We Don’t Know How To Hold This KFC Streetwise Cheese Top Burger But We’d Like To Try

Ah, to be able to instantly teleport anywhere in the world. We’d be asking Scotty to beam us on over to the Philippines right about now, to have a face-to-face meeting with KFC’s new “Streetwise” burger it’s peddling there. Looks like a normal chicken burger, no? But wait, what’s that orange blanket atop the bun?

Why… it’s melted cheese, of course, and who doesn’t like cheese? Should it matter if eating it with your hands becomes nigh on impossible or at the very least, an absolutely greasy experience? No. If you are near one of these, you have a responsibility to yourself and others to attempt to eat it sans utensils.

The Streetwise Cheese Top burger is featured on KFC Philippines’ Facebook page, and was spotted by an eagle-eyed Consumerist reader. The actual patty is Original Recipe chicken with a garlic parmesan sauce, according to KFC. But all that really matters here is we know cheese when we see it, and we’re intrigued.

KFC Philippines [Facebook]

Comments

1. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

The cheese gives grip so you can multi-task on the street.

2. TheOnlyBob says:

cheese please

3. HalOfBorg says:

Nope – don’t want. Looks messy to me. I don’t even like too much chili on a hotdog. And the McRib? McNo. :)

• HFC says:

Mmm, I love a big messy sandwich. This one doesn’t look messy enough for me. It needs lettuce and tomato to add moisture so the mayo starts dripping out of it.

4. nishioka says:

All for the low, low price of P fitty.

• Kabusted says:

• Dixon Cox says:

At about 42.3 Php per dollar, it’s $1.18. Cheap here but rather expensive for Filipinos.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Yah. I am from the Philippines, it’s actually not that expensive considering a lot of the better fast food chains now sell food that costs about Php100 (I loved the KFC ZINGER and I remember it costs about Php100, I bet it increased now).

Although, you do have to consider the portions. A small drink here in the US is equivalent to a large in the Philippines.

5. Rebecca K-S says:

Chicken burger?

Eff that noise.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Trader Joe’s used to carry an awesome chicken patty. This, however, looks nothing like that.

• suezahn says:

God, I miss those chicken patties! particularly the ones with artichoke and asagio cheese? ::sniff::

6. Blueskylaw says:

Does the Coke come with ice cubes on the outside?

7. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Why is the “burger” orange???

(I still want one, I’m just wondering….)

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

I mean, I’ve had chicken patties, and that’s still a weird color.

• Blueskylaw says:

“Why is the “burger” orange???”

It’s from New Jersey.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Same reason as why Cheetos is orange? :P That’s how it goes in the Philippines for el cheapo cheese products.

8. Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

So what’s the benefit of putting the cheese on the bun instead of IN the bun????? It’s cold by the time you get it so there’s no additional melty goodness like you’d have if it was on the hot chicken.

• Kabusted says:

So you can capture the bug that lands on it while you’re eating it and stare him in the eyes before you eat him.

If it was under the bun, at least you wouldn’t know that you ate that same bug.

• Kate Blue says:

And won’t it stick to the top of the container if you get it to go?

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I was thinking of that same question — I guess it’s for the novelty of it?

You get the same effect when you simply flip the cheese side of the bun upside down. If I were still living in the Philippines it’s not probably one of my “must try” fastfood, though. I don’t care much for original recipe chicken — hot & spicy FTW!

9. Randomeis says:

I’m going to take a guess say it is about the the texture of the cheese when left outside. More of a “Public School Cheese Toast” kind of thing. They are possibly left out and not hot off the oven melted just toasted.

10. dicobalt says:

The inflammatory bowel disease burger. Made with the finest chemicals and brought to you by KFC. There’s fast food, Then there’s KFC.

11. Hi_Hello says:

it’s small enough to just pop it in your mouth without any mess.

12. The Beer Baron says:

I suppose this is the sandwich version of the Failure Pile in a Sadness Bowl. Or was that the Doubling Down on Your Cardiac Health sandwich they introduced a few years ago? KFC seems to be vastly outstripping British cuisine on the amount of dishes created on a dare, it seems.

13. rookie says:

With me to every meal,
    I bring a hammer and a straw…
    I’d squish that thing, and slurp it up,
    Unless itz against the law…

14. LVSinner says:

“You’re holding it wrong”

15. 420greg says:

Not bad looking sandwich for $1.18

16. Kestris says:

I’m failing to see the point of putting the cheese on top of the bun. Seems like a marketing fail to me.

• rookie says:

Exactly, would Ford or Chevy design a car with the seats on the roof?

• PragmaticGuy says:

If you remember, Subaru’s circa 1980′s BRAT pickup had two seats in the pickup bed. Not many people went for that option but you could get it if you wanted. And at the time, before rollover standards were implemented, they were legal to be in while driving as they were equipped with seat belts.

17. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Another interesting thing I want to add that most (if not all) KFC stores in the Philippines serve bottomless gravy. As in a couple Thermos pitchers full of it on the condiments counter. That’s because customers typically like a LOT of gravy on their food. Like, in soupy proportions.

Some customers are douches — they just grab the pitchers and take it to their table so they won’t have to walk to the condiments table to refill. That’s why some KFC stores actually CHAIN up the Thermos pitchers to the condiments table.

Other KFC stores just have “table service” for gravy — meaning they will have someone carrying the Thermos and go around tables to dispense your desired amount of gravy.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I also forget to mention that I know some people who actually use a fork and knife to eat a sandwich/burger. Not just the “slice-a-small-piece-and-use-your-hands-to-eat-that-piece” but actually fork bite-by-bite. Same goes with pizza (so eating pizza a la Donald Trump is not much of a “new thing” to me).

So I’m not going to be surprised that this Streetwise burger can (or will) be eaten with utensils. But considering it’ll likely be swimming in gravy anyway…

Point is, I guess “Streetwise” is a pretty ironic name for this type of sandwich.

18. lumpia91791 says:

My best guess is that Filipinos are used to food with cheese on top : )

We have a pastry where the top is coated with butter cream and shredded cheese. It’s so thick that on warms days it will actually melt together forming a thick rich lyer of cheese. It’s called an ensaymada. You can get them here in Filipino bakeries and they are usually sold in individual plastic packages.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

OMG I love ensaymadas. The soft, spongy, cheesy goodness — either Starbucks or the humble Goldilocks.

I miss my Spanish bread and Pan de Coco days. Sigh.