Welcome To The Slightly Newer Consumerist.com!

If you’re looking at Consumerist right now and thinking “something’s not the same,” well… you’re right. We’ve been busy making some tweaks — some you’ll see and some you won’t — but it’s essentially the same Consumerist.com before it got prettied up for the society ball. The biggest change is that, because of the updates you will have to reset your password using the e-mail address you originally used to sign up with. Rest assured that this is not a security issue; it’s just necessitated by the switch to the new platform.

As with all new endeavors, it can’t go without any problems whatsoever, so if you experience problems logging in, contact , and we’ll do our best to resolve the issue ASAP. But please keep in mind that while we have millions of readers there are only a few of us; your patience is appreciated in advance.

In the coming weeks, we’ll be asking for more feedback and suggestions on possible new features for the site, so stay tuned.

As always, donations — which go toward site maintenance and improvement — are not just appreciated, but are also 100% tax-deductible.

Once again, thank you all for being patient and for reading Consumerist!

Comments

1. Shouhdes says:

Woo

• evilpete says:

The profile page’s history *still* does not indicate if anyone replies/follows up to a comment

• Telekinesis123 says:

This was my most wanted feature. Disappointment. For good timely and active conversation people need to be informed when there has been a reply to their comment, also, when you click on your comment it should take you right to it with replies not just the story page, you shouldn’t have to look through 4 pages of comments to find yours. New replies should be highlighted upon first viewing them as well.

2. nightshade74 says:

WordPress?

• Akuma Matata says:

• chefboyardee says:

Also apparently the HTML5 boilerplate, which is obvious if you highlight any text.

That pink does not match your site, Consumerist! HTML5 boilerplate 101 – change that color immediately. :)

• You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

I like the pink! I think I just might highlight all the comments before I read them.

3. HalOfBorg says:

Can’t login with my display name (like before), have to use username. Needed by new system?

• MrEvil says:

Edit your profile, and Fill in the “Nickname” field, that will change your display name. It defaults to your username.

• HalOfBorg says:

I have. I can POST with my correct display name, just can’t login with it. Annoying is all since I use the same name most places.

4. Shadowfire says:

Mobile site appears to be broken, but overall looks good?

• chefboyardee says:

Looks ok I guess, but functionality-wise I’m getting errors left and right. Every comment I make resolves to a 502 – bad gateway (though the comment posts). Every other refresh of the homepage gives me a 503 error, “A temporary error has occurred. If the problem persists, please contact support@wpengine.com or check our status blog for updates.”

Between this and the lack of collapsed comments, I am very much not impressed with the downgrade to WordPress so far.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Me too – I came here to see if anyone else was getting these errors. I’m using Firefox v13.0.1. I hope we don’t have to use IE :(

• icerabbit says:

Same problem.

Plus slow. 10s response time to clicking on a link, bad gateway errors,…

I don’t mind the non-collapsed comments though, saves me from hitting expand all for every article :)

• evilpete says:

I’m getting the error 40% of the time

• dragon:ONE says:

Same here. Chrome v19.0.1084.56 and getting 503s left and right.

5. Cyniconvention says:

I wonder if the comments don’t stack in that awkward way anymore.

6. ChairmanMeow says:

Looks different.

7. Press1forDialTone says:

Wonder what the actual reason for the massive change was?
    After 30+ years in IT, any change requiring across the board
    password changes used to cause some of my colleagues to
    be committed to the state institution afterward…..

• oloranya says:

Looks like they completely changed the CMS. It’s running on WordPress now.

• Craige says:

A change requiring a password reset could be as simple as migrating to a new, more secure hashing algorithm. Once the new algorithm is being used, the old hash will be useless, and due to the nature of hashes, one can’t derive a hash for the new algorithm from the old hash.

• EarlNowak says:

Might not even be more secure.. a switch movable type to wordpress is also a switch from Perl to PHP. Perl’s crypt() function doesn’t salt the same way as php’s crypt() function, I don’t think, so it’s impossible for the CMS to know if passwords are correct or not.

(I once did a similar migration and got around it by writing a small script that took the password and hashed it, checked the hash against the stored value using perl. If it was correct, the script updated a toggle in SQL and called a php script to hash the PW using PHP crypt and update the stored value. The perl script was only called if the toggle wasn’t set. It was transparent for users and after 3 months I discontinued the hack and forced a reset for all non-updated passwords.)

8. bkeyport says:

Gotta love wordpress.

9. bkeyport says:

now if they could only get the comments to post newest first, and take less than 30 minutes to post a comment.

• rmorin says:

Completely disagree. The oldest comments usually have the greatest deal of discussion to them because they stay on the main page throughout the comment cycle. If you showed the newest, there would be fewer in-depth discussions because comments would be constantly bumped off the first page.

Granted if you have a novel comment after then first page its not likely to be seen, however you should be able to align your comment to one of the first 50 posts anyway.

• raydee o'bugg says:

it does look like they’ve fixed the comment order so that replies to a comment now stack from oldest at the top to newest at the bottom.

For example, I am posting after rmorin. Judging from other comments on this page, I will appear below rmorin.

10. zigziggityzoo says:

finally off the old gawker media gimp system eh? Nice nice. Hopefully comments don’t take 60 seconds to post anymore.

• Tim says:

They got off Gawker a while ago with their major redesign (the one that brought the look and feel it essentially has now). I think they were on Movable Type before though, and this is on WordPress.

11. Tim says:

Things seem to work faster, so that’s good. I like that you kept almost the entire look and feel while switching to WordPress.

I’m a fan.

12. Demoliiton Man says:

Much better system. Great job!

13. bkeyport says:

wow. been playing around with the new comments system, and it’s actually slower. Great job!

• LostClan02 says:

And still has no edit or delete buttons! Progress!

• raydee o'bugg says:

And we have 6 social networks/aggregation site buttons for each thread because you know, people love those buttons!

awaiting moderation

• rdclark says:

I always assumed that was intentional, to discourage using the comments for pseudo-realtime conversation.

14. KyBash says:

The sign-in was a run-around (hit the same screen three times), and my username appears on the screen where my display name used to, but it’s still free, and I mostly only come here to see what other idiots are saying about the posts, so, in my book, it’s okay.

15. Minneapolis says:

When I highlight text it’s pink. What’s the deal with that?

16. Raziya says:

Comments are running pretty slow. Seems to be working all right otherwise though. I do like the change to not have to open all the replies to read them!

17. Shadowfire says:

Hah instead of just broken, now loading the mobile site brings you to the full site to a story from 2006. Oops! :)

18. ReverendTed says:

I appreciate that there’s a mobile site, now, so that’s a plus.

19. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

So we get an ‘edit’ button now? Probably not.

20. smo0 says:

Good times.

21. norska says:

this might be a good upgrade – I can finally edit my profile again… Now, can I post?

22. obfuscated says:

D’oh. Apparently I had my account registered to a now-defunct email address – and now I get to audition to be a commenter! Woohoo!

23. CosmosHuman says:

I like WordPress. Great job!

24. stevenh8 says:

WordPress. Hmmmm.
    Nicely done.

25. MrEvil says:

Password reset successful. I wonder if display name works properly. I noticed there’s another field in the profile called Nickname.

26. MauraAcastus says:

This is not my username!!! My username used to be snape and now its MauraAcastus???

27. milrtime83 says:

Does submitting a comment not take a minute or 2 anymore?

28. dolemite says:

Funny, a total revamp and the one thing everyone wanted (an edit button) isn’t there.

29. Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

The page seems more cluttered to me now, and I hate the white background…how about dulling that down some so we don’t get retinal burn.

30. chefboyardee says:

The black headlines are significantly harder to read when just trying to scan the homepage.

31. DadCooks says:

Took 3 attempts to reset my password, and 2 attempts to correct my profile.

From some of the previous comments it seems this transition was not as smooth as Consumerist had hoped. Why do companies keep falling for the hype that a software upgrade and/or conversion is going to solve all of your problems. Always seems to exasperate old problems and create new ones.

Still too much sizzle (e.g.: social networking links) and not enough steak (e.g.: edit function).

• RandomHookup says:

My guess is that most of the impetus for a change comes from the back office and not the front. Usually, it’s that some version doesn’t work with the latest and greatest software or the servers are overtaxed. Customer issues aren’t at the forefront of the changes.

32. Mitogenesis says:

33. Dave B. says:

It’s taking almost as long to load a page as it used to take to post a comment.

• Dave B. says:

It’s taking almost as long to load a page as it STILL takes to post a comment.

• AstroPig7 says:

Try logging out. For some reason, that made everything on this site move much faster. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to comment.

34. Mitogenesis says:

Nothing but problems so far. Pages aren’t loading, having to reload them more than once. Posted and now it says post is waiting for moderation? Really. Page errors, such as page not found, duplicate comments, blah. Yuck. 502 bad gateway? Comments now take two or three times to post if they post, this one didnt so I will keep at it until it does.

• Mitogenesis says:

• Mitogenesis says:

Took three attempts for the above post to post I got bad gateway every time. Then on the fourth attempt it says duplicate entry and that was how I learned that it successfully posted and it never confirmed a post just always gave bad gateway. MEH I hope they fix this broken thing. I don’t want to spend a lot of time trying to get a post to stick. Whats with the “your comment is awaiting moderation.” What happened to my pict and user name MEH

35. Kuri says:

Hmm, yeah, it does look pretty much the same

36. AstroPig7 says:

Okay, I no longer have an avatar or any editing features in my profile. I can’t even change my nickname. Lovely.

• AstroPig7 says:

So if I log out and view my profile, then my avatar appears. If I look at my previous message in this thread, then my avatar appears. If I log in and view my profile, then my avatar is gone.

37. Martha Gail says:

Yikes, can we lose the hot pink highlighting? It’s probably built into the theme (I use wordpress every day at work). Is there a way to make the comments collapsable?

38. RAEdwards says:

RSS Feed had to be readded in Google Reader.

• RAEdwards says:

Scratch that. RSS is not updating. I have to manually remove and readd the rss feed to see new posts show up in Google Reader.

• omargosh says:

I’m having trouble w/ my feed as well. It looks like they changed the URL from /index.xml to /feed … I think. How to merge the posts I saved with the new URL (let alone purge the ones I deleted on the old URL)? Guess I’ll have to rename the old one “Consumerist – OLD” or something. Anybody else have ideas?

39. TD99 says:

Getting “Bad Gateway” when I submit a comment. If I click Back then submit again, it says “duplicate post detected”.

40. TD99 says:

Getting “502 – Bad Gateway” when I submit a comment. If I click Back then submit again, it says “duplicate post detected”.

• Dave B. says:

Apparently even though it detects your duplicate post it has no problem at all allowing it…

41. TheMansfieldMauler says:

I keep getting random “temporary error has occurred” messages.

42. icerabbit says:

Seems things are running slow.

10sec response time for page to load.

Submitting a comment takes 60secs and comes back with:

502 Bad Gateway
    nginx/0.7.65

Going back one page and resubmitting again it says the comment already exists.

Clicking on any link randomly gives:

Error!

Hope you guys are tweaking the system :)

43. frocky says:

I’m no longer able to receive Consumerist updates via my Google Reader. Anyone else having this problem?

44. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’m getting a heck of a lot of errors when loading pages, both when commenting and when just clicking a link for an article. Hopefully will be figured out soon.

• AtlantaCPA says:

I’m getting about a 75% failure rate for clicks. So one out of four times I try to read an article it actually works. I’d say the upgrade is a colossal downgrade in disguise.

• D-FENS says:

I was also, but it seems to have cleared up.

45. scoosdad says:

But now, no way to preview a comment anymore before it posts?

It’s bad enough not having an edit button. At least by previewing a post you had a chance to fix any bugs in it, like any embedded HTML code that was previously allowed. Ugh.

What then was gained, really? So you don’t have to click ‘expand all’ anymore?

46. Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

Every other mouse click or refresh results in an error, code 503. Very annoying. I’m using Firefox, latest release.

47. Costner says:

I realize they are probably still working out some bugs, but talk about a massive step backwards. I would never expect these types of issues on a major website although being non-profit I can somewhat understand.

So far I’ve had to use my F5 key more often than I would during a hunt for the BOC on woot.com. I have noticed pictures with broken links, numerous 404 errors, 502 and 503 WordPress errors…. the list goes on.

All things considered… this is pretty horrible for the day after a release. If any for-profit website acted like this, (Walmart, Best Buy, NewEgg, Amazon etc) I’d probably be reading some outrage on this very site.

• Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

You’re having the same issues I am. And you’re right, if I went live with this type of “upgrade” I’d get shot.

48. IamJohnBrown says:

It’s got that new car smell… or perhaps the smell of the mechanic who drove your old car around to the front of the shop after working on it.

49. gman863 says:

“But please keep in mind that while we have millions of readers…”

It that truly millions of distinct hits, or the same math moms who hate JC Penny use?

50. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Good thing wpengine has a 60 day money back guarantee. I would hate to see Consumerist have to do a chargeback.

51. elangomatt says:

A fix to the RSS feed might be nice too. I just assumed that Consumerist was taking an extra long weekend or something until I actually loaded up the website a bit ago.

• elangomatt says:

Ok nevermind I figured out on my own that the RSS feed address has changed. I’d be nice to get the pictures back into the feed though.

52. El_Fez says:

Please god, my kingdom for an edit button!

• SJActress says:

My kingdom, too.

Take ALL the kingdoms!

• SJActress says:

And I just noticed that my comments now show up without me having to refresh the page. That’s nice. I feel like consumerist has joined 2005, finally.

It would also be nice if the entire page didn’t have to reload. You know, like, comments load separately from articles? That would rock. And would be much more 2012.

53. GitEmSteveDave says:

What could possibli go wrong?

54. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I just logged in to see if I can comment again and it tells me that I just registered and I will have to “audition” by leaving comments that must be checked first. WTF?

55. Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

But, do we get an edit button? Please? I guess that’s something we could only dream about. Though I’m glad for one thing–I no longer have to zoom in to see the contents of this site (though that is more of an issue with Chrome Beta for Android on this Asus Transformer than anything.) Looks slightly nicer–like your way to post to Fark now–but an post-edit feature would have been super sweet.

56. msbask v2 says:

Anyone know what to do if you can’t access the email address you originally signed up with Consumerist? My password has been reset, but sent to an email address that goes nowhere.

I actually had to sign up again because I can’t find any contact info for this issue.

Suggestions?

57. IGNORE says:

Doesn’t Tax Deductible only apply if you itemize? I think only about 23% of filings itemize. Big deal!

58. Pagan wants a +1 button says:

So….my avatar is gone and it won’t let me reload it because it doesn’t meet some unspecified criteria. The number of comments in this thread is showing 133, but I can only see two pages of them, for about a whopping 28 or so. Before upgrade, I could at least see 100 before clicking Next started to circle back around. Are we still fixing bugs?

59. Fisher1949 says:

This screener is a disgrace. She spills human ashes then laughs at the passenger struggling to collect them, what kind of animal does that? This is what we get when TSA hires high school dropouts with rap sheet, gives them a mall cop badge and allows them to harass innocent people with impunity.

Yet another case where a TSA screener disobeyed regulations, abused their position and caused harm to a passenger. This is the same agency that allows a known pedophile, Thomas Harkin, to stay on as a supervisor in Philadelphia.

TSA and the airlines refer to passengers as “fares” and have absolutely no regard for the feelings or welfare of the passenger. They regularly treat us with less respect than a freight shipment.

Every other occupation is accountable for their actions including police, medical personnel and teachers. If they exceed their authority or abuse their position, the victim can prosecute the individual and sue their employer.

There are laws to protect citizens from abuses by police for a reason and the same standards should be applied to TSA.

It is unacceptable to continue to allow these creeps to harass and humiliate people on a whim. The agent should be prosecuted for desecrating human remains and the agency sued for damages.

60. 808 says:

Anyone else having to reset your password multiple times? Thankfully, the breadcrumb trail from my e-mail has worked thus far.

Hopefully that situation can be fixed. Sorry for posting it here — the second paragraph of this story asks us to contact if we have problems but doesn’t specify just how to make this contact. There’s a space between “contact” and the subsequent comma, so perhaps a name/phrase/hyperlink went missing?