she’s not a liar, maybe she’s just too stupid to understand what the meaning of customer is.

7. RandomHookup says:

Complaining about the 120 mile round trip seems a little ridiculous since you are already there. Buy groceries or something you need all the time — maybe even a gas card. Or use it on target.com. That may not solve your immediate cash issues, but it does free up cash for the future. That’s a better deal than the $150 somebody would probably pay outright without knowing you.

Target is certainly within their rights to shoo you away from selling what looks like a sketchy gift card in the parking lot.

• longfeltwant says:

Came here to say Target.com.

Problem solved. Target is wherever the internet is.

• Can't we all just get along? says:

…Jeez, I just realized that Heather never thought to just buy some stuff at Target, seeing as she was ALREADY THERE. Now she just seems stupid to want $200 when she could get $260 worth of stuff. Load up that car, lady!

8. PadThai says:

I have a problem with this woman’s perspective. I severely doubt anyone straight up called her a “liar” regarding returning a recalled crib.
    I doubt she was going to be able to sell a used crib for anywhere near the original cost, which sounds like what she was refunded.
    The fact that you had to drive 60 miles in order to reach Target is unfortunate if you’re on a tight budget, but not Target’s fault.
    It seems pretty obvious to me that you can’t sell gift cards inside the store. I can’t believe she was shocked when asked to stop.
    Just use the $260 to stock up on lots of stuff that won’t go bad and you’ll need eventually. Lots and lots of toilet paper and peanut-butter.

• matlock expressway says:

To be fair to her, the store had no business telling her they’d refund the money without specifying that it would definitely not be in cash. This is because an actual refund should be expected to be of the same value, and the real value of a $260 Target gift card is definitely worth less than $260 in cash.

A refund ought to refund what was paid, not what a bunch of corporate stooges falsely think is equivalent.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Exactly. If I returned a recalled gift to a store like Target, 5 years later, and was given a $260 gift card, I’d certainly be able to find that much merchandise to take home with me that I could use for my child. If the child is 5, he could be starting kindergarten in a few months, and $260 would go a long way toward school clothes and supplies, especially for a single mom with limited income.

• Can't we all just get along? says:

…I’m pretty sure Target sells clothing and school supplies. Just sayin’.

• Can't we all just get along? says:

Yes, a thousand times, yes. I wonder if she thought everything in the store was poisonous and/or things for aliens.

9. PunditGuy says:

Can the card be used at Target.com?

10. emilyj612 says:

“The girl I spoke with told me that I would get a refund for the crib. I then asked her if I would get the refund right away or if I had to wait for it to arrive in the mail. I then explained to her that I wouldn’t be able to come with out the refund because of the expense of the trip. She assured me I would get it right away.”

She was running low on money and wanted to make sure she would get the refund right away so she could AFFORD the 120 mile round trip. It’s not her fault someone told her the wrong thing and now she’s stuck with a useless gift card when she needs money ASAP. She was trying to make the best of it by selling the gift card. I would be upset too.

11. El_Fez says:

Wait – it’s a recalled product and you cant get cash? What the hell, Target!

12. Extended-Warranty says:

Am I the only one a little bothered by her returning a used crib to get her money back? Recalled or not, she used it.

• CrazyEyed says:

I was bothered as well

• OSAM says:

Are you genuinely retarded? It’s RECALLED. She can’t sell it to anyone BECAUSE IT’S RECALLED. She has to return it.

You’re a moron

• scoutermac says:

Agreed. It does not matter how long she used the crib. It is under a recall.

• CrazyEyed says:

Product recalls are common for children’s furniture and toys. The Moron argument can also be applied to the OP for letting her kid sleep in a defective crib for 5 years. What if it was 10 years, 20? You have to draw the line somewhere and she could have at least checked the recall infromation with Consumer Product Safety Commission prior to calling Target.

The CPSC has specific instructions on each item for a remedy. She could have done it all from home due to her “tight budget” and received a brand new crib (for free) that would have been actually worth selling. She’s expecting a refund almost as if she’d never bought and used the product at all.

• El_Fez says:

Depends – when was the recall? If it was a recent recall (in the last 12-18 months or so), then no, the Moron Label does not apply. If it was 6 years out? That might be a different story.

• Martha Gail says:

I think you could have made your point without resorting to name-calling.

• Costner says:

Stay classy!

• scoutermac says:

Something tells me you work for a company dealing with retail, warranties, or both.

• longfeltwant says:

No, not at all. Recalled cribs are supposed to be returned, that is the whole point of a recall. In fact, it would be wrong NOT to bring it back.

• who? says:

Very few people just keep a crib forever. The kid grows out of it, and if it’s your last kid and you need the money, you sell it on craigslist. She couldn’t do that because the crib was recalled. The recall instructions said to return the crib to the store for a refund. She returned the crib for a refund.

The rest of the story? Meh. I find it hard to believe that she couldn’t find something to do with the gift card without resorting to selling it in the parking lot.

• dru_zod says:

You don’t seem to understand what a recall is.

13. CrazyEyed says:

To be fair, I went to Target’s website.

Depending on the type of recall, the remedy differs but you have to go to the specific product for details and then click on the link for Consumer Product Safety Commission for each product. Some include: getting a repair kit, getting a replacement item from the retail store, receiving a similar item of a different brand or simply contacting the manufacturer for a replacement. It goes without saying you are most likely getting a replacement at no cost to you.

When all else fails, it looks like Target posts the same two numbers for questions on recalled items.

Target Guest Relations for in store purchases at 1-800-440-0680
    Target.com Guest Services for online purchases at 1-800-591-3869

A shot at the OP: The product is used and 5 years old, recalled or not. When a vehicle has a recall, its fixed and returned to you with no refunds. At the very least, she received a full refund of $260 from the original retailer for a used product she was hoping to capitalize on.

There’s a host of things she still could have done with the Target gift card or with the defective product. As for employees, maybe the OP didn’t specify what refund she was expecting on the phone call. To a Target employee, refunds are either scanned back onto the original card from which it was purchased or given via gift card. Since the product was 5 years old a gift card is given as a default. As far as I’m concerned Target was more than accommodating on a 5 year old recalled item.

• scoutermac says:

Lets just be honest. This was a store specific problem. The staff/management at this store did not want to give a cash refund which is their policy. I have had the same issues with Walmart and I find my results vary from store to store.

• Hi_Hello says:

That’s what I was thinking too. She got full price (I assumed) on a product she have fully use for her needs.

If she did sold the crib to someone else, she might get a few bucks for it, the new owner can take it to target for the refund.

• CrazyEyed says:

The product was used to its fullest extent and well past acceptable (in my opinion) time periods for a return regardless of recall. At the very least, send the recalled item in, get a brand new, in box replacement and sell it. If shes willing to inconvenience herself and drive the 120 miles, she can cetainly wait for the manufacturer to ship a new item. She was going to wait to see if there was an interested buyer anyway.

• Blueskylaw says:

So there shouldn’t be recalls on cars that are older than, let’s say 5 years, since it’s already been used and even if the recall is for a reason that could be dangerous/cause death?

14. fortymegafonzies says:

So if for some reason I ever owe Target money, they’ll be cool if I just give them a gift card good at my next garage sale. Seriously though, doesn’t Target get reimbursed by the manufacturer of a recalled item? If so, they have no business whatsoever not giving a cash refund.

• CrazyEyed says:

Had it been a recent purchase I’m sure Target wouldn’t have had an issue refunding to her card. Because she waited 5 years, the original item (non recalled veresion) is no longer on the shelve as a replacement. The only other option for Target (besides the OP contacting the manufacturer for a replacement) is to give the OP a gift card to shop for that replacement. Why should Target lose out on a sale for a 5 year old product they didn’t manufacture?

15. SirWired says:

Contact the CPSC. If the recall notice says you get a refund, you get a refund. As in, actual money. Period. End of story. This is NOT the way recalls are supposed to be handled.

• Costner says:

Citation please?

I love when people make these wild claims that they likely cannot support. First of all, Target has every right to require a receipt for a recalled item. They don’t for the sake of customer service, and in this case it is doubtful the OP would have the receipt since her mother bought the crib. This means they have no idea of knowing for sure if she is the original owner, or if she even bought it at Target.

Thus allowing a refund on a gift card helps to minimize their fraud losses since cash could be spent anywhere whereas a gift card needs to be spent at Target (thus they are only out the products rather than the full cash value if fraud is involved).

Allowing non-receipt refunds via gift card is standard practice for many, many retailers. There is nothing shady or dishonest about this, and it most certainly is not against the law.

• SirWired says:

Citation? Gladly: From http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2010/05/your-simplicity-crib-recall-questions-answered/

Q: I just found on the website that my son’s crib was recalled in September of 2008, but I had never seen anything about this until now. It has the tubular mattress support and the site says that all the cribs with this design are being recalled. What if I don’t have a receipt showing when or where it was purchased? Can I still take it back to the store where it was purchased? I don’t want to take it all apart and make a 35 minute trek to my “local” Walmart, and then be told there’s nothing they can do. Please let me know.

A: —> You do not need a receipt to return a recalled crib to the retailer. <— [Emphasis mine] The recalled cribs were sold at Walmart, Target, Babies R Us and other stores nationwide. Contact the store where the crib was purchased to receive a refund, replacement crib or store credit…

So firstly, they are required to accept the crib for return without any proof whatsoever other than the physical presence of the crib. It's not just for the "sake of customer service" that they do this.

While it doesn't state it here, traditionally it has been up to the consumer to pick the desired form of compensation. While certainly the crib may not have been purchased at Target, it "all comes out in the wash." Babies 'r Us is just as likely to get a Target crib…

16. GingerMom79 says:

Warning! Rant ahead!
    I’ve over all of these idiots complaining about store return policies.
    In this case, the crib was purchased in 2007 by her mother in an unmentioned form (cash,check, credit card,debt card, etc.).
    I understand that the drive is far & gas is expensive but there are always other ways as other users have mentioned to make the giftcard worth money.
    It does suck IF she was treated poorly by employees/management but as someone who has spent many years in retail; 5 of those with Target I have had many people over react to simple situations. I had a 1 year old (customer had receipt) jar of nuts thrown at me because they were stale…I had an electric can opener thrown at me because the customer didn’t have a receipt & had exceeded their 3 no-receipts returns for the year & insisted that no one else would return the can opener for them.
    These policies are put into place mainly because of THEIVES and store are protecting their bottom line. If everywhere store allowed every person to return anything they wanted without a receipt & receive cash back then those stores lives woud be very short lived.
    Here is a novel concept! Read the policy BEFORE you buy from the store OR you could always just SAVE YOUR DAMN RECEIPTS!
    Always remember that the customer service person that you are ranting and raving at probably makes between $8 & $10 an hour and could care less most times and it does you no good to scream and make a scene. It’s more likely to get you denied and removed from the store. That is exactly how I handled most people who refused to calm down.
    If you come in with a level head, & understanding the policy, you have a greater chance of the people actually wanting to help you and trying everything that they know.

• scoutermac says:

– Source:

• longfeltwant says:

“There may be some exceptions to this policy.”

It’s important to read to the end.

• Hi_Hello says:

the crib was a gift. no receipts.

I hope you call the cops on the customer s who throw stuff at you. That’s assault, aint it? Customers need to learn they can’t go around hurting CSR.

• acknight says:

“Please explain why ANYONE would reasonably think they were going to receive a CASH refund for an item purchased in 2007? The article doesn’t state that the person on the phone said she would recieve cash/giftcard.”

Because this is a recall, not a return. A *recall* is not the same as a standard return – and is not subject to those sorts of restrictions, and more often than not is being paid for by the manufacturer.

• dru_zod says:

Exactly. Recalls are usually done for safety concerns, like a DVD player I bought from Wal-Mart a few years ago that was known to overheat and start fires. They usually don’t require receipts, a box, or anything other than the specific item being recalled. I returned my recalled, fire-hazard DVD player to Wal-Mart with no box and no receipt more than three years after I bought it. The associate at first tried to give me a gift card, but once I pointed out the recall notice on the bulletin board and told her it was a recall not a return, she gave me cash. It didn’t even matter that I had used it 3 years with no problems. A recall is a recall, period.

• Costner says:

Exactly. I award you 1000 Internets.

• sprybuzzard says:

Because the crib was recalled. Did you skim the story or read it?

17. superml says:

Why exactly couldn’t she just spend the gift card while she was there?

18. dourdan says:

this is a site where you can sell gift cards.

19. RenegadePlatypus says:

This transaction affects Target very differently than people returning items that would otherwise go back into inventory or sent back to the manufacturer. In the event of a recall, the manufacturer has to make the department store completely whole for accepting and processing recalled items. Target gets a deal from the manufacturer for issuing store credit instead of cash. This is because it costs less for the manufacturer to make Target whole again, since the customer with be spending the refund at the store (or perhaps not spending at all as the card sits in a drawer somewhere, so the liability is never “realized”). So this type of policy benefits the manufacturer, benefits the store, and screws the customer in the event of a recall.

• SirWired says:

Well, if it was a Simplicity Crib, the retailer is SOL, as the company is out of business, yet the recall is still valid.

20. GaijenSoft says:

I actually love gift cards. Walked into a store with $0, no gift cards. Got a $0 phone on a 2 year contract, with a $200 gift card bonus. Walk out with $200 on a piece of plastic.

Next day, walk back into store with $100 + gift card. Purchase a $250 item. Drive 20 minutes to the next store, return it, and get $250 in cash, no gift card.

Is it sleazy? Yeah. But I don’t want a gift card. I want cash. If you gave me a cash incentive that day to purchase something, I probably would have.

21. wombats lives in [redacted] says:

With the recall she came out ahead, and unless her vehicle gets well under the average mpg (25 mpg as of 2004) the trip should cost around 15$. She has other options to resolve the issue with the gift card, but she should recognize that financially this worked out better than no recall at all.

22. az123 says:

Here is a brilliant one, while she was at the store she could have done some shopping… Or… and this is radical in this day and age… use the card to buy things at the Target online site.

23. balderdashed says:

Cribs are typically recalled because they are dangerous — e.g., a product defect has been discovered that could result in strangulation or suffocation of a child. In fact, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 11 million dangerous cribs have been recalled since 2007. Thus, the manufacturer and Target aren’t doing the customer any special favors by taking back a recalled crib, even after five years. They are protecting themselves from major lawsuits, not to mention bad publicity. We can argue about Target’s role in all of this, but “Child Dies in Crib Bought at Target” is clearly not a headline Target wants to see. It seems to me that it’s the consumer who’s doing Target a favor by traveling 60 miles to return the crib. Although it was inappropriate for her to try to sell the gift card (or anything else) inside of Target, she should have received a full cash refund. That’s how I read Target’s policy statement, but moreover, such a policy is in Target’s best interest.

24. PunditGuy says:

Don’t being so willing to part with more than 20% of the value of something for sake of a little convenience. Limited resources stretch farther when you don’t artificially limit them further.

25. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Most 5 year old cribs are drop-side cribs. Drop-side cribs are now banned and cannot even be sold second hand. The OP is lucky her’s had a recall notice as non-recalled drop-side crib owners are now stuck with worthless cribs.

26. Peggee has pearls and will clutch them when cashiers ask "YOU GOT A WIC CHECK MA'AM?" says:

While I don’t necessarily agree with refunding recalled items by gift card (since the store gets reimbursed by the manufacturer and won’t lose anything), I smell histrionics. There are a few bad apples out there, but most store employees are so afraid of customers contacting corporate that whatever they might think, they never say it out loud. I highly doubt they “kept telling her she was a liar.” What’s more likely is that she kept insisting she was told she could have cash and they kept repeating that it’s not their policy, rather than bluntly stating “You’re lying, ma’am, no one told you that.”

Second, she wasn’t one of their customers. By her own admission she never shops there because it’s too far away. She didn’t even make the original crib purchase, got a refund, and is now bothering customers in the parking lot trying to sell them a gift card, possibly pulling the whole “I’m a single mom” guilt trip and making them feel uncomfortable.

We could have had a whole article about recalled returns being in the form of a gift card without the whole “they called me a liar and I’m a single mom!!1!” angle.

27. Cerne says:

Yeah you can`t just start selling things in someone else`s store without permission. This isn’t a story and Target has done nothing wrong here.

28. Target_OMG says:

I guess she didn’t know about online sites to trade in gift cards or maybe she needed cash immediately.

What surprises me is that nobody wanted to buy her gift card & save $60, If she showed a receipt to prove it was valid, they would have gotten a great deal. But I suppose someone could spend almost all the money before leaving the store & still have the near worthless gift card in their possession. Calling to verify the amount left on the card would be easy though.

I hope things work out for her.

• msbask v2 says:

I think it’s safe to assume that this was a drop-side crib considering that it’s 5-years old and was recalled. Drop-side cribs aren’t even sold anymore, so the chances of her selling hers used is incredibly small (if it’s even legal to do so). She got $260 more than she would have gotten anywhere else. I don’t understand the complaint when she could have used that gift card to buy everything from toiletries to clothing to food to sporting goods.

And no, I would not buy a gift card from a stranger in Target’s parking lot. Who would?

• I look at both sides of the story says:

“People are being harsh. This mother is obviously on a tight budget & needed CASH, probably to pay bills. Maybe spending $260 in Target or online was not within her budget. ”

That was my first thought. I was utterly impecunious when I was in college and later on in my first job. I would have done just about anything to get that much cash to pay my rent, water, electricity. Somethings like toilet paper, I “borrowed” from public restrooms.

I find it amazing that people here have all of ways of how she should have spent her money, why Target is being taken advantage of, why the woman shouldn’t get her money back for a RECALLED item.

29. makoto says:

If you had just contacted the MANUFACTURER of the crib, you probably could have avoided all of this. You had no receipt, I’m sure, so refunding the crib was already a big step from their perspective and all they are authorized to give is a gift card. If you wanted money back, you would have had to return it to the manufacturer. I’m confused why anyone would drive that far to return a crib. The manufacturer would have paid you to ship it back!

30. ovalseven says:

Assuming she didn’t need cash for gas to get home, she could always purchase a large, brand-new item and sell that the same way she was going to sell the crib. She’d be no worse off than she started. A new item would probably net more more cash than an old crib anyway.

Buy a cheap TV or something, then offer it on Craigslist. Keep your receipt in case anyone is suspicious it might be stolen.

31. rlmiller007 says:

first off the people answering the phone are not rocket surgeons. She spoke to someone that figured the card is the same as cash. After all it is. Target is full of stuff to buy for everyday use. It’s not like this was a fireplace accessory store (or similar). Second she might have annoyed someone and they spoke to a manager. It is there duty to react to the situation. She should have went in the store, bought some posterboard and a pen and stood by the street, to sell it. problem solved.