At Least No One At UPS Wants To Steal Verb Conjugation Posters

Should Lindsey feel violated that her UPS package was clearly opened and rifled through, or grateful that she was only ordering teaching supplies that the rifler apparently found unworthy of stealing? Or maybe the box was secured with particularly un-sticky tape. Whatever the case, this is what she received on her doorstep.

I recently ordered some specialty teaching supplies from Carlex. While they were set to be delivered the following Friday, there was a delay and the date was changed to the following week. That wasn’t a problem. The day it was due to arrive, I heard the ring at my door and opened it to what is seen in my photo – the box was already opened. The UPS Guy was already in his truck and left without an explanation.

There was no explanation on or in the box, either. I don’t know whether to feel relieved or slightly insulting that my set of educational posters and bathroom passes were not worth stealing – everything I bought was accounted for.

So what happened? Was the box particularly threatening? Did a deliveryman with sticky fingers decide partway through his theft that posters instructing on verb conjugations weren’t worth it? Who knows. Thanks, UPS!

Lindsey doesn’t really have a claim against UPS, since there’s nothing missing, but she should still let them and Carlex know what happened, armed with this photo.

Comments

1. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Eh, the box probably got mangled during shipping. If someone working for UPS wanted to steal something, they probably would have peeled off the existing tape, then taped the box back up when they were done, or even just say the package was left on the doorstep when it wasn’t. Otherwise they’d get caught after only one or two attempts.

2. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

Ha ha :) I feel a sense of comfort myself when I carry my backpack with my Chinese language textbook and notes, knowing that anyone who tries to pickpocket me will be sorely disappointed at what they’ve gotten.

• Kabusted says:

I have multiple pockets and compartments in mine, where one has a motion activated rattlesnake that actually slithers around, rattles and strikes when you stick your hand in the adjoining compartment.

Yeah, I’m a douche.

3. Kabusted says:

past, present, infinitive, I am, I was, You were, He is, GAAAAAAH! Fizzle, POP!,

• crispyduck13 says:

Glad I wasn’t the only one bothered by this. Hope she ordered this for a friend and is not an educator herself.

• Dirt Farmer says:

“What’s this, then? People called Romans, they go to the house?”

4. SirWired says:

Looks to me like the tape let go. Some of the contents may have spilled, and the employee put them back in the box.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I was thinking about that, too. The tape gave way — maybe the box was recycled and the package guy didn’t bother to reinforce the bottom of the box before shipping the items out.

Or like you mentioned, mangled and the contents spilled out so they put them back in.

• I look at both sides of the story says:

“I was thinking about that, too. The tape gave way ”

I’ve received more than one package where the package was so poorly sealed that I was amazed that the item(s) didn’t fall out of the box before the package arrived. I like to call it “pre-opened” to save me the trouble of using a knife to open the package.

The other possibility is that UPS delivered the package to the wrong person who opened the package, realized it the package wasn’t for them and gave the package back to UPS.

Personally, I doubt that UPS opened the package.

5. rihan says:

What usually happens is companies feel one strip of tape that barely goes over the edges is enough to keep the box sealed during shipping. What we have here is an example of what can happen.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Which is why I always did three. One down the middle and two on either side. If the box was particularly heavy or full, I did extra across and around too. Learned the hard way after a box of catalogs split open in transit and I had to resend. To Hawaii. >_<

6. MonkeyMonk says:

Seems to me the OP is making a fuss about nothing. You know, sometimes packages open up — especially when you have a heavy item and a single piece of tape is used across the divide.

Lindsay will probably never know exactly what happened but to immediate assume UPS “clearly opened and rifled through” her package seems like a HUGE leap.

This should really be an article about properly sealing packages not insinuating that UPS are thieves.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

It’s interesting how some people just assume someone’s after them right away rather than think of other possibilities [thinking Occam’s razor], playing the victim card way too quick.

I’d put on my CSI shades and double-check if it was indeed opened and rummaged through. I had several cases where it was just bad shipment handling, but my spouse had an issue with shipments of beef jerky sticks that was obviously stolen while in the packing facility — at least one stick was missing from the pack when it was delivered to us (we happened to count the contents). At first we thought it may be just a fluke — it’s just a stick of jerky, no biggie, but when it happened the second time, we reported it back to Amazon. They refunded us the purchase in full.

So I do agree she should report this to the vendor, though. Just to make sure that this could be prevented in the future.

7. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

This just happened to me, too. I ordered some soapmaking supplies. When it arrived, I noticed the paper packing tape had been cut through on the top – along the sides and top, and the UPS label was cut through – and it had been badly retaped with clear tape.

The box was dented, too, but the same packing tape that was used on the bottom seams of the box was intact.

I took photos and emailed the company before I opened it in case something was missing. It turned out nothing was missing, but I have to wonder if someone didn’t open it along the way and decide there was nothing worth stealing.

• Not Given says:

I’ve had stuff from Amazon come via USPS that the paper tape on the bottom of the box was torn all the way open, nearly always the tape at both ends on the bottom and the top is torn open. (I subscribe to canned cat food, so it’s heavy.)

• Cacao says:

Soap making supplies means lye. A meth-head was looking for lye. You can’t buy it (goodbye Red Devil brand) from supermarket shelves anymore because of stupid meth-heads.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

That probably explains it, and when they opened the package and discovered scents and shea butter, they were probably sorely disappointed! I got Red Crown high test lye at the mom and pop hardware store in town. No need for mail order.

8. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

The UPS guy didn’t realize they were VERB conjugation posters. Oh, well.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Yeah — he was particularly looking for pronouns and gerunds, much to his disappointment.

9. elangomatt says:

I think the OP is overreacting here. It looks to me that there are books in the bottom of the box there and the weight of books can add up fast. If the bottom was only secured with one lonely strip of tape then I don’t think it is out of the realm of possibility that the tape wouldn’t be able to hold all that weight. Even more so since it would appear that the tape was put on unevenly so that there was more of the tape on one flap than the flap that came unsealed. I think my issue would probably with Carlex for poor packaging rather than UPS for opening the box and going through it.

10. PragmaticGuy says:

I get stuff all the time from UPS and I’ve never had a problem with the way the packages show up. Hell, the post office mangles more of my stuff than anyone else and that’s when they even decide to deliver it.

11. scoosdad says:

I don’t know if it’s something in the recycled cardboard these days, but I’ve noticed more and more boxes from Amazon coming through with the tape loose on them. I used an Amazon box to send something back recently and I had a hard time getting the clear package tape to reliably stick to the box. (It was a brand name tape too, 3M, not some dollar store knockoff).

As far as UPS hightailing it back to the truck, that seems to be a standard rule they follow whenever a package is damaged, giving you no chance to refuse it or note that it was received damaged on their delivery records.

12. taaurrus says:

• I look at both sides of the story says:

“I can’t believe I didn’t see a single comment from anybody so far expressing surprise that the UPS guy actually RANG THE DOOR BELL!”

More often than not, my Fedex, UPS and even the USPS people knocks on my door or rings the bell. I wonder if the delivery people attitudes differ in certain areas. From conversations I had with various delivery people, they bid to keep this route but sometimes they lose to others with higher seniority.